Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra? Tue, 19 July 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are ways to get the springs out and in without removing the head, u will need a WST 009

http://www.rollamods.com/witzl/RA28/18RG%20Stripdown/WST-009.jpg

u also have to pressurise the cylinder, u can buy connectors with a 1 way valve in them that attach to your compressor air line, they screw into the spark plug tube and pressurise the cylinder, make sure the piston is at TDC, so when it pressurises it doesnt spin the engine downward, it also helps if the valve happens to fall, it wont fall all the way to the bottom Confused .

NOW.....once u have the cams/buckets off, get a 14mm socket, sit it over the spring so the collets are inthe middle and the socket is hiting ONLY the retainer, and give the valve retainer a tap {to loosen the spring from the collets}, THEN move the piston to TDC {if its at TDC when u hit the spring, u may bend a valve against the piston} Confused . then use the WST 009 and push down ont he spring with all your might, if the valve moves too {u will hear all the pressurised air escape out the port} then back off and let the cylinder re-pressurise, give it a rap with the socket again if needed {shouldnt do, unless the engine is all gunked up with shit} once u have the WST pushed down enough as to be able to access the collets, get a helper to remove them, an ABW extendable pen magnet is very useful here, then pull the spring out, u should then let the air escape from the cylinder then, so it doesnt spin the motor, yes, the valve will fall, but as long as the motor was at TDC then it will only fall a few mm,
get them checked

when u put it back together u will be able to retrieve the spring with the magnet, make sure the cyl is at TDC, keep holding the valve, if u have one exhaust and 1 intake out from the same cylinder, get someone to hold the other valve with some needlenose pliers while u sue the magnet, just incase when u pressurise it and it spins downward, they wont fall.
Now once its pressurised, put the spring in, then use the WST to push it down and slip the collets in,
Once the springs are in, get a small tool that u can sit on the end of the valve so it doesnt hit the retainer or collets, now give it a small tap to ensure its sitting right
then re-assemble

if anyone can add any tips to help young chris here with the above procedure, then by all means let me know.

Phil
  Send a private message to this user    
82MKII
Regular

July 2003
Re: 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra? Tue, 19 July 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris,
if you need to rip the valves out have a look at:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/valve_stem/index. html
I was going to use this if I ever get around to replacing the stem seals on my 1J.
I hope you get to the bottom of this soon!

Regards

Peter
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra? Tue, 19 July 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i always wondered what the rope was for, damn logic Rolling Eyes

if that guy ever bothered to change his oil he wouldnt have had to change the stem seals Embarassed
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra? Tue, 19 July 2005 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the guide Phil. I hope I don't have to do it but if I do that will be helpful as well as that link Peter posted.

My plan is to fix boost controller installation, fit MV shift box, get wolf doing timing. Retune. If no change, then it is just abot certain to be valve springs. Just want to try easy stuff first and also actually know what the timing is doing.

Here are some vids to listen to if you want. Vid is crap as it is from phone but sound is ok.

http://rapidshare.de/files/3190464/dyno1.3gp.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/3190485/dyno2.3gp.html

Click on free and then wait 30secs or so and the link will appear. Run in quicktime and you will need latest codecs.

later
chris
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra? Wed, 20 July 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just rang MV and they won't have any shift controller boxes in for another 4 weeks. Hmm...

Also rang Hardcore and had a chat. The guy was saying that valve float isn't a real common thing with 1/2jz's and that they have only ever upgraded valve springs when going to larger cams.

Also, gave me a different spark plug to try NGK PFR7B gapped to .9mm.

1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra? Wed, 20 July 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Wed, 20 July 2005 12:36

Also rang Hardcore and had a chat. The guy was saying that valve float isn't a real common thing with 1/2jz's and that they have only ever upgraded valve springs when going to larger cams.

that right, not till 272 cams.

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra? Wed, 20 July 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also on Jun 264's and greater. I thought it was more related to the lift rather than the duration.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra? Wed, 20 July 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this question is answered in one line.
"You are running the standard ECU to control ignition timing"

Once your wolf or other PROGRAMMABLE ECU is looking after ignition timing, i think you will be more than happy with your deicision to do things properly.
std ecu doing timing with a wolf on top.... EWW!!! An emanage would be doing a better job!!

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra? Wed, 20 July 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I hope that is the case. Unfortunately, I won't be able to find out for another 4 weeks.
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra? Wed, 20 July 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Wed, 20 July 2005 13:01

Also on Jun 264's and greater. I thought it was more related to the lift rather than the duration.

thats correct.

hks 264s are 9.08mm lift. the 280's hard core use are 23mm or something of lift, awesome.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra? Wed, 20 July 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1JZ.747 wrote on Wed, 20 July 2005 15:21

Chris Davey wrote on Wed, 20 July 2005 13:01

thats correct.

hks 264s are 9.08mm lift. the 280's hard core use are 23mm or something of lift, awesome.

WTF! 23mm lift! That is crazy. No wonder their cars make so much power.
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra? Wed, 20 July 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ask bruce at hard core to have a look at the stage 3 head

its unstreetable, but i would put in the the cressie, not rego it and run 8's.

the lobes are about 8 mm higher than the journals.

i was drooling like homer simpson when i was looking at it.

$5500
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra? Wed, 20 July 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why is it unstreetable?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra? Wed, 20 July 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unlikely to be 23mm lift. You are physically limited by the retainer hitting the valve stem seal at about 15mm (on a 2JZGE). Also the cam lobes hit the bucket bores when you have 11+mm lift on the standard base circle, necessitating relief work. I can't imagine another 12 mm taken out of the head right there. I also can't envisage a cam bucket big enough to accomodate that lift fitting in the head there.

Did you mean 13mm? This actually is possible.

The standard springs coil bind at about 9.5mm lift which is why most guys don't upgrade springs (almost all the off the shelf cams seem to have 9.3mm or less lift). Also, seated pressure is something light (42 lbs from memory). Add some serious boost - let's say 25 lbs - and suddenly your seated pressure is only 17lbs. Combine that with big rpm (>6000) and you can be assured to have valve float.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra? Wed, 20 July 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's a pic of my 2JZGE head with my 11mm lift cams. As you can see the cam lobe sticks out a mile from the cam journal.
With 11mm lift cams, you have about 30 thou clearance between the cam lobe tip and the rim of the bucket bore.
If I wanted more lift, it was suggested I bore out the buckets and fit 33 (later gen 3S)or 34mm (FJ20) buckets. I am having a long think about it.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/JZX23/exhaust%20cam%20and%20dizzy%20hole.jpg
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra? Wed, 20 July 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its was in the 20's GT

they have them custom made, this head also comes with over size ferara valves, springs retainers port work in and around the valve as well as the port.

they hadnt tuned the car with it on yet, but their stage 2 head made a tad under 1000 rwhp. they were hoping to see around the 1250 rwhp mark.

i wouldnt doubt any thing they tell me as they have proved themselves on the track, and dyno. they are a top bunch of blokes.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra? Wed, 20 July 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes you can... with an MA70 "ECT" computer as outlined by Alan if you have an A340E, or a crown or something else "ECT" computer if you have an A341E...... or so my dodgy theory goes!
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra? Wed, 20 July 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aah yeah, forgot about that. I think I may try what Sean said about disconnecting the box and let it shift 1-3. I will take it easy. It just about does that anyway with a 4.6:1 rear end. I want to use the shift box in the end as I have always liked the idea of manualising the auto.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra? Wed, 20 July 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mayeb they have differnet ratio rockers witzl Razz
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra? Wed, 20 July 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haven't done leak down test as couldn't pick up the tester again so I decided to redo the boost controller. Still not working properly.

I just thought I would say that for a car that isn't making the numbers on paper, it seems pretty bloody fast to me! Smile

Still got to work the shit out though.

BTW inlet temps were between 25&31 while driving during 4 second and third gear pulls. But as soon as I stopped and turned engine off it went up to 50. Ambient temp is 14deg.

[Updated on: Wed, 20 July 2005 11:54]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra? Sat, 23 July 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
leak down test results
1:5
2:7
3:7
4:12
5:7
6:6

Looks pretty good to me. That also matches up with the compression test.

Also checked timing marks and they are spot on.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: 8psi extra, 10rwkw extra? Sat, 23 July 2005 06:20 Go to previous message
Cool. All looks good mate. Pull the trans connectors off and get the Wolf controling the spark.

However, do not strap the line pressure cable out permanently as you may damage the trans when driving at light throttle openings. Strapping it out will not increase line pressure at WOT, only hold it at maximum at all throttle positions.

When you have the trans disconnected you'll still get third (1:1) which is the gear to be tuning in.

A question-You say you have a 4.6 or so diff. Have you calculated what RPM the motor will be doing at 125mph yet? My guess is that it may be a bit short. Have a chat to shane about what ratio he is running.
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:S series starter motors ? the same ?
Next Topic:wiring question regarding efi relays
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 02:15:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068070888519287 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.