Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » good turbo selection??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
shevchenko888
Occasional Poster

July 2005
good turbo selection?? Wed, 20 July 2005 12:11 Go to next message
hi all,
im curious as to whether this turbo is good for my 4agze.i dont need outright power just quick response a quick street car. iev been told its best to get a late model wrx turbo (td04 i think?)how much diff is the rex turbo to this evo3 turbo.cheers

also please advice on turbo lag with this turbo for my gze

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=72469&rid=11534&S=c60c63761430e3d8d1012a c34ff3f5c2
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: good turbo selection?? Wed, 20 July 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, considering how terribly laggy a WRX is.. and it is 2L.. and you are putting it on a 1.6...

it will prolly be even laggier..

the 3SGTE's are much less laggy than a WRX, both being 2L.. and still make 190kw

maybe look at later model CT26 or even a properly sized GT?
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: good turbo selection?? Wed, 20 July 2005 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT25! Very Happy
I have one of these for my 3TG..
*soon to be installed*
and I hope to have boost by about 2k RPM or so Smiley =
shevchenko888
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: good turbo selection?? Wed, 20 July 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers,
was also looking at the t28s.whats the difference between s15 ones and the skylines ones.will it have the same turbo lag.notice i dont really care too much abt outright power.a street car is all abt quick acceleration.cheers
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: good turbo selection?? Wed, 20 July 2005 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 20 July 2005 20:20

well, considering how terribly laggy a WRX is.. and it is 2L.. and you are putting it on a 1.6...

Umm...have you driven a later model WRX? You only have to think about stabbing the throttle and the turbo starts spooling. I dare say a TD04 from a later model WRX would be very nice on a 4AGTE.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: good turbo selection?? Wed, 20 July 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry, ive only driven 2004 WRX'S not 2005, but i didn't think they'd get that much better in one year? the 04, floor it and wait till 3-3500 before anything starts happening.. 3SG it's just over 2K...

meh, i have no idea Razz

[Updated on: Wed, 20 July 2005 14:14]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: good turbo selection?? Wed, 20 July 2005 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Probably more to do with the weight of the car. Gf's got a MY99 which is the old shape which is a good 100kg less. Around the 2-2500rpm mark it's starting to boogie. Now if you thought the later model ones were laggy, try driving an early one Smile
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: good turbo selection?? Wed, 20 July 2005 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shevchenko888 wrote on Wed, 20 July 2005 23:17

cheers,
was also looking at the t28s.whats the difference between s15 ones and the skylines ones.will it have the same turbo lag.notice i dont really care too much abt outright power.a street car is all abt quick acceleration.cheers

the skyline turbos have ceramic exhaust wheels so they dont like running much more than 14psi before they fall apart.

A t28 is a good size for the gze makes pleanty of hp
Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: good turbo selection?? Thu, 21 July 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the td04 is a popular upgrade for GT starlets (1.3L) and they come on full boost by about 3-3500 rpm according to those running them, so i dont think it would be laggy at all on a 1.6L provided it flows well
d-shiznit
Regular

May 2004
Re: good turbo selection?? Thu, 21 July 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm gonna be using a skyline r33 gtr t28 on my 4agte.

The exhaust housing is A/R 0.48 which is smaller than that of the S15 t28, which means less top end power due to the restrictive exhaust housing but hardly any lag! I think someone on these forums also used one and got full boost around 2700 rpm.. and pulled all the way to redline.

If I was a rich biatch I'd get a HKS gt-ss... good thing about the garrett/hks turbos is that you don't have to change manifolds, there is alot of choice using the t2 flange.

From what I've heard the wrx turbos are good on the 4agte, not much lag. They are just laggy on wrxs because of the long ass manifolds on those?? Correct me if I'm wrong someone.

Also another reason I'm using gtr t28s is coz I scored 2 for $400! Razz

Let me know what you decide and your results hey! Coz it will be a long time before I can test my combo.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 July 2005 10:31]

TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: good turbo selection?? Thu, 21 July 2005 10:42 Go to previous message
search, this has been covered more times than almost any topic on Toymods Cool

WRX TD04 is really not a bad turbo at all on the 4A, as d-shiznit mentioned, their lag in their original application is mostly caused by the massively long exhaust manifolds on the boxer motor.

S15 BB T28 has been proven time and time again to be an excellent all round performer, capable of fast response & 180rwkw.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:auto to manual, 88 1ggte soarer
Next Topic:getting into odometer cluster
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 11:01:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046491622924805 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.