Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Boosted 3TC.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
frontspinner
Regular

January 2005
Boosted 3TC. Wed, 20 July 2005 11:40 Go to next message
its strange that it seems to be almost unheardof to boost a 3TC here in australia, while in USA they have sprinters with 3tc's in them on nos and turbo, running in the 9s and less!! there was even one in the 7s! what the hell!?
If these engines are capable of so much why dont they get modded much at all here?

here is a link with a wild 3tc, i'll chase up some more...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/568152/2
  Send a private message to this user    
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: Boosted 3TC. Wed, 20 July 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, the yanks love these engines.
there is alot of aftermarket for them over there.

http://toyota3tc.com/forum/

some crazy figures from these guys..

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Boosted 3TC. Wed, 20 July 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's mostly the Puerto Ricans who play with these things. The 3T in stock form is nothing special at all, but they have two things going for them: they're cheap, and they're built like a brick shithouse. This means you can run them on methanol and pump a trillion pounds of boost into them and they somehow hold together while running a 7. Don't expect to get anywhere near that level of performance with a street-oriented engine though.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Boosted 3TC. Wed, 20 July 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
americans don't get the GZE Razz

did they even get the 4AG?

but they did get shitpiles of truck T and R motors... cheap to replace..
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Boosted 3TC. Wed, 20 July 2005 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That engine bay almost looks alright... it's just interesting to see the carbs, the stock-looking dizzy, and the size of the radiator!
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: Boosted 3TC. Wed, 20 July 2005 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We boost anything in the u.s. They all go fast.... as anything else.
Don't seem like folks your way like to "gamble" on any powerplant outside of the mainstream.... trust me, it pays.
For instance, our s13s come with the 'crappy ka24 2.4L truck motor'. When boosted, it pounds the 5hit outta the 'overrated' sr20.
We got the gze (aw11 only) and lotsa 4ag
yep, its the puerto ricans that master the 3t and the rotary. Thank goodness they're not backed with mega $$$$ like the 2jz drag racing teams.... there's no telling where that 'little' 3t will end up then.
There are some 10sec street 3TC corollas and kp61 starlets about. A couple rollas even on street tires. Dunno if ya wanna go faster than that.
Most items on turbo injected 3Ts are custom jobs, and can get costly if you don't fab your own stuff. Easier and cheaper to get 12s from a turbo 4ag rolla if thats all you're after
ozzy31
Occasional Poster

June 2005

Re: Boosted 3TC. Wed, 20 July 2005 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We never saw 18r-g or 2t-g style motors... as was suggested it was either 2TC/3TC or 20R/22R back then... too the 3AC,4AC; whatever it was the Tercel and Corolla had...

In racing, it's accepted as fact that if you're going to boost anything boost the 2T/3T motor. One doesn't see boosted 4A-G's in road course racing...

[Updated on: Wed, 20 July 2005 22:12]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Boosted 3TC. Thu, 21 July 2005 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Despite what the north Americans seem to think, we didn't get the 2T-G or 18R-G here either. We also didn't get the 1G or 1JZ or 2JZ. They're all second-hand imports from Japan, but that doesn't stop people around here from playing with them! Seems a bit strange to suggest we don't like to "gamble on any powerplant outside of the mainstream". Confused
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: Boosted 3TC. Thu, 21 July 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it seems quite the other way, I have seen a lot of odd stuff around the place. A lot of the american forums I visit it seems that a lot of them want bolt ons and arent interested in doing anything one off or custom. I know for my non-toyota car a lot of the stuff is one off fabricated here and sent to the states, because no one there will give it a go.

Ka24's are a bit of a waste of time for us, seeing as they only came in bluebirds and pintara's, both front wheel drive. I dont think anyone would bother importing a 240sx.

Im just glad 3tc's are pretty indestructable after what we have out ours through Smile, and its not even boosted.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Boosted 3TC. Thu, 21 July 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Despite what the north Americans seem to think, we didn't get the 2T-G or 18R-G here either. We also didn't get the 1G or 1JZ or 2JZ. They're all second-hand imports from Japan,

Same thing here in Europe, but you Australians seem to have proper engine importers unlike here. Here engines like you mentioned are really expensive and hard to get.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Boosted 3TC. Thu, 21 July 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 00:51

That engine bay almost looks alright... it's just interesting to see the carbs, the stock-looking dizzy, and the size of the radiator!

what?? there's an engine in that sweet ke15/17 sprinter???
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Boosted 3TC. Thu, 21 July 2005 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jayem wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 23:08

Same thing here in Europe, but you Australians seem to have proper engine importers unlike here. Here engines like you mentioned are really expensive and hard to get.

yar we do ok,, although NZ gets the best of both worlds.. engines AND cars..

so far japan doesn't seem that car crazy.. maybe i'm too far north Razz
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Boosted 3TC. Thu, 21 July 2005 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe We did get only like 100-200 3T's in TT132 Coronas. So even 3T is tough word on the streets here in Finland... Razz
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: Boosted 3TC. Thu, 21 July 2005 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
by "outside of the mainstream", I'm refering to any motor that does not have 4 valves per cylinder, which are generally percieved (by most u guys) to not be a "performance motor", or worth the effort and are so inferior to....
Eg.; The 22re, buick v6, 3tc, etc.. U know what I mean
Went thru this on your aussie starion forums also.
They're quick to discredit their sohc staz 2L and opt for the vr4 dohc.
I asked the simple question, if anybody made one single 'serious' sohc effort. No they haven't, yet they make the *assumptions* that it can't perform/not worth it. Brainwashed.

yes, alot of yanks, like everybody else want the ez way out. This normally found with the younger "pepsi generation".
Case in point is all those bandwagoners tossing out their ka24 for a slower, more expensive to mod and buy, import sr20..... instead of turbocharging the 'worthless truck motor'. Pretty much the norm here too.
One ka recently put down a whopping 600ft-lbs tq to the wheels - that is 6cyl territory! Did it using stock head/intake/throttle body. Yep, you surely won't have any use for a monster like that in a fwd.

I seriously doubt u have as many odd turbo'd motor as we have. The buick v6, 3T, 22re are just a few of many moded 'oddballs' we have lots of. Not the case with u guys from what I've seen.

Moded a 3t in my 1st rolla. Its a darn good, very simple little motor
Johnny Blade
Regular

May 2003

Re: Boosted 3TC. Thu, 21 July 2005 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jayem wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 16:43

Hehe We did get only like 100-200 3T's in TT132 Coronas. So even 3T is tough word on the streets here in Finland... Razz

Here in Sweden there's a lot of 3T-C in TE72,TA47 and TA60.
But we don't have any G or JZ-cars until Lexus IS200 and Supra JZ80.
There's a few 2T-G and a handful of 18R-G.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Boosted 3TC. Thu, 21 July 2005 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johnny Blade wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 02:38

Jayem wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 16:43

lucky buggers, we never got the TE series corollas until the TE71/72.. which, although it had a 3TC, was not a great car... kind of had all the bits they didn't want to put in the KE/AE70 and the AE86,...

we have IS200, but not the JZA80... the JZ's would be well recieved i think Wink

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Boosted 3TC. Thu, 21 July 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quest wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 02:28

by "outside of the mainstream", I'm refering to any motor that does not have 4 valves per cylinder, which are generally percieved (by most u guys) to not be a "performance motor", or worth the effort and are so inferior to....
Eg.; The 22re, buick v6, 3tc, etc.. U know what I mean

I think you'll find it has little to to with the number of valves. We can get cheap late-model high-performance engines over here (most of which happen to be 4 valves/cyl), so in terms of bang for your buck it's nearly always better to use one of these instead of starting with a lower baseline and building from there.

Having said that, plenty of people are playing with older "low tech" stuff in these parts. Myself, I'm building a home-brew turbo 18R-G (that's right 2 valves/cyl) and in the past I've owned 2T's, 3T's, 5M-E's, a 5M-GE and a 6M-GE. In fact the only multi-valve engine I've ever owned is the 2JZ-GTE I have now, and considering it cost me $2900 I think you'll agree it was far more cost-effective than trying to squeeze a reliable 400hp out of the old 6M!
frontspinner
Regular

January 2005
Re: Boosted 3TC. Fri, 22 July 2005 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does anyone know how much a wreckers spec 3TC costs?
if they are cheap, it would be worth getting ablout 5 and playing with them!
the reason im asking about 3t's is that im trying to decide on an engine for my KE35, i was going to go for a 4age but i kindof want to keep it old school.
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: Boosted 3TC. Fri, 22 July 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We bought 2 complete running(well one would have run if we fixed the dizzy) t18's for $400 ($300 for 1, $100 for the other). I think t18's are worth about $100 in average condition!

I think like has been said, they are only good because they will take a lot of punishment, not because they are a good design.

Depends what you wanted to do to the 4age.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Boosted 3TC. Sat, 23 July 2005 01:03 Go to previous message
Quote:

All the TE corollas came here with 2T same with Carinas.
TA47 would be so nice, we did get none. Was RA28 imported to Sweden?

I recently sold a 3T crank that was badly worn. I got 80¤(125AUD) just for the busted crank. 3T engines that are in good nick goes for 200-300¤ (315-470AUD). It's sellers markets here.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2jzge into Zed
Next Topic:Oxygen Sensor
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 19:44:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050420761108398 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.