Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Mon, 18 July 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice work mate, looks like its almost done!

Cheers
Wilbo
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Mon, 18 July 2005 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks good dude!
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Tue, 19 July 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well after sitting down and thinking about the wiring i am keen again to wire it myself. i started to get everything ready and pulled apart the 1G-GE ECU to copy down pin types (because the main power plug is still in my car).

Anyway i got to the GTE ECU and there was nothing. no pin defines, not even 1G-GTE written on the cover, as what was with the 1G-GE. Anyway the GTE ECU is packed with stuff compared to the GE ECU (i realise there is more stuff to monitor with the GTE, but really? Anyway here are two more pics of the GTE ECU. Is this what it is meant to be like? and what is written on the case.

CASE
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/6950/gtecase6ga.jpg

INSIDE
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/813/gteecu0ow.jpg
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Tue, 19 July 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That should be piss easy to wire up if you look at http://www.toymods.org.au/Repository
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Tue, 19 July 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes it should and i have been going through that for a while now. it finally hit me why i wasn't getting very far though. The plug config on that ECU is 22,16,26. My ECU runs a 10,18,24 pin plug. AARRGGHH!!! its really one thing after another. This is a gen 2 motor (i guess as it is air/air IC) with yellow Injectors!!!!

Anyway that is the exact same pin config as the GE ECU. the look exactly the same, its just what is inside that is different. I have copied down every pin off the GE ECU (even the ones that weren't wired) so is there any chance the GTE is the same? the run exactly the same plugs. HELP me please...
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Tue, 19 July 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry i am a fool. the Jepgs are the other plugs. the Doc,s and .PDF's are my plugs. OK we are back in action then...
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Tue, 19 July 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should be able to work it out anyway... there aint too much to it.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Wed, 20 July 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok i worked most of today but got back around 4 and though i may start this wiring. i decided to cut the plugs off the z20 as they should come in handy. However there is an extra white plug on the loom. any ideas on what it could be. there are all the yellow plugs that .pdf file says there is but there is one extra little white plug. Maybe something to do with the auto? any ideas?

Anyway so i thought i would just have a look around the car and things. My suspension comes across to the radiator. it leaves a little hole that a thin sheet of metal has been tacked on. Well i always thought i could run piping through it and thus it would be easy to pipe the IC.

Anyway long story short with all the standard piping from the z20 and replacing the two black pipes with 2inch PVC (30cm and 25cm long) the IC is fully piped up as a front mount. Yes it is the "crappy" stock IC and yes PVC is dodgy but it will let me drive it to the exhaust shop to get it done properly. i could even boost it to see it everything is working. (as previously i only had pipe and no IC so i was scared of to much hot air going into the motor).

So the next problem is my dump. As i need about 5cm cut off the pipe to line the dump up with my exhaust. will it be loud with only a dump? reckon i could cruise to the exhaust shop on the dump?

Oh and don't forget if you have ideas on that extra white plug that would be great

Thanks
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Wed, 20 July 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pics man, pics. I cbf thinking right now.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Wed, 20 July 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok the new plug

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1669/newplugside9tu.jpg

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/2568/newplugtop6sr.jpg

And i googled the Denso ECU. turns out it is a performance place in japan so lets hope i have an aftermarket ECU Very Happy

Also i am concerned about the speed line on the ECU as i don't really have a speed output, i am fairly sure. Lets hope it doesn't sit in limp home mode.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Wed, 20 July 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ndgcpr wrote on Wed, 20 July 2005 18:42

And i googled the Denso ECU. turns out it is a performance place in japan so lets hope i have an aftermarket ECU Very Happy

Denso make lots of stuff, I wouldn't call them a performance place. Guarantee you'll find a few things on the engine they made, check around the dizzy and coil/igniter for instance. Smile

w00t! Another Gen2 owner.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Wed, 20 July 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey man don't wreck my fun Mad , did your gen2 have that extra white plug? can i leave it out?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Wed, 20 July 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope, just the 3 ECU ones and the dash ones. Mine matched up exactly with the PDF's.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Wed, 20 July 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so does mine, but it has an extra. it actually matches the H1 plug on the Jpegs. which is only used as power to the meter's. Also where is the fuel relay stuff? i am having trouble finding mine. should the pump make lots of noise? if i turn the car on and stick my head at the fuel tank should i hear it? i don't remember hearing in with the other motor

Thanks
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Wed, 20 July 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pump shouldn't be noisy at all. Circuit opening relay for fuel pump should be in the drivers side kick panel.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Wed, 20 July 2005 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man, you are worried about one plug!!! I better not show you under the dash of my car!!! Laughing Shocked

It is looking really good though.

I would drive it to exhaust shop if it isn't too far. I did with my car but I noticed single turbo was a lot quieter than 2 smaller ones.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Thu, 21 July 2005 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i have got in and traced wires from the main plug in the bay. it all seems to be one pin out??? like the batt is seen on 10 not 11 and the main relay is 3 not 4??? very strange. My GE ecu states the same sort of things and its power in the plug is out by one too. dunno what is going on.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Thu, 21 July 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looking very tidy indeed mate... going to be loud and meaty with just the dump pipe on there Very Happy

good job indeed...

video and sound of the car when you start her up!

(btw, havent been on MSN often cause they blocked it at work)
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Thu, 21 July 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i know this is probably really annoying for you all but i just wanna make sure.

I just have to wire:

M-relay (which just goes 12V when the main relay switches)
Batt (constant 12V)
IG S/W (12V when the ignition is on)
+B and +B1 (switches or constant 12V)
STA (12V when the starter is spinning)

Does all that sound good? I just want to make sure. Sorry
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Thu, 21 July 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds about right.

Wire up the 4 wires on that plug near the fuse box via the diagram. Wire up the alternator. Wire up the dash stuff. Wire up the fuel pump. That should be pretty much it.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Sat, 23 July 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone know what the EFI.ECD relay does? or what it stands for? thanks.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Sun, 24 July 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ITS ALIVE!!!!! (for short periods of time)

Its most probably because i didn't wire enough, actually i wired hardly anything (except for the dash) because everything that needed power was already getting it from the existing wires.

The current problem lies in the fuel pump. I didn't have any FPR lines on the old ECU (unless it is FC???? anyone?). So i didn't wire it. Currently the fuel pump fires when running on the starter (at 12V's so full power right?). once the starter is turned off the fuel pump follows. the car then idles and drains all the fuel out of the system and dies.

I cannot find the fuel pump relay anywhere though.... I have found the circuit opening relay which lightly switches on IG and then switches loudly on STA. so maybe it is in that.

Anyway the fuel pump runs at low speed then when required it pumps harder right? would it be bad if i just wire my own relay so the pump gets 12V all the time???

I have traced some wires but the disappear on the drivers kick panel and no relays there (besides the opening relay) switches on STA.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS (ITS ALIVE, sorta) Sun, 24 July 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have worked it out. its the old "extra wire from the COR to the AFM trick" that justcallmefrank keeps telling me about (sorry i didn't listen man)
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS (ITS ALIVE, sorta) Sun, 24 July 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well duh!! Laughing

I just hardwired my pump to get it working at first... now it runs off the circuit open relay triggered by the AFM as it should.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS (ITS ALIVE, sorta) Sun, 24 July 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah wasn't paying enough attention. i am pretty sure i have no fuel relay. it runs straight of the opening relay. which is where i was having trouble. but yeah the whole thing runs for ages. i reved it up and the turbos sound nice out the dump. so i just gotta get the exhaust tacked back on and it all should be sweet.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Sun, 24 July 2005 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh it is a little confusing at first if you haven't done any research. Regardless, it's very possible to get the car running without connecting everything up right. I should know, I did it! But I smartened up a little so now i don't suffer from things not working right... like the ISCV and AFM trigger wire.

Next project - rewire our dirt thrasher KE70 after putting a 4a-f in it Wink
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Mon, 25 July 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good work gavin!

Second the appeal for sound file of engine with no exhaust Razz
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS (ITS ALIVE, sorta) Mon, 25 July 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ndgcpr wrote on Sun, 24 July 2005 13:48

i have worked it out. its the old "extra wire from the COR to the AFM trick" that justcallmefrank keeps telling me about (sorry i didn't listen man)

That's okay. At least I laid the seed and you tried it Razz
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Tue, 26 July 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well here is prelim test carried out in controlled environment. It started and reved high but quietened down. and i don't think i reved it enough either. the tacho i am having probs wiring and the loud exhaust made me change early

http://users.tpg.com.au/phiele01/

hope you like it
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Tue, 26 July 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, seems smoother than yours Frank!

You'll need a booster for the tacho dude.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Tue, 26 July 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 26 July 2005 16:46

Haha, seems smoother than yours Frank!

Wouldn't surprise me, although it's much better now. That said, I think mine would have to have a record for longest sitting around Laughing I'll have a listen when I get home for comparison sake. Driving around though, mine is smooth as a babies butt, and heel toeing is a revelation compared to the 21R-C Laughing
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Tue, 26 July 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 26 July 2005 16:46

You'll need a booster for the tacho dude.

In *theory* the tacho won't work properly without a booster, unless you have a freak car like Johal. That said, good luck getting a hold of them, Sixworks hasn't had any for months.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Tue, 26 July 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am having trouble doing the tacho and water temp. thats all thats left. the tacho i am not to worried about i guess but the temp gauge i have concerns for. just don't know which line it is Sad. and the booster? is it just to convert 5V pulsing to 12V?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Tue, 26 July 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Temp gauge should wire up as per normal.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Tue, 26 July 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what does the guage do? 12V's hot 0V's cold? i have lost the pin it was on.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Tue, 26 July 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No idea what it does.

Match it up with MA61 wiring.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Tue, 26 July 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it would put out 12V's and judge the temp via the resistance no? like a temp sensor just changes its resistance to ground?
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Thu, 28 July 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the exhaust went on this morning. I am aware of what exhausts do, but honestly it is so quiet now. the turbos will still make a bit of noise though. haven't fully boosted it due to me still not having a functional temp gauge but i will soon.

The old exhaust that didn't fit (off the z20) has 2 mufflers and a silencer. i now have a single muffler on it and it has mode so much difference. I haven't driven the car in a while and was impressed at how smooth the whole thing felt. it just seemed to be running nicely, which is always good.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Thu, 28 July 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What sort of exhaust did you get?
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Thu, 28 July 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just got them to weld the old one back on that was on the soarer. i want it going so did this, will plan for a new exhaust when i get a decent IC or something. its just 2.5 inch nothing special. cost me 50 bucks
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Fri, 29 July 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the temp gauge is done, all thats left is the tacho which i am not so worried about. looks like proper testing will be on the cards either tonight or tomorrow morning. also my temp gauge was putting out 5V's so hopefully the tacho will accept 5V's also Smile but i doubt it.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Fri, 29 July 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can only try Smile Congrats dude.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Fri, 29 July 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Congratulations.

Other than how smooth it is, what are your other initial impressions of the 1G-GTE, over the 1G-GE?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Fri, 29 July 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geez that was a damn quick engine conversion!

my hat comes off to you dude!

what did it end up costing you?
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Fri, 29 July 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 11:23

geez that was a damn quick engine conversion!

give me two weeks for my 1ggte RA40 conversion - just waiting on the right sump Wink

need another video too Evil or Very Mad

[Updated on: Fri, 29 July 2005 10:32]

ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Sat, 30 July 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All i can say is F#CK YEAH!!!! this thing hammers. you hear the turbo's and then bam your flying. yes i know that is is probably crap power due to me running the crap stock IC and 2 1/2 exhaust but i am happy and have lots of room to easily improve it when i get used to the power Smile.

Due to finding a cheap crashed car and doing 99.9% totally at home myself (only the exhaust was welded buy someone else. total cost is probably $1000 - $1500 total. which is rather good. i pulled all the stings i could and got a free thermo, lots of labour help for a 6 pack of jack daniel, ect. i am happy with the outcome, just hope i don't blow something lol

Thanks for all the help throughout it everyone esp justcallmefrank and crUZsida
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Sun, 21 August 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Congratulations Gavin.

Enjoy all that extra POWAHHHH
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Sun, 21 August 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ndgcpr wrote on Sat, 30 July 2005 10:31

Thanks for all the help throughout it everyone esp justcallmefrank and crUZsida

Not a problem mate, I can only hope mine is fixed and working properly soon Razz
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G-GTE conversion into a Z10 soarer PICS Its Alive!!! Sun, 21 August 2005 11:40 Go to previous message
well while its here i may as well post my graph in this thread too. only doing 6psi atm so once everything is perfect i may look at upping it. oh and those following costings, that early estimate is way out, its now more like 3G but i am making some back from selling parts.

I am getting more used to it and it does really drop off in power after it has spooled, but yeah its good fun. still yet to see how it stacks up against other cars though.

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/1097/dyno1lp.jpg
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:18rgeu engine parts
Next Topic:240sx strut bar on a ra65
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 17:03:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.017520189285278 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.