Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How long is my 7M going to last?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

How long is my 7M going to last? Thu, 21 July 2005 10:56 Go to next message
I'm curious as to know how long people tend to think my 7MGE will last before blowing another head gasket.
Heres the story:

I rebuilt it 18000km ago. New head, block surfaced, genuine HG, torqued down to 73ftlbs. I have since pulled it down again to discover no tension was lost.

it runs coolant and is regularly serviced...

Any ideas on whether or not the hg will go again, and how long if it will? Anyone hear anything from USA forums about repeat 7M problems?

thanks
Blake
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How long is my 7M going to last? Thu, 21 July 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it's repaired properly and torqued down properly, there is no reason it should be any more prone to failure than any other engine provided you keep it healthy.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: How long is my 7M going to last? Thu, 21 July 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats what i thought..but i dont think anybody knows why 7ms blow hgs. Theres MANY reasons (low torque, tight tolerances etc etc)

just curious as to what people have heard Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 21 July 2005 11:06]

ozzy31
Occasional Poster

June 2005

Re: How long is my 7M going to last? Thu, 21 July 2005 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would agree... it's not liable to happen again.

Generally don't re-use old head bolts. Get new ones. I learned the hard way...
trevtrev
Regular

October 2004
Re: How long is my 7M going to last? Thu, 21 July 2005 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When do you normally see the first blown HG on a 7MGE? My m8 has a grandpa-driven one with 178000km on it with good servicing and no probs...
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How long is my 7M going to last? Thu, 21 July 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A 7M is a ticking bomb. Good maintenance will help a lot, but there are plenty of stories of well-maintained 7M's that still pop a gasket for no apparent reason.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: How long is my 7M going to last? Fri, 22 July 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stock boost, 68ft-pounds headbolt tension, has proven very reliable for me over the past near 3 years i've had the 7m supra.

Have Run Toyota red coolant, always let it cool down after a drive and i really don't see it cuasing any problems. (recheck the headbolts every 6-12monts to see if they have come loose, so far have not budged)
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How long is my 7M going to last? Fri, 22 July 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sean (MS-75) wrote a good post about the alloy used in 7m heads and the possibilty of it softening under heat (such as when the head is cooked the first time) leading to repeated failures of HG's. It's an interesting theory, be interesting to see if annealing the head would harden it and offer some improvement.

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How long is my 7M going to last? Fri, 22 July 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lumpy wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 17:32

Sean (MS-75) wrote a good post about the alloy used in 7m heads and the possibilty of it softening under heat (such as when the head is cooked the first time) leading to repeated failures of HG's. It's an interesting theory, be interesting to see if annealing the head would harden it and offer some improvement.

a mate of mine (IJ) has had several 7m heads tested all come back as grade 0 (soft as) on the exhaust side Sad he went and got a new casting from toyota!

anyway try here! http://www.deathclock.com/
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: How long is my 7M going to last? Fri, 22 July 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah yes that is so fucking true about alloy heads once they've overheated!! the alloy becomes too soft. I have seen the effects of this just recently with a mercedes diesel! fan clipped the bottom radiator hose, lost all the coolant over heated big time! Head was bent like a banana, machine shop had a test tool for determining if the metal was too soft, and it was just under the threshold (no good), Regardless we put the head back on the motor (machined flat again) And once the engine got to operating temp and put under abit of load, the head would warp in no time ruining the new headgasket, and letting coolant and exuast move to nearby cylinders,
disaster! but we did not care too much as we had another engine.

So i'd be weary about using a head that's been a victim of a BHG (or more to the point overheated.)
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: How long is my 7M going to last? Fri, 22 July 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh ok

well im glad the 7m in my ma70 has a ex mx83 head not done that many kms!
menace
Regular

June 2005
Re: How long is my 7M going to last? Sat, 23 July 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I personally think that if you use ARP Head Bolts (72 lb i think) and a metal headgasket the issue won't happen again.

Other things are to use Toyota Coolent (Red Stuff) and regular maintenance of the coolent system.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: How long is my 7M going to last? Sat, 23 July 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i rebuilt the thing 18km ago with std bolts torqued down to 73ftlbs and they didnt loose tension after 10,000km.

MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: How long is my 7M going to last? Sun, 24 July 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was told that apart of the problem is that the 7m's block are bored.
or something like that
pls correct me if im wrong
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: How long is my 7M going to last? Sun, 24 July 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MX73_drifter wrote on Sun, 24 July 2005 14:11

i was told that apart of the problem is that the 7m's block are bored.
or something like that
pls correct me if im wrong

youd be referring to the very tight gaps between bores and water jackets.
MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: How long is my 7M going to last? Sun, 24 July 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

yeh thats what i was reffering to
my mate said something i thought was quite stupid (i didn't tell him he's dumb) but yea he said 5mge's and 7m's use the same block. he said the 7m is just a 5mge block bored to 3litres.
is this true
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: How long is my 7M going to last? Sun, 24 July 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MX73_drifter wrote on Sun, 24 July 2005 16:58

Quote:

yeh thats what i was reffering to
my mate said something i thought was quite stupid (i didn't tell him he's dumb) but yea he said 5mge's and 7m's use the same block. he said the 7m is just a 5mge block bored to 3litres.
is this true

theres lots of "m" motors

m, 2m, 4m, 5m3, 5mge, 6mge, 7mge, 7mgte.

They are all based on the same block just the same as fords 4.0L motors are all based off the 250x flow block.

boring and stroking was the difference
MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: How long is my 7M going to last? Sun, 24 July 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx so they use the same block just bored out
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: How long is my 7M going to last? Sun, 24 July 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I doubt it, While the blocks would be simular they are not the same blocks simply bored out etc. Many changes and improvements would of taken place with every new generation of the M series. (and every other family of engine for that matter.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How long is my 7M going to last? Sun, 24 July 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Likewise the Ford blocks - there have been many changes since 1963, even though they do still use the same bore spacing today.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: How long is my 7M going to last? Mon, 25 July 2005 07:06 Go to previous message
a 7M is a STROKED 5M, not a bored 5M
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:chaser radiator
Next Topic:2jz-gte aristo swap into an s13... :P
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 18:08:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053420066833496 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.