Changing the Track Wed, 20 July 2005 02:38 Go to next message
Was curious about changing the track on a car,

Ill give an example,

We have,
Car A,
Car B &
Car C,

We Use the front hubs off car A and bolt them to Car B,
Using these different hubs from car A onto Car B, changes the front track on car B and pushes it out say 3/4" (18mm), these front hubs widen car B's track by 3/4" (18mm),

Now,
Lets say you then go out and get a wheel from car C, which has a larger positive offset than car B's wheels, say 3/4" (18mm) larger positive offset (Car B = 15+ & Car C = 33+), then you put the wheels from car C onto car B,

Would this not mean,
That you have increased the front track of car B by using the front hubs off car A, the increase being 18mm,
Then,
By using the wheels from car C, with the larger positive (18mm larger)then car B's wheels, that you have infact managed to get the front track back to its original point???

Sorry this sounds like a yr8 math question Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 20 July 2005 02:44]

Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Changing the Track Wed, 20 July 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Before you get too carried away, check you state laws. In QLD I think you can only change your track up to 15mm!
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Changing the Track Wed, 20 July 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your assumption is correct
aussie260z
Regular

April 2005
Re: Changing the Track Wed, 20 July 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im in the ACT and have been told i cant narrow the track at all, but can increase the track up to 26mm from factory, as per the local RTA folks,
Then i spoke to my engineer and he said i could do what i liked as long as my wheels dont rub on the spring perch or on the guards

BUT, from my post im actually saying that the track will stay exactly the same - or atleast, if my theory is correct, it will stay the same,
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Changing the Track Wed, 20 July 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Then i spoke to my engineer and he said i could do what i liked

John W?
aussie260z
Regular

April 2005
Re: Changing the Track Wed, 20 July 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, John W,
Ray Spence is a hard man to track down, but John is always about to hassle about my conversion, there is one other bloke in Queanbeyan (maybe fyshwick) but he got really insulted when i asked for some free advice, insisted i make an appointment and pay for his time!!!
Some people have told me that sometimes the RTA frown upon what John W approves, others have told me that he is a pain in the a#s to get stuff past and hes all by the book...........
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Changing the Track Wed, 20 July 2005 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have had my previous car engineered by John and my current car was engineered by John also. I found him to be fair and reasonable in my dealings.

The guy in Qbn I think you are referring to is Mario? I don't know of anyone who has had a car engineered by him Wink

Quote:

Some people have told me that sometimes the RTA frown upon what John W approves

I have heard this and been part of it, they questioned his track width measurements on one car, after some smart comments they passed it.

Quote:

others have told me that he is a pain in the a#s to get stuff past and hes all by the book...........

My cars passed with no fuss, as long as the fabricated parts are sound, brakes are adequate for the car, and emmissions requirements are met it all seems straight forward with him.

By the sounds of the way you are doing things you won't have a problem.
aussie260z
Regular

April 2005
Re: Changing the Track Wed, 20 July 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 - are you saying my theory is correct mate?
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Changing the Track Wed, 20 July 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds right to me.

track is dead centre of one tyre to the other tyre.

ie keep std track with 195s up the hub width add +offset wheels to couter act and voila 235s with the same track.

just gotta make sure you get the correct offset for the amount you extend the huds etc.

aussie260z
Regular

April 2005
Re: Changing the Track Wed, 20 July 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Which shouldnt be to hard you'd think finding a wheel with a 33ish+ offset, most modern cars are around the 35+ offset mark,

170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: Changing the Track Wed, 20 July 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
increasing track raises the roll centre, bringing it closer to the centre of gravity, this is good.
aussie260z
Regular

April 2005
Re: Changing the Track Wed, 20 July 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, but the problem is that if i increase the track 18mm/side, ive increased it 36mm, which is more than what im allowed to do, well sort of, so im kinda keen to get it back to factory, or close enough to factory, maybe even slightly narrow the track and put on 40+ wheels, makes it easier to steer the car at lower speeds when you narrow the track, but not great for handling Smile

Increasing the track does lots of cool stuff, or so ive been told............
Corner turn is improves
Reduce inside wheel lift
Improves braking in corners
And improves rough road cornerning

But it also, as ive been told,
Makes it tougher to steer the car at lower speeds
Increases Scrub Radius

Anyone can add to this???
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Changing the Track Wed, 20 July 2005 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOOKS FATTER / TOUGHER! Evil or Very Mad

lol

if also increasing rear track you have the potential to run wide wheels/tyres for better traction.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Changing the Track Thu, 21 July 2005 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have some personal experience here. I put MA61 hubs on my RA23, which increased the track by about 20mm overall. The resulting changes were very noticeable: much heavier steering which loads up a lot when cornering, but better turn-in and front end grip. Low-speed steering isn't much fun with the 205 tyres and small steering wheel, but I can live with that.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Changing the Track Thu, 21 July 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pffft i already have 205s up front and a teeny steerer...

tho i need to fill my guards out mor so will be following your little tech article on that...

...btw cheers for that norbs!
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Changing the Track Thu, 21 July 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aussie260z wrote on Wed, 20 July 2005 13:06

Im in the ACT and have been told i cant narrow the track at all, but can increase the track up to 26mm from factory, as per the local RTA folks,
Then i spoke to my engineer and he said i could do what i liked as long as my wheels dont rub on the spring perch or on the guards

This is also what i have been told here in SA.
Remeber, the +26mm is track... not per wheel (which is 13mm).

If you go over that +26mm, it has to be engineered.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 July 2005 07:01]

Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Changing the Track Thu, 21 July 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWIW, the first post is exaclty what JustCallMeFrank & I are doing after the R32/Z32 brake upgrade. It increases fron track by ~10mm per wheel (IIRC), and we're using wheels with more +ve offset on the front to compensate. track is from middle of wheel to middle of wheel (or perhaps tyre to tyre, though the result is the same)
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Changing the Track Thu, 21 July 2005 09:25 Go to previous message
M.W.P. wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 17:01

This is also what i have been told here in SA.
Remeber, the +26mm is track... not per wheel (which is 13mm).

If you go over that +26mm, it has to be engineered.

by the sounds of it it will be engineered anyhoo..

my goal is to actually increase track by 100mm in total.. i have a good argument tho Wink

as per original question, if all you are effectively doing is changing the hib mounting face position, and the bearing and load positions are the same, the only thing that will be different is possibly the loading on the wheel studs, but the total forces on the stub axle should remain the same..

sounds like basically you are adjusting the hub/rim unit internally, but not altering it as a whole unit.

it's fiiiiiine Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Inlet Air Temps
Next Topic:RA65 Underpowered and Stalling after fitting Pod Filter *pics added*
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 07:38:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01274299621582 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.