Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Spark in fuel tank possible?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Xinx
Regular

December 2003
Spark in fuel tank possible? Fri, 22 July 2005 03:56 Go to next message
I was thinking about an in tank fuel pump setup that people use when doing efi conversion. The question is, is it safe?

I know millions of modern car have this setup from the factory, but it just make me feel nervous at the thought having wires with electricity running through it hanging inside a tank full of petrol. I must admit that my knowledge of electricity is somewhat limited, is it possible to have a spark for whatever reason in a fuel tank and cause the whole setup to go KA-BOOM.

That is why I am considering the idea of external fuel pump instead, that way the only thing inside the tank is the fuel pickup with filter on the end. Also is the original steel fuel pipe ok to use in a sprinter 4age conversion.

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Spark in fuel tank possible? Fri, 22 July 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could set up a spark plug inside a fuel tank and nothing would happen. Combustion requires fuel and air, and in the case of petrol the fuel:air ratio must in in a very specific window or nothing will happen. There is little or no air inside a fuel tank (just liquid fuel and gaseous fuel vapour) so no chance of combustion. You couldn't even light a match inside there.
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Spark in fuel tank possible? Fri, 22 July 2005 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
exactly, that is why some fuel pumps are not sealed against the petrol, it runs inside the motor. it cant burn/explode because there is no air.
Xinx
Regular

December 2003
Re: Spark in fuel tank possible? Fri, 22 July 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

There is little or no air inside a fuel tank (just liquid fuel and gaseous fuel vapour) so no chance of combustion.

I was thinking something along that line as well, so how about if I forgot to put the fuel cap back on when I fill up the car, would there be enough air fuel to ignite?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Spark in fuel tank possible? Fri, 22 July 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just outside the filler, maybe. Inside the tank, no.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Spark in fuel tank possible? Fri, 22 July 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Inside the fuel tank is like a pressurised chamber, which the gas is let out instantaneously if you've run your car, shut it off at a fuel station (for example), and opened the filler cap. Dump in the fuel amongst the fuel pump, sender and all associated gauge wires, etc. which reside inside of most modern car's fuel tanks, and when you put the fuel cap back on and start the car, it takes no time at all for it to re-pressurise.
Blackers
Regular

October 2004
Re: Spark in fuel tank possible? Fri, 22 July 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have just put a pump in a standard sprinter tank, I cut the top out of a damaged Pintara tank and welded it in the sprinter one along with an internal surge/swirl pot. PM me and I'll send you the pics. I have also upgraded the fuel line to 8mm (6mm standard) to prevent any flow issues, use the old 6mm line as your return to tank line. I have done the internal pump as I had huge fuel surge issues with anything less than 1/3rd of a tank with the externally mounted fuel pump.
Cheers
Mark
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: Spark in fuel tank possible? Sat, 23 July 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blackers: How did you prepare the tank to weld in the pintara top. What precautions did you take while cutting and welding and what type of welding did you use (ie arc, mig, tig).
Basically I want to know how you welded the tank without it going BOOM.

Also if you could send some pics to bradw@swiftdsl.com.au that would be great.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Spark in fuel tank possible? Sat, 23 July 2005 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to degas a tank you can run a hose{large diameter} from the exhaust of a car into the filler or pump opening of the tank you have taken out.let the car idle for half hour or so and it will degas the tank.
mick
Blackers
Regular

October 2004
Re: Spark in fuel tank possible? Sun, 24 July 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To weld the tank you need to degas it, there are 2 ways to do this
1; take it to a professional, should cost around $100 for a motorbike, more for a car.
2; get a length of flexible tubing that fits over the tailpipe of your car (diesel is best, but any modern standard car with injection is ok, needs to have neutral emmissions, not rich like most modified cars) and stuff it over the tailpipe of the car and into the emptied fuel tank. Start the car and let it idle for 1/2hr, the warmed burnt gases from the exhaust of the car will evaporate any fuel left in the tank and the associated vapours. You can also use nitrogen gas (or any inert gas for that matter) but as they aren't warmed it takes alot longer and costs $$$. Check the tank for gas, I do this by smell after it has sat for a further 1/2 hour. It should smell of exhaust gas and not raw fuel, it may be necessary to repeat the proceedure.
Weld the tank as required but ensure it has a decent vent to atmosphere ie the cap is removed.
Piece of cake really (btw if it all turns pear shaped, I never wrote this and will deny all knowledge of the proceedure) I've done 5-6 tanks like this now. I've had a couple of queries from various people so hope this helps Very Happy
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Spark in fuel tank possible? Sun, 24 July 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you dont need to upgrade the steel fuel lines in a sprinter when going to a 4age, you dont need to upgrade them when going to a ZE or TE either, but it sure doesnt hurt.
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: Spark in fuel tank possible? Sun, 24 July 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info guys and thanks to Blackers for the pic.

Much appreciated Very Happy
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Spark in fuel tank possible? Sun, 24 July 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xinx wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 13:56

That is why I am considering the idea of external fuel pump instead, that way the only thing inside the tank is the fuel pickup with filter on the end.

Very well. But pull most external pumps apart and you'll see they work exactly the same way, with fuel running all around the brushes, commutator, etc. - if you have a problem running it INSIDE the tank, I doubt you'll feel much better with it OUTSIDE.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Spark in fuel tank possible? Sun, 24 July 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Idling a car for 30mins isn't the best for the engine Confused Anyway, dealing with explosive situations you are best seeing a pro, unless you are a pro, or don't value yourself.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Spark in fuel tank possible? Mon, 25 July 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An experiment I tried when I was younger proved that point about hte match in the gas tank thing all together.

Picture this:

14 yr old

Bucket

Petrol inside bucket, to about 1/4 full (not a HUGE bucket)

Match

Lights match, drops inside bucket.

No bang, nothing. Hardly even a flame on the top of the petrol.

All that really happened was the top layer of fuel on the miniscus was burning, but not particularly rapidly either..

Petrol is only dangerous when you airate it. IE, spread it all OVER the place to light a bon fire.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Spark in fuel tank possible? Mon, 25 July 2005 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
two ways to do it safe..
exclude the fuel (as mentioned previously) or exclude the air..

for mine i just washed the tank with warm soapy water, and then filled tank to leave minimum air gap at top ... 5L of air is much less likely to explode (esp with such a large opening) than 50+L.... i have heard some ppl fill tanks with sand, but i think thats taking things a litle far Wink
cressida_1jz
Regular

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Spark in fuel tank possible? Mon, 25 July 2005 12:46 Go to previous message
At work we dip them in the chemi-bath(caustic soda) and it strips the paint and gets rid of the fumes in the tank and then we solder them(repair them).

I work in a radiator shop.If u take it to a radiator shop they can chemi-clean it for you for about $40 bucks.It saves it exploding in front of you.You can also solder them up instead of welding.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1g-gte Turbos
Next Topic:Oxygen sensor placement
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 06:27:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059809684753418 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.