Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
icon14.gif  Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Tue, 14 June 2005 09:47 Go to next message
G'day all,

I have the opportunity to pick up a average condition KE55, please take not this is the late model one with the ugly grille and out of date square headlights.

Now i have 2 spare round lights and a early KE30 grille,

I want to know if it just bolts straight in?

I'am assuming it does as there pretty much the same cars,

My only concern was that the square headlights may have had different mounting brackets, can someone verify this?

Cheers Trent
  Send a private message to this user    
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Tue, 14 June 2005 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aren't 100% sure, but the KE30 and KE55 are essentially the exact same shell, so there shouldn't be to much difference..
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Wed, 15 June 2005 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ther isnt much difference but there is some.

the brackets arnt exactly the same but its not difficult to change to the round headlights.
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Wed, 15 June 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aye, thanks fellows,

I'll take a geez and take some pictures when i do it for future reference Smile

Still waiting on it they were supposed to ring us back, but havn't so im going back there soon and see what's going on

Cheers Trent
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Thu, 16 June 2005 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I converted my square headlight KE55 to round headlights.

From memory I think you have to bend 2 of the the brackets for the grille out of the way, but that was about it. Everything else bolts in. If you use KE55 round headlights, use a KE55 round headlight grill, and if you use KE35 round headlights, use the KE35 grille. The cups that the lights sit in are different, and if you mix and match the grilles the lights look funny (sit too far in or out).
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Thu, 16 June 2005 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Fooky Smile

I will be using a Early KE30 Grille and KE30 Headlights with surrounds.

So hopefully it will all fit in.

Cheers Trent
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Mon, 20 June 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If using KE30 stuff, probably consider getting a KE30 bonnet too. The KE55 bonnet looks funny with the KE30 grille Smile
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
icon5.gif  Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion UPDATE won't fit :( Sun, 17 July 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK guys i picked up the car last night.

Today i started to take the headlights out, (grille as already half broken so that came out no worries)

Got both of them out and sat there for about 10 minutes figuring out how it goes.

I'am using KE30 lights and cups with a KE30 grille (75 model)

Now i pulled everthing out lights, cup thing behind the light and a mount bracket thing behind that,

The round bracket doesn't line up with the car?

I'll get pics when my mother comes around later but in the mean time has someone got some answers,

Cheers Trent
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Sun, 17 July 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From memory, no, not all the brackets will line up. I think the two corner ones on the ends don't line up. But there are enough that line up for it to stay in place... Well, from memory anyway. Also, I think I was using the KE55 round headlights, I don't know if it would be different to the KE35 grille as far as mounting goes?
v8xc
Regular

March 2005
Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Mon, 18 July 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've converted it. I had to remove 2 brackets from each side where the headlight fouled on them (cant remember which ones) and then i had to get the plastic clips for the holes and hook the spring up to hold them in place. I'm using a KE30 grille. Looks weird. It's possibly the wrong one.

Thats all i can suggest. Think about KE30 bumpers too. Way better than the 55 ones.

V8XC aka AE35
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Tue, 19 July 2005 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey v8xc and fookstar thanks for the reply's i might have to get some pics to make it more clear as to witch ones need bending removing etc.

cheers Trent
ke55coupe
Newcomer

July 2005

Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Wed, 20 July 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just went the other way and put the square headlights on my 79 coupe and found it easier to unpick the radiator support panel and weld it on rather then un picking and trying to natch the brackets
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Wed, 20 July 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You put the square lights on a KE55S, no the hideousness Shocked
lol j/k each to there own,

Cheers Trent
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Wed, 20 July 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't mind the square headlights.......... Razz
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Wed, 20 July 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Wed, 20 July 2005 18:57

I don't mind the square headlights..........

Laughing Are you for real?, I just don't think they have the character the round headlight models have, and the grill and bumpers are fugly Razz
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Wed, 20 July 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
started with this...

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/7193/COROLLA3.jpg

than this...

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7480/COROLLA6.jpg

now this..

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/4982/p71700207xn.jpg

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/5497/p71700241xj.jpg

but i havnt finished putting the lights in properly yet.. Razz
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Wed, 20 July 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
omfg man that is a neat coupe,

Yeah those lights really made a difference, so all you had to do was bend a couple of brackets?

There is 2 metal brackets joined to the chassis maybe pot rivoted or welded didn't have a good look but i think there the ones i need to take out, btw are you using a KE30 bonnet? and ke30 lights?

Cheers Trent
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Wed, 20 July 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i still havnt fitted it all properly yet...

i have to take a bit of the grill out so that is fits flush down and i need to get ke30 lights and brackets..

atm i just have ke20 lights cable tied in.. looks good, but it wont be staying like that... Laughing

i'm not %100 sure on the bonnet, but i think it is a ke30 item, and the grill is for a ke30 or ke35..

thanks
James
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Wed, 20 July 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*drool*

That's some nice shit... Personally I prefer the square as well, but as you said.

BTW. In the pics with the bumper removed, have you placed some lights under the headlights? Looks like really slimline ones.. Can you explain them a bit more?
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Wed, 20 July 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke35_4agze: I actually like the square lights on your car. Very neat. Your bonnet looks to be an earlier KE3x one, with the chrome vents in the back. Your grille is a KE3x one too, same as the one on my car.
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Wed, 20 July 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gr8r-x wrote on Wed, 20 July 2005 22:38

*drool*

That's some nice shit... Personally I prefer the square as well, but as you said.

BTW. In the pics with the bumper removed, have you placed some lights under the headlights? Looks like really slimline ones.. Can you explain them a bit more?

yeah, they are really thin lights to replace the parking lights and blinker that are usually on the bumper, so yeah just simple white and orange, with the signal from the normal plugs, just put lugs on the wire and plug it in! Very Happy

Quote:

ke35_4agze: I actually like the square lights on your car. Very neat. Your bonnet looks to be an earlier KE3x one, with the chrome vents in the back. Your grille is a KE3x one too, same as the one on my car.

yeah fair call,

yep thats what i think as well with bonnet and grill,

i had to replace the front bumper cos its illegal to not have it and i like the look better with the bumper and the circle lights and the ke3x grill...

also demuire,

did you put mesh behind your grill??

i have cut out the centre of mine, mainly to fit the intercooler, and i also like the look of it being more open, but i was thinking of puting fine mesh in the open space just for a more stealth, legal front end.

thanks
James
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Wed, 20 July 2005 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James: Yes, meshed my grille. Cut it out like you've done and then put a mesh behind it, more to protect the radiator (I do a little offroad stuff) and stuff, and it looks cool Smile

I've also now drilled several holes in the bumper next to the number plate to allow more air through to the oil cooler, I have no idea how legal this is though...
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Wed, 20 July 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James: What else is the car running? Are you still using the stock brakes etc?
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Thu, 21 July 2005 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh ok, with the mesh what method do find best for putting it in??

ummm,

the brakes i got,

FRONT:
larger ventilated and slotted disks
twin spot calipers

not sure on exact conversion, from a celica i think.

REAR:
larger drums, which i think also came from a celica.

I'm thinking about changing to R31 disks, but getting bigger disks and hopefully better calipers, if there is a easy upgrade for the standard skyline rear end.

DIFF:
VL turbo Borg Warner 4.11:1
28 spline axles
minispool center

just running a t50 for now, will be doing w58 when funds allow it,

what else??

thanks
JAmes

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Thu, 21 July 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I riveted the mesh in, because it was the only way I could think of reliably mounting it and besides it makes it look more industrial, haha Smile

I doubt you'd need rear brakes any bigger than the R31 ones. After all your car is smaller and lighter than a Skyline. If anything at all, get bigger front brakes. Or you could look at Falcon rear brakes, they're ventilated, and they're cheap.

Sounds like you have a fun car Smile How's the T50 handling the power of the 4AGTE?
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Thu, 21 July 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Sounds like you have a fun car How's the T50 handling the power of the 4AGTE?

ha ha, il let you know when i drive it!!

but witht the 4AGZE, i broke one and the clutch, both had "apparently been changed recently before i bought the car..

honestly i dont expect the gearbox and clutch i have atm to last very long behing the 4AGTE,

then il be forced to upgrade!!

falcon brakes sounds like it might be interesting..

yeah il have to look into upgrading the front brakes, what would you recomend for the front???

thanks
James
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Thu, 21 July 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Recommend? No idea. I'm running the Landcruiser/Pug combo, I've heard about using magna discs and Commodore calipers too, which would be lighter. Else, replace front struts and LCA's with S13 Silvia stuff, then you can bolt on the usual brake upgrades for S13 like GTR stuff Smile

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Thu, 21 July 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol - if you're interested there's a bit of a discussion about your car going on here:

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic =3951&st=0&#entry59561

Smile
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Thu, 21 July 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WOW!

thanks for that!!

hahaha didnt even know i had fans... Laughing

thanks
James
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Thu, 21 July 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lol! looks really neat in my opinion.
The main reason why im changing mine is because the square grille had been murdered (cut at, stabbed, broken etc) lol, and was being held in by cable ties, so i went for a scavange and then realised i had a early model ke30 one lying around off my other ke30.

Thanks for all your help will get pics by the weekend

Cheers
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Thu, 21 July 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

pics by the weekend

awsome cant wait to see it done properly,

get some pics before and after.. Very Happy

thanks
James
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Thu, 21 July 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah man will do, should be a goodin i'll do a write up and put it on my website Smile

cheers buddy
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Wed, 03 August 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok guys sorry about the delay, ive got a pic as below, now can someone please redo the picture or just tell me what brackets need to go?

Cheers Fellows, Fooky this one might be for you Smile

Trent
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Late Model KE55 Round HeadLight Conversion Wed, 03 August 2005 10:55 Go to previous message
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3667/ke55headlightbrackets3am.th.jpg
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agze boost gauge problem
Next Topic:Independent Rear Suspension set up for Mark II
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 22:51:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076298713684082 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.