Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » ST165 owners dedicated thread!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
ST165 owners dedicated thread! Wed, 20 July 2005 23:30 Go to next message
This thread is for all who own the origional (and still the best Very Happy gtfour) so owners...hands up..whos got one..what have yas done..what are ya plans...pics if possible

myself:
1987 ST165 (still with japanese warning stickers on the interior Very Happy)
135000km
white
stereo, sub
pod, 2inch straight thru exhaust,boost controller and guage
10psi..ic pump modded to run constatnly

nothing special really most of my money has gone into repairs and maintenance since i got her..new altinator,rack,wheel bearings ect(i picked her up fairly cheap)..still got a few oil leaks to sort out

plans....long term :S
st205 head and manifolds
best pistons and rings i can get at the time (too far off to start deciding yet lol)
ct20B turbo (or aftermarket depending on price and availability)
FMIC
water injection
FCD
larger exhaust (depending on what will be best for my setup when i get there)

Send a private message to this user    
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Thu, 21 July 2005 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a GT2 Rolling Eyes im close arnt i Razz
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Thu, 21 July 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yo, can i get a holla!
lol

yeah i got an st165 too.

145,000kms on chasis(new low km engine put in at end of 2004 by toyospares)
manual
gunmetal grey
hks turbo timer, GFB boost controller, ajustable shitlight, constant intercooler mod, cat-back exhaust, lowered, 14" jap crap white wheels,basic stereo (mp3player, 10" sub, 4ch amp). alarm and central locking.

nothing special, and i dont know how much further my mods are going to go. might just save the money i would have spent on mods and get a newer faster car in a couple years time.

theres only going to be like 5-10 people in this post! thats about how many there are in australia!! hehe

http://www.albumsnaps.com/index.php?content=rawpho to&id=106192&key=796772

KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Thu, 21 July 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have ST165 number 735! One of the pre-facelift models with the locking centre diff. The old motor developed a terminal problem which i have since found was one of the TVIS butterflies being sucked through the intake manifold and into the head! The butterfly obviously couldn't get past the valves however the two screws did! Methinks it was more to with half assed mechanics (no names mentioned!) than Toyota engineering. Anyway, here are the details of the car...

1988 ST165. 140,000km on chassis
ST205 WRC engine / IC system / rear LSD with 70,000km
Aussie 3" dump pipe/mid-pipe with 2.5" catback system
TWM short shifter.
Whiteline front strut brace

This is what is in the pipes for the future:

- Whiteline heavy duty adjustable rear swaybar
- Buddy CLub P1 (purchased, gotta have hubs made up)
- RB74 pads all round with Techna-Fit braided lines (purchased)
- Coilovers (Tein SS/ DMS 40mm)
- Apexi AVC-R
- ST185RC/ST205 gearbox
- AP Engineering Power FC if and when i get bored of current power levels.

Going to change the box when the current one breaks. If it takes too long i might try and get some good 1/4 mile times with the diff lock on, just to get things moving a bit!
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Thu, 21 July 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
carsanactra wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 13:57

yo, can i get a holla!
lol

yeah i got an st165 too.

145,000kms on chasis(new low km engine put in at end of 2004 by toyospares)
manual
gunmetal grey
hks turbo timer, GFB boost controller, ajustable shitlight, constant intercooler mod, cat-back exhaust, lowered, 14" jap crap white wheels,basic stereo (mp3player, 10" sub, 4ch amp). alarm and central locking.

nothing special, and i dont know how much further my mods are going to go. might just save the money i would have spent on mods and get a newer faster car in a couple years time.

theres only going to be like 5-10 people in this post! thats about how many there are in australia!! hehe

http://www.albumsnaps.com/index.php?content=rawpho to&id=106192&key=796772

lol i thaught there were only a few..when i baught mine i was under the impression it was one of 5 or so...i forgot to mention my turbo timer...hks also...

kyoto yours sounds like a monster...how was the 205 swap?..i dont suppose you documented it at all did you man?
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Thu, 21 July 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't do the swap personally. Its a bit above me at the minute so the lads at Toyospares more than obliged. If u live in Melbourne and need anything Toyota related they should be your first port of call. Can't talk highly enough of em.

Here are some pics. When the decals are on and the bulge and Group A vent finished off and painted (this weekend hopefull) i'll throw some pics up of the finished product. When i get a chance to cut the holes in the right places i had a perspex radiator shroud made up to try and combat the woeful airflow these machines have.

http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/421568684/17.jpg

http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/421568684/18.jpg

[Updated on: Thu, 21 July 2005 12:54]

-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Thu, 21 July 2005 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice man nice thats a site to be seen....ive heard alot of great stuff about toyospares...pitty im situated about 5 hours north of brisbane lol...i dont suppose u can ask them about any problems they came accross and how they got around them could ya?...might be real handy to know for the future Smile...what did it cost you for the engine+other parts...and what did toyospares charge you for the work?
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Thu, 21 July 2005 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

FMIC
water injection

Why would you want a front mount AND water injection?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Fri, 22 July 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Water spray for the front mount maybe?

I have an ST165, but I don't feel like talking about it Wink
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Fri, 22 July 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's different to water injection, which is used to cool the air in blown engines with no intercooler.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Fri, 22 July 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I know that Razz I was suggesting that he meant water spray rather than water injection.

I suppose I'll give a brief run-down of what I'm doing to my car atm

Subaru Liberty RS heat exchanger (about the size of ST205 heat exchanger)
Rebuilt CT26 with bleed valve, set to 11.5psi
Gen 1 3S-GTE block (stripped then to be put back together again minus gunk)
Balanced gen 2 pistons and gen 2 conrods (maybe JE forged pistons from Classique71 aka Stu)
Balanced gen 2 crankshaft
ARP rod bolts
ARP head studs
Copper head gasket (o-ringed block and probably head as well)
Gen 2 oil pump (higher flowing that Gen 1)
Gen 2 oil cooler
Reconditioned gen 1 cylinder head (valve seats, valve stem seals, shims)
Clevite 77 big end and main bearings
New seals throughout whole engine

Might also replace clutch and other stuff while i have the whole engine out. Probably re-seal the power steering pump and rack and stuff like that.
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Fri, 22 July 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

how do u find out what number your st165 is?
and does any1 know how many were brought over to australia? id love to know ...
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Fri, 22 July 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
peeack wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 01:02

Quote:

FMIC
water injection

Why would you want a front mount AND water injection?

because i do........
165s are awefull for heat...i had serious heat issues living down in newcastle with my ic pump running constantly...now that ive moved up to qld i want to be as safe as i possibally can....i wouldnt be the first person in the world to run water injection and a front mount...and i dare say i wouldnt be the last either
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
a Fri, 22 July 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Fri, 22 July 2005 07:00]

KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Fri, 22 July 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'd be alot better off with a nice deep vent and radiator shroud, not to mention a better intercooler. You shouldn't need water injection. Also, reading your "wanted" list, you would save yourself a SHITLOAD of time, money and heartache by simply getting a 205 front cut and throwing it in. That way you get the turbo, IC, and more pwoer out of the box. I was in the same position and i can tell you its the best decision i have made thus far...
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Sat, 23 July 2005 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KYOTO wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 23:21

You'd be alot better off with a nice deep vent and radiator shroud, not to mention a better intercooler. You shouldn't need water injection. Also, reading your "wanted" list, you would save yourself a SHITLOAD of time, money and heartache by simply getting a 205 front cut and throwing it in. That way you get the turbo, IC, and more pwoer out of the box. I was in the same position and i can tell you its the best decision i have made thus far...

i just figured a 205 head and what i needed to throw it on would be alot cheaper than a front cut...but after seeing yours i have been thinking about the full 205 swap...but it would be a long time off though
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Sat, 23 July 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=-=DV=- wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 10:15]
KYOTO wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 23:21

You'd be alot better off with a nice deep vent and radiator shroud, not to mention a better intercooler. You shouldn't need water injection

i also feel that a front mount and alot of airflow isnt really gonna help me much on 50+ degree days and stuff...im not sure exactly how hot it gets where i am but a few ppl have told me it gets a over 50 for a big part of the summer...id just rather be safe than sorry
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Sat, 23 July 2005 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it gets that hot where you are and you are into performance motoring, you flat out chose either the wrong car, or the wrong place to live. In that weather you will be outperformed by a Holden Astra. Sad
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Sat, 23 July 2005 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KYOTO wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 14:07

If it gets that hot where you are and you are into performance motoring, you flat out chose either the wrong car, or the wrong place to live. In that weather you will be outperformed by a Holden Astra. Sad

well hopefully with an fmic + water injection the heat wont be more of a problem than it was where i used to live...so anyway thats why i want to run both....i did chose the right car...and was living in the right place...but due to issues out of my control..i ended up where i am now lol...
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Sat, 23 July 2005 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What part of brissy do you live in, Ipswich? Razz A decent radiator / bonet vents / front mount will be sufficiant to keep it cool enough, and save ALOT of fucking around. Just cause it may get up around the high 40s, will you REALLY be thrashing your car then? I know I'd be somewhere as cool as possible Wink

But hey, if you want to do it, more power to you!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Sun, 24 July 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i also feel that a front mount and alot of airflow isnt really gonna help me much on 50+ degree days and stuff...im not sure exactly how hot it gets where i am but a few ppl have told me it gets a over 50 for a big part of the summer...id just rather be safe than sorry
You'll pretty much have to accept that on a hot day your car won't make as much power - just get enough air flowing that you don't cook the crap out of it!
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Sun, 24 July 2005 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
peeack wrote on Sun, 24 July 2005 01:18

What part of brissy do you live in, Ipswich? Razz A decent radiator / bonet vents / front mount will be sufficiant to keep it cool enough, and save ALOT of fucking around. Just cause it may get up around the high 40s, will you REALLY be thrashing your car then? I know I'd be somewhere as cool as possible Wink

But hey, if you want to do it, more power to you!

i live 5 hours north of brissy man...keep in mind the water injection would be comming a long time before the frontmount...if/when i get a frountmount in there...it will be done at the same time as everything when the engine is out..to the best of my knowledge a wi setup wont set me back anywhere near as far as a frontmount and piping + installation ect...so im looking at it as a short term solution to heat..then when everything else gets done and a frontmount goes in ...why not continue to use the wi anyway?...i mean it cant hurt and it beats packing all the w/i gear into a spare room to just be wasted
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Sun, 24 July 2005 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh okay, that sounds like a perfectly logical reason. Good luck with that then, and keep us all posted on the progress Very Happy (I'll get out of this thread now Wink)
crazedrt104
Regular

March 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 25 July 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got a 88 st165

stock std (as far as i know), came into aust nov04
just installed a boost guage and it shows 6 psi 1st and 2nd and 8 psi for third. (std??)
KYB super special rally shocks (are these JDM or after market)corners like its on rails

having too much fun with it at the moment to think about taking it off the road for major mods.

Darwin heat dosnt seem to affect engine temps, but using the a/c does. The temp guage climbs a fraction.

Im planning on taking it down the 1/4 mile this friday nite.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 25 July 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To be honest, the water injection will only help with heat on WOT, and to top it off, most water bottles won't last that long either, you'll constantly be filling the thing up. The *cheapest* solution to your heat problem is to not thrash the car when it's hot.

Having said that, my ST165 used to get pretty toasty just going up the freeway (mind you, ten minutes straight of a 10 degree gradient hill on a 38c day at 100km/h in 5th is going to do that)
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Wed, 27 July 2005 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crazedrt104 wrote on Mon, 25 July 2005 10:44

i got a 88 st165

stock std (as far as i know), came into aust nov04
just installed a boost guage and it shows 6 psi 1st and 2nd and 8 psi for third. (std??)
KYB super special rally shocks (are these JDM or after market)corners like its on rails

having too much fun with it at the moment to think about taking it off the road for major mods.

Darwin heat dosnt seem to affect engine temps, but using the a/c does. The temp guage climbs a fraction.

Im planning on taking it down the 1/4 mile this friday nite.

how did it go down the 1/4 man?...

hey one thing ive noticed in my 165...and ive heard a few blokes with 185s mention the same thing.....it makes a shitload of power between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle..but when the foot goes that little bit further and hits the floor the power seems to instantly dissapear..only to re appear when u lift ur foot up that little bit again.....have any of you guys experience this...or know why it happens?
crazedrt104
Regular

March 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Wed, 27 July 2005 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how did it go down the 1/4 man?...

[quote title=-=DV=- wrote on Thu, 28 July 2005 01:14][quote

Im planning on taking it down the 1/4 mile this friday nite.[/quote]

-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Thu, 28 July 2005 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol sorry man i thaught yad posted that last week..my bad...
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Thu, 28 July 2005 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

hey one thing ive noticed in my 165...and ive heard a few blokes with 185s mention the same thing.....it makes a shitload of power between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle..but when the foot goes that little bit further and hits the floor the power seems to instantly dissapear..only to re appear when u lift ur foot up that little bit again.....have any of you guys experience this...or know why it happens?
Sounds like stuffed throttle position sensor? Not richening the mixture properly at WOT. Or some other sensor (particularly water temp sensor!) might be stuffed and your car is running in limp mode. I'm pretty sure the ECU will cut boost if the car is running cold, or if the car *thinks* it's running cold. Could also be a malfunctioning VSV on the wastegate - if the VSV doesn't open, then you will get stuck with 7(ish) psi of boost.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Thu, 28 July 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RWDboy wrote on Thu, 28 July 2005 12:21

Quote:

Sounds like stuffed throttle position sensor? Not richening the mixture properly at WOT. Or some other sensor (particularly water temp sensor!) might be stuffed and your car is running in limp mode. I'm pretty sure the ECU will cut boost if the car is running cold, or if the car *thinks* it's running cold. Could also be a malfunctioning VSV on the wastegate - if the VSV doesn't open, then you will get stuck with 7(ish) psi of boost.

my tvsv is disabeled...its sitting on 10-11 psi the whole time..even when the power drops the boost doesnt...i know my knock sensor is playing up occasionally but i doubt thats teh problem..when it plays up the car starts and runs in limp mode and the engine light on my dash is on...turn off the ignition and start it again and the knock sensor is fine for another few weeks. some of the boys over at celicatech told me its just the fuel mapping...when the afm is wide open it dumps a poo load of fuel in richening it right up...
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Thu, 28 July 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can adjust the idle fuel mixture, it's on the AFM. Maybe try that. But don't play with it unless you can get A/F readings as you are doing it. You don't want to run too lean!!! (Gen 1 pistons aren't that strong).
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Sat, 30 July 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=crazedrt104 wrote on Thu, 28 July 2005 09:06]how did it go down the 1/4 man?...

[quote title=-=DV=- wrote on Thu, 28 July 2005 01:14][quote

Im planning on taking it down the 1/4 mile this friday nite.[/quote]

[/quote]

so howd it go man?
crazedrt104
Regular

March 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 01 August 2005 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
16.118..5 psi 1st,2nd,3rd gear

3rd gear hit 8 psi for half a sec then dropped back to 5 psi...any ideas why this is so?

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Tue, 02 August 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dunno - but my car sometimes does the same thing especially if not warmed up properly. Most likely it's just a sensor fault, and the ECU is running in limp mode.
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Tue, 02 August 2005 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Just a stab but it might be your AFM. When i went from AFM to MAP sensor the throttle response was instantly improved. I read somewhere the AFM flaps have problems responding instantly to throttle changes. *shrugs*
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Tue, 02 August 2005 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Flap type AFMs may have slow transitory response, but that doesn't mean they'll perform 'worse' than when on half or three quarter throttle.

DV -> If your boost is fine, then you might want to check to see if you are blowing a crapload of black/dark smoke out the back of your exhaust (running rich). Otherwise, check timing and ignition components.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Tue, 02 August 2005 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rwdboy, im blowing no smoke at all...except for a little black smoke on the high revvin snap from one gear to the next. at the moment im concentrating on getting her past a rego inspection, i need it for work but once i get rego on her ill start slowly but surely replacing all my ignition components.
crazedrt104
Regular

March 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Wed, 03 August 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When the ECU goes into limp mode, does the engine fault light come on?
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Wed, 03 August 2005 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on mine when the knock sensor plays up and it goes into limp mode, my check engine light comes on...hope this helps man
crazedrt104
Regular

March 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Wed, 03 August 2005 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well...i havnt got a check engine light coming up....is there another stock 165 out there..if so, what boost pressure readings to you get?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Thu, 04 August 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I had a similar problem to you I guess, on the dyno my boost went from about 7 or 8 psi at 3500 rpm, then from about 4000rpm onwards it was at about 5 or 6. I never got around to fixing it as my big end bearing went soon after I got the car back from having the radiator fixed (top tank was cracked). It is highly likely that you have a faulty sensor, or the VSV for the turbo isn't working properly.

Take it to a mechanic/tuner, get it sorted. That's all the advice you'll be able to get outta me cause I can't diagnose your cars problem from over here Very Happy

Good luck dude, let us know what it turns out to be!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Thu, 04 August 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I suppose i could mention that the other possibility is that the factory dump pipe is *that* restrictive that boost pressure is lost at higher rpm, or your wastegate could be old. Is anyone here running higher boost than stock with a factory dump pipe?
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Thu, 04 August 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am running about 1 bar of boost with the stock down pipe. The only negative I can see at the moment is it takes just a little bit longer to spool up. That should be fixed within 2 months when I get an "Aussie" for it Very Happy
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 08 August 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Factory DP's are absolutely terrible. The biggest engine upgrade i did on my old motor was the dump pipe. It made alot of difference, both in spool up and upper end. I running a stock 205 DP on my current motor and i can feel the exhaust system "choking" power above say 5000 rpm.
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Wed, 10 August 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn this thread. Now i have a bloody boost leak. I prolly wouldn't have realised if i didn't read this.
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Wed, 10 August 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my stock 165 motor cept for turbo highflow runs 7psi in 3rd gear...
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Wed, 10 August 2005 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KYOTO wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 18:36

Damn this thread. Now i have a bloody boost leak. I prolly wouldn't have realised if i didn't read this.

that makes 2 of us man lol...hopefully starting tomorrow im going to replace all the vac hoses with new hose....horrayyy this is gonna be fun....so who gave toyota the idea to run EVERYTHING off vaccuum anyway....i mean our engine bays look more like rockets or something with all our wires and vac lines and stuff...lol
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Wed, 17 August 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This thread is dying! Just thought I'd mention that I have finally dropped the engine out of my GT4.

The amount of vacuum hoses on the GT4 isn't *that* extreme, what ticks me off more is the amount of wiring and sensors everywhere, they just went nuts with those things!

Also I finally got a Subaru Liberty RS Turbo heat exchanger, much bigger than the ST165 one.... mmmmm Very Happy
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Fri, 19 August 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I have finally got myself a worthy job with a company car, so I am hoping to pull my car off the road shortly and get a cage put in it and a few other bits and pieces. I am doing a khanacross this Sunday for a bit of fun. Very Happy
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Fri, 19 August 2005 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm i could certainly do with a company car lol..ive missed work the last few days koz mines been off the road...radiator fan shat itself...replacement came from toyospares today..$100 including overnight postage...INCREDIBLE...every single time i work on my gt4 it amazes me how much more packed in everything is than the 162s...everythings such a pain in the ass to do lol...i remember in my 162 it took me about 2mins to pull out my radiator and fans...in the 165 christ...get under the car...unbolt and pull the shrouding off from underneith..pull the battery and fuseboxes out...pull the altinator air duct thingy out then fight for half an hour with the radiator trying to get the fan past the turbo...christ allmighty it didnt want to let go...doing all this on the grass across the road with every smart prick walking past on the footpath making comments about how "if u owned a holden u wouldnt have to replace that"..fucking bogans...anyway thats my rant...not a good day...oh btw the day my fan crapped itself my boost controller also fell to pieces (cheapie) and it developed a weird little electrical problem where half of my dash lights flash on and off for some reason unknown to me
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 22 August 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys,

just reviving the thread for a bit, but im really interested to know.

what is the best power made on a st165 without rebuilding the engine (im talking bolt on mods etc.)

has any1 got heaps of mods to there gen1 3sgte in a st165?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 22 August 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you'll find there are quite a few factors limiting the power you can make out of a gen 1 3S-GTE with only bolt on mods. For starters, the pistons are quite prone to cracking near ring lands even at very mild boost (ie 14-15 pounds). Secondly, the head gasket isn't that strong either, for any boost at about 1bar or above (again 14-15 pounds) you will be looking at needing a metal or copper head gasket and some good head studs.

Having said that, a good aftermarket ecu, a front mount intercooler and some water injection will probably see you to about 130kw at the wheels if the tuning is done very thoroughly.
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 22 August 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id agree with those numbers but i think they're a tad conservative.

I did 115 awk with a MBC, exhaust system, a TRD panel filter, and a mistuned eManage with fucked up knock sensor causing it timing to be retarded. I think with WI, FMIC intercooler, and proper tuning you should be hitting high 130's to low 140's but i could be wrong. I seem to remember the stock motor dynos between 80-90 awk.

-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 22 August 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was gonna ask a similar question the other day, was wondering roughly how much power id be putting down at the paws at around 12psi on stock turbo and internals. as im unable to find a 4wd dyno within a few hours of where i live it makes it hard for me to find out lol...anyway hows that beast of yours comming along kyoto?, got that bonnet sorted out yet man?
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 22 August 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys what are you lot running as far as front brake pads is concerend ?

i ahve a set of early St185 twin piston calipers which im led to believe are the same as the st165 units.

i currently have some bendix metal in there the DB1181 pad but need someting new and better... EBC list a standard replacement pad for the st165 but not a green stuff or higher pad. having looked at the catalog the pad from one of the subaru legacy's should fit and i seem to remember hearing this at some point too.

any advice ?
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 22 August 2005 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im about to chuck in some RB74s. For everything but dedicated track work they're meant to be bloody good and Skyline guys rate them highly, and they're heavier too! The US Alltrac guys tend to go for Porterfields R4S's which seem to be the US equivalent to the RB74s. MRT have a dedicated DBA Brake forum.

On a different note i think im going to get some Audi TT rotors and have a bracket made up to fit them. They're 312mm over the standard 276mm and can be used with the stock calipers (2.5mm width). With pads and lines they should be a decent upgrade, but obviously not as desirable as a 205 system.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Tue, 23 August 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KYOTO wrote on Mon, 22 August 2005 18:01

Id agree with those numbers but i think they're a tad conservative.

I did 115 awk with a MBC, exhaust system, a TRD panel filter, and a mistuned eManage with fucked up knock sensor causing it timing to be retarded. I think with WI, FMIC intercooler, and proper tuning you should be hitting high 130's to low 140's but i could be wrong. I seem to remember the stock motor dynos between 80-90 awk.
My stock ST165 made 93.0kw at all four paws. I think improved intercooling won't gain you alot of kW simply because there is only so much air you can squeeze into the combustion chamber before you start having problems with headgaskets. The water injection will help alot with detonation and the amount of heat kept in the piston (and hence the amount that builds up around the rings, and thus improving their longevity) but you are still limited by the headgasket and the head design - I assume the lack of ribbing/reinforcement in the original 1st Gen head design (11111-88360? i believe) allows for too much movement/flex which in turn causes blown head gaskets. Anyway, enough prattle from me Razz

Interesting idea regarding the Audi rotors KYOTO, let us know how it goes!

DV -> based on some very rough calculations I'd say about 105-108kw at the wheels.
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Thu, 25 August 2005 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone know whether you can fit 17x8" wheels on 165s?
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Thu, 25 August 2005 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive seen 17x?? on 162's, u prolly could fit em...but then dont take my word for it ive just got stock 14's lol
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Sun, 28 August 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
kyoto, 17's will fit as that is what i have on my car atm, and they dont scrub if ur tyres are a 40 profile.

as for 17x8, it depends on the offset of the wheels, it would have to be a really small offset, which is rare. but they would look awsome as the wheels would really fill out the guards well.

i have 17x7 atm.
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:hey grant you around these days
Next Topic:Opinions - Scam or for real????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:57:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0086121559143066 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.