Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
aussie260z
Regular

April 2005
Wiring 2jzge into 260z Thu, 21 July 2005 02:24 Go to next message
Now the real fun begins.............

Gots to sort out the 2jzge wiring harness, ive built from the ground up a wiring harness for a Valiant Charger, but just looking at all the crap on my 2jzge i think its going to be a tad bit more complicated than the old Charger,

Ive managed to track down wiring diagrams of both the 2jzge and the 260z,
Anybody got any good places to start with this?
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Thu, 21 July 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should be pretty straight forward.

To actually run the thing you only need a handful of wires hooked up to power. All the wiring should be in the wiring diagrams in the repository (ie which ones need a STRT signal, which ones require IGN and which ones require a constant 12 V). Those that need IGN and STRT inputs, I'd splice from your existing 260Z wiring and run them through fused relays, so the ECU gets a good signal from fresh wire rather than thru oxidized 30 year old wire. I found the little JB Camira fuse boxes up in the back of the LHS engine bay to be very nice - hold 4 fuses and 2 Bosch relays. I'd also wire in a circuit opening relay for the fuel pump.

And to quote Cool1, make sure your earths are good.

As a guide, I suggest this link.

www.autoshop101.com
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Thu, 21 July 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think wiring an engine into an old car is easy. Basically all the wiring you will need will be to simply run the engine, not much will need to be spliced into the body loom. If you've done it before it won't be too much of a drama second time round.

Hen
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Thu, 21 July 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Exactly.

The only thing I forgot was that if your 260Z has an external voltage regulator, you'll need to do a little rewiring for the internally regulated 2JZGE altenator.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Thu, 21 July 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, it was that regulator wiring that really messed with my head. But once you have it done properly it makes sense and is much simpler and neater than an external regulator.
aussie260z
Regular

April 2005
Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Sat, 29 October 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been looking at the wiring diagrams and it shouldnt be massively hard to wire it in, but i might just be lazy and get it done for me, just depends on how much time i have,

But before i start on the wiring harness i have a few problems that i probably should deal with first though,

Firstly my gauges, i dont really know how to deal with this, i figure that i cant use the Zed oil and water gauges unless i can somehow get the old L-Series sender units into the 2jz block, the only info i have on how this was done was something along the lines of "there is thankfully lots of holes to put the sender units from the L-Series into the 1jz engine" this was from the zoom article with the 1jz/240z, anyone got any ideas???

Secondly, not to sure about what to do with the speedo and tacho, ive been told my tacho wont work, but im not sure why?
And the speedo connection on the w58 box looks as if an electrical connection and not an old school cable, dont suppose you know of a way around this???

Thirdy, not to sure about what i should do with Radiator, i will have to use a thermofan as the stock engine fan looks as if it would have the chassis rail, but im thinking i might be able to just use the stock datto radiator and install a 16" thermo fan - do you guys think this will cool the 2jzge sufficently???
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Sat, 29 October 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1) Sender units.
Check the threads to see if the sender units are the same thread as the 2JZ ones. If not, adaptors are available, usually from a speedo shop. From memory, the oil one is bloody cramped so it may not physically fit in the space down there. If that's the case, take the big hollow bolt out of the oil filter holder and get it tapped to suit your 260Z oil sender.

2) Replace electric speed sender with cable drive unit. Probably need to interpose a pulse generator - chat to "sideshow" - he sells these and can give you some pointers. As for tacho, send "sixworks" an email. Or alternately, take it to the speedo shop, tell them what you are doing and they'll sort it out for you. Something about the way the pulses are generated etc - someone with electronics geniusness can interject anytime here! Laughing

3) Probably OK, but you might have to "suck it and see"? I run my 2JZGE with a recoed Corona radiator and a 12" thermo fan. No probs but I have never driven it in traffic on a hot summer's day.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Sat, 29 October 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
re; tacho

you might be able to build this circuit http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/7362/coilnegemulator4ly.gif

im pretty sure this will work on your car. its something to do with the new engine producing a 5V square wave where as the old style tachos use something different
aussie260z
Regular

April 2005
Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Sat, 29 October 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks heaps for that guys, i was thinking that i was pretty much stuck with buying whole new gauges,

Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Sun, 30 October 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you get really stuck, you can always contact Phil Ellicott in the UK who now owns the ex-Zoom Datsun 240z with the 1jz conversion.

http://soarercentral.com/cgi-bin/sc-forum/board-pr ofile.cgi?action=view_profile&profile=240jz-us ers
aussie260z
Regular

April 2005
Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Mon, 31 October 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The oil sender is the one at the back of the block, bout half-way up the bore on the sixth cylinder on the intake side right???

This motor aint like looking at the old Hemi265 Smile
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Mon, 31 October 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I always though the sender was on or near No1 cylinder at the front of the block under the intake.
Sure you're not looking at the knock sensor that far back?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Mon, 31 October 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oil sender is right down the bottom at the front, number 1 cylinder, behind the AC compressor, intake side.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Mon, 31 October 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 2JZ can get pretty hot, the stock clutch fan keeps mine plenty cool, but in traffic I dunno if a thermo would be up to the task....
aussie260z
Regular

April 2005
Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Tue, 01 November 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmmmmmm............the engine fan works of engine speed, if the engine aint reving it aint going to going very fast, a 16" fan pulling some 2200cfm of air into the engine way is going to keep it alot cooler than any engine fan will in traffic i'd be thinking,

I spoke to Phil Elliot and he said that the original Temp sender unit on the 1jz was used with the Stock Datto Temp Gauge, but he said that it only read's half of what the actual temperature of the engine is,

How could i get this gauge to read accurately???
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Tue, 01 November 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Two ways.
1) Buy adapter and fit Datsun water temp sender to 2JZ.

2) Use Toyota water temp sender and have your Datsun guage recalibrated (if possible).

Method 1 is a shitload easier and cheaper.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Tue, 01 November 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the reason stock tacho wont work impretty sure even with that device pictured above

toyota tachos in old cars work of negative side of coil it just gets an rpm pulse and its a strong pulse so u can boost the 2j signal to make toyota tachos work

nissan tachos have a very old shit design

the neg signal from coil doesnt goto the points
it goes to the tacho and loops round a pickup then it goes to the points
so it basicallygets a signal when the field collapses when points open and shhut

the signal is in series where the toyota is more of a parallel

anyway the probs yr are havin is sooo common these days with most conversions its just i tell customer this before hand where as most shops doin the conversion do not think about this and in the end their price sounds much cheaper than mine so customer gets it done there but gets car back with nothin working hehe

its just annoying havin to spend 500 to 1000 to get nice set of guages working accurately but hey no conversion is straight forward and under 1000 bucks

if u want cheaper gauges buy vdo ones as the autometer elect speedo is about 500

and another thing to think about if u get a mechanical speedo drive the 260 cable will fit but will it be accurate

least if u get an elect speedo u just calibrate it to suit yr car then if u do change the diff or tyres sometime u just recalibrate it by pushin buttons

its bitmore expensive at start to buy the elct speedo but least it will be accurate and save money in the future
aussie260z
Regular

April 2005
Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Tue, 01 November 2005 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I spoke to a local instrument shop (i think the only one in Canberra) and they said because my speedo is electronic and not an older mechanical cable type setup, i would need a piggy-back box, they said they cost about $320 for them to make and to re-calibrate my speedo it usally costs around $140, it would be cheaper to go and buy an autometer electronic speedo from Autobarn!!!

Even at the moment i think i have resigned myself to getting aftermarket Autometer gauges, but i aint going to be paying anything close to $500 for the f#cking speedo,
There is one importer in Australia of Autometer gauges, this one importer stocks all the Aussie shelves, like Autobarn or any other place that might sell them Retail, the mark up is HUGE!!!,

Mate who does importing quoted me around $850AUD, for 5 gauges, 5" Electronic programable speedo, 5" tach, and 3 2 1/16" elextric gauges,

Guy at Autobarn almost fell of his chair when i asked him to match the price Smile, he quoted around $1500AUD,

If you ever buy these gauges, do not purchase them retail in Australia, go to online stores like www.summitracing.com and you will pay literally half of what you will pay buying locally,

gianttomato & sideshow
Dont suppose you guys know the threads of the oil and temp senders on the 2jz?
I wanted to get a Metric speedo and the other gauges are just the same line of Autometer gauges, so they match, Ultra-Lite,

I was going to probably get this gauge for the Temp,
http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid= 3467&sid=11

And this gauge for the Oil,
http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid= 3466&sid=11

Do you think im going to need an adapter to get these sender units into the 2jz, the website says they use a 1/8" NPT thread,

I was also planning on using this Speedo,
http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid= 3138&sid=11,
Its electric and programable so i can just wire it in and program it to suit,

And this Tacho,
http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid= 3140&sid=11

Will this tacho work with the 2jzge N/A engine???

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Wed, 02 November 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are prepared to wait till the weekend I can give you the diameter and thread of both.

As for speedo, just put a mechanical drive into your W58 gearbox - you'll need to pull the extension housing off to do this. Get a speedo cable made to go to your 260Z speedo with the Toyota connection at the gearbox end and a Datto connection at the speedo end (I am making the assumption that the 260Z uses a speedo cable). When you are up and running, take the car to a dyno and get them to do some speedo calibration runs. Take speedo and data fronm dyno to said instrument shop and get it recalibrated. This is a shitload cheaper than buying a range of aftermarket gauges and you'll retain the original look of the car.

I will get a photo of what I did for the oil pressure sender on my 2JZGE. This is uber easy and will cost you almost nothing.
aussie260z
Regular

April 2005
Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Wed, 02 November 2005 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"This is a shitload cheaper than buying a range of aftermarket gauges and you'll retain the original look of the car."

Well it looks as if i will be stuck getting an aftermarket tacho no matter what i do,

When i spoke to Phil Elliott, he said he dosent have a working oil pressure gauge and of course what i said before about the temp sender,

When i spoke to the instrument shop, they said if the thread's of the Datto sender's were bigger than the thread's of the toyota sender's i would pretty much be up sh#t creek,

It just appears that at the minimium im going to have to use an aftermarket tacho, maybe an aftermarket temp gauge, but will be able to retain the fuel, speedo and temp gauge - so a nice half'n'half look Smile,

I'd prefer one or the other, but i would prefer to keep it looking stock, but this might be tricky,

But at the moment im still keen to try and keep the stock gauges, so i'd love to see of pic of how you did your oil pressure sender and im in no hurry mate so i can wait untill the weekend for threads,
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Fri, 04 November 2005 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solutions:

Speedo
Put mechanical speedo drive in gearbox. Buy pulse generator for ECU from "sideshow". Get speedo cable made by these people.

Tacho
Take tacho to instrument shop. Tell them what you have done and tell them you want it to work. Hand over some folding stuff.

Oil
Take out bolt that holds the oil filter assembly to the block. Take to a machinist with the Datsun oil pressure sender and ask him to tap that thread into the head of the bolt.

Water
A few possible solutions.
Thread adaptor, tap Datsun water temp sender thread into thermostat housing or into head where the Toyota one goes. Your choice.

If you price these out, they will be far cheaper than all new gauges and you will maintain the factory look.
aussie260z
Regular

April 2005
Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Fri, 04 November 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehehe, thanks dude, thats very helpful, just to clarify.....

"Put mechanical speedo drive in gearbox. Buy pulse generator for ECU from "sideshow". Get speedo cable made by these people."

How do i put the mechanical speedo drive in the gearbox?

Have another quick question that is sorta re-lated to this, when i put the transmission in my zed the shifter location was quite far back - im using a w58 from a Supra with the shifter extension housing, im thinking if the shifter came straight up the shifter would be in the perfect position - its possible to change the shifter's on the w-series over right???

"Tacho
Take tacho to instrument shop. Tell them what you have done and tell them you want it to work. Hand over some folding stuff."

I hate handing over folding stuff Smile

"Oil
Take out bolt that holds the oil filter assembly to the block. Take to a machinist with the Datsun oil pressure sender and ask him to tap that thread into the head of the bolt."

So i remove that rather large bolt that holds the oil filter assembly to the block, then take it and my Datto oil sender unit to the machinist and ask him to tap that thread into the head of the bolt............i take it this thread is the same thread as the 2jz oil sender unit thread? so once i get the Datto sender unit re-tapped, i would then remove the 2jz factory oil sender unit and install the newly modified Datto sender unit in its place?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Fri, 04 November 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aussie260z wrote on Sat, 05 November 2005 10:04

How do i put the mechanical speedo drive in the gearbox?

Have another quick question that is sorta re-lated to this, when i put the transmission in my zed the shifter location was quite far back - im using a w58 from a Supra with the shifter extension housing, im thinking if the shifter came straight up the shifter would be in the perfect position - its possible to change the shifter's on the w-series over right???

Find an old W58 that uses a mechanical drive, remove it and fit it to your W58. You'll need to undo bolts! Very Happy
As for the shifter position, yes you can change it but you will need to modify the shifter the tiniest bit. Norbie did this when he fitted the W58 to his 2JZGTE. He might even be able to supply you the required bits seeing as he killed his W58....
See here.

aussie260z wrote on Sat, 05 November 2005 10:04

So i remove that rather large bolt that holds the oil filter assembly to the block, then take it and my Datto oil sender unit to the machinist and ask him to tap that thread into the head of the bolt............i take it this thread is the same thread as the 2jz oil sender unit thread? so once i get the Datto sender unit re-tapped, i would then remove the 2jz factory oil sender unit and install the newly modified Datto sender unit in its place?

You will need to check the threads. If the 2JZ oil sender thread is the same as the Datsun oil sender thread, just screw the Datto one where the 2JZ one is. If they are different, then the easiest thing to do is just get the Datsun thread tapped into the head of the the hollow bolt that holds the oil filter assembly to the block. It has oil going thru it so you can measure the oil pressure from there. Later model VVTi 2JZGEs do this.
aussie260z
Regular

April 2005
Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Sat, 05 November 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Find an old W58 that uses a mechanical drive, remove it and fit it to your W58. You'll need to undo bolts!
As for the shifter position, yes you can change it but you will need to modify the shifter the tiniest bit. Norbie did this when he fitted the W58 to his 2JZGTE. He might even be able to supply you the required bits seeing as he killed his W58....
See here."

What are you saying i gotta undue bolts? That means at some point i will probably have to do them back up again!!! f#ck this conversion!!!

Seriously, thanks for that dude - massive help Smile,

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Sat, 05 November 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Sat, 05 November 2005 10:41

See here.

You only have to modify the shift linkage (the modification is done to the shift linkage rod) if you are using the JZA80 shift rod the bolt hole to mount the shift linkage elbow is different. Get the normal rod from a steel plate gearbox and it should be fine. The alloy sandwich plate and steel plate boxes have a slightly different shifter rod to my know knowledge as well, the section of rod that sits in the shift forks (if you can understand?) is smaller on the steel plate boxes I believe, I suspect you could just grind it down, but it would be easier to drill the hole needed in the JZA80 one. Smile

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/Random/Shifters/tn_DSC01459.JPG

My steel plate W58 on the left, norbies modified JZA80 W58 on the right.

aussie260z:
I have a GA70/MA70 position (second most reward), only have an alloy sandwich plate shift fork, not the steel plate one that you are after..., I also have a shifter and inner speedo gear (that goes inside the gearbox to replace the speedo sender) if you are interested. Smile

Cheers
Wilbo

[Updated on: Sat, 05 November 2005 07:59]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Sat, 05 November 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From memory that's what Norbie did - tapped a new hole and did a bit of grinding.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Sat, 05 November 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Sat, 05 November 2005 14:33

From memory that's what Norbie did - tapped a new hole and did a bit of grinding.

I think it is one or the other, either grinding or drill and tapping. Pretty sure norbie only had to drill and tap his (no grinding).

Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Sun, 06 November 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get friendly with someone who has a collection of taps etc. (lucky I live too far away Very Happy ), and getting the oil+water temp gauges working should be nice and easy.
aussie260z
Regular

April 2005
Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Thu, 10 November 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666

"My steel plate W58 on the left, norbies modified JZA80 W58 on the right.

aussie260z:
I have a GA70/MA70 position (second most reward), only have an alloy sandwich plate shift fork, not the steel plate one that you are after..., I also have a shifter and inner speedo gear (that goes inside the gearbox to replace the speedo sender) if you are interested. "

Thanks for the offer champ, but im pretty sure im just going to go the aftermarket gauges,

The speedo and tacho will actually work out cheaper for me if i buy them from the states, instead of getting my Datto ones modified, it should cost somewhere around the $750-$800AUD mark for 4 new gauges, including a 5" electric programable speedo (its like $550AUD in Aussie stores),

As for the shifter, thanks for the replies guys, seems like its relatively straight forward to change the shifter's, here is a pic of where it comes up in the trans tunnell, if i used this shifter location i will have to modify the trans tunnel slightly and the centre console,

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=3219& amp;cat=500&page=2

Will using the other W 5-spd box shifter location put the shifter in a position were i dont have to modify anything? or will it bring it to far forward???
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wiring 2jzge into 260z Fri, 11 November 2005 00:10 Go to previous message
wilbo666 wrote on Sat, 05 November 2005 14:24

gianttomato wrote on Sat, 05 November 2005 14:33

I think it is one or the other, either grinding or drill and tapping. Pretty sure norbie only had to drill and tap his (no grinding).

Yup, drill and tap was all I had to do.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MA61 electric arial
Next Topic:4AC alternator bracket on a RWD 20v issues
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:57:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0084559917449951 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.