Toymods » Tech & Conversions » W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Fri, 22 July 2005 07:26 Go to next message
OK, I thought it would be easier to start a new thread, with a record of serious interest.

I'll summarize the short shifter kit using bullet points Smile This is a PROPER short shifter, not a hack of the original stick Smile
-Increased shifter pivot point length (16mm)
-Spacer block with pins
-Lower shifter bush spacers (so as to retain the correct shifter bush height)
-Option to shorten top of shifter, and add extra thread such that the gear knob will sit at close to the stock height
-4 x longer bolts

You will need to supply (as needed/wanted/required)
-lower pivot shifter bush (white bush) = PN# 33548-31010
-upper shifter pivot bush (green bush) = PN# 33505-35020
-inner rubber shifter boot = PN# 33555-22050

All the consumable parts (such as the bushes and inner shifter rubber boot) can be bought from Toyota Smile

I have a quote for manufacturing costs, so now I need to work out if there is enough interest to cover the costs of the parts required. It looks like the total cost will be about $125 - $150 (this figure is highly dependent on the number of serious people interested, if it's less than 25 the demand probably doesn't exist to warrant me going ahead with production, I'll make a loss/not break even). I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible!

The parts will be 3/4 Axis CNC machined, the spacer (with stainless steel pins) and bush spacers will be from alloy with the pivot extension being made from steel.

Be aware that this short shifter will be a modification to your existing gear shifter and will require you to send your gear shifter (or a spare shifter) to me (or I can send you the parts in kit form with instructions such that you, or a person with the necessary skills can perform the modification). I do not have a supply of shifters such that I can send them on an exchange basis, sorry!

Also, if there is demand for it at a later data it would be possible to get stock length lower pivots produced. This would enable you to convert the shifter back to stock throw. Smile

If you are serious (and I know there are a large number of people that are Smile), post your interest here. Once 10 people are happy to commit (it would be good to work out a deposit, however there is the fact that getting things done by a machinist often isn't the speediest of things Smile) I'll place an order if everyone is happy Smile

I am more than happy to answer any questions anyone has Smile
Remember however, I'm not interested in time wasters, serious people may apply only Smile

for more information you can refer to THIS THREAD. Smile

LIST OF DEFINITE PARTIES
Blackers
draven
negative boost
HyDrA
jeffro RA28 (kit form)
bbaacchhyy
Rallystanza
stradlater
Dirty_Sanchez
Nark
amon

Cheers
Wilbo

[Updated on: Wed, 27 July 2005 12:22]

Send a private message to this user    
Blackers
Regular

October 2004
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Fri, 22 July 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Count me in, I can be contacted via
blackers@warp1.com.au
Anyone else in WA interested please contact me and we can organise to group post/courier. Let me know when you need money and I will get it to you.
Cheers
Mark
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Fri, 22 July 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pick me, pick me, I'm ever so smart (definitly 1 for me)
Rallystanza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Fri, 22 July 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does it cvome with all apropriate bolts...

Jezza
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Fri, 22 July 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh count me in for sure!!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Fri, 22 July 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes please, I will take one!
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Fri, 22 July 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
once i get my W55 i will be in for sure..
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Fri, 22 July 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am definantly in for the parts kit and instructions. Im an apprentice machinist by trade so i mose well do it myself.

If you need to contact me it is best to PM.
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Fri, 22 July 2005 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I'll most probably be keen if it will fit the W50
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Fri, 22 July 2005 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This just went through. click here for short shifter group buy

Maybe they could do another?

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Fri, 22 July 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that one is like 3 times the cost of this one Razz

1 question of curiosity - what is your expected turn-around time from when you get our shifter to when you post it back?
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Fri, 22 July 2005 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rsdeo wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 05:20

This just went through. click here for short shifter group buy

Maybe they could do another?

Jim's shifters look great, like I have said in the past, but the cost is 3->2 times as much as what I'm offering (before overseas postage gets taken into account)...also for the Aus guys there is less hassle with local postage etc. By all means take that route if you want to Smile

Rallystanza wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 18:19

Does it cvome with all apropriate bolts...

Jezza

Yep, the kit will come with the 4 x longer bolts required to install it (I've edited the top thread accordingly)

TheStitt wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 00:50

Yeah I'll most probably be keen if it will fit the W50

There are some very slight differences in comparison to the W5X alloy sticks, one of these is the upper piviot bulb is 3mm larger...this shouldn't effect this kit as long as you supply a W50 shifter to modify. I do have a W50 shifter which I'll take a closer look at for you and see if the (critical) length of the pivot section is the same, from memory it is Smile I'll get back to you on this.

Along the same lines, this modification may indeed fit R154 gearboxes as well. From the information that I have gathered R154 gearsticks are compatible with W5X alloy gearsticks Smile This is also something that I will look into when time permits.

I've updated the leading post, and added a list of people that are defiantly in Smile

Cheers
Wilbo

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Fri, 22 July 2005 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 09:22

that one is like 3 times the cost of this one Razz

1 question of curiosity - what is your expected turn-around time from when you get our shifter to when you post it back?

I was hoping to aim for 7-10 days turn around (i.e. I receive the shifter and you get it back in 7-10 days).

Time will tell if this is achievable however Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Sat, 23 July 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm in for sure !!!!

Cheers

Michael B
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Sat, 23 July 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm interested but have to wait for Bigworm to give me his box which won't be for another month or so. I also need to check the shifter clearance before i can send the shifter off as i've never had a W box in my car before.

How soon are you thinking of doing this? Would this still be available in a few months time?

Eddie.
triggboy
Regular

January 2004
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Sun, 24 July 2005 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm definatley interested, but don't have a shifter at the moment...so if anyone has a cheap one lying around?? Very Happy ..how long do i have to find one? i'll grab the D.I.Y kit if i can't get my hands on one Smile
Rallystanza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Sun, 24 July 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah put me down for one too.

Jeremy
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Sun, 24 July 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If anyone was wondering

Quote:

You will need to supply (as needed)
-rubber upper shifter boots (the inner boot is often in poor condition) = PN# ????-????

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Sun, 24 July 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Big T wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 23:16

I'm interested but have to wait for Bigworm to give me his box which won't be for another month or so. I also need to check the shifter clearance before i can send the shifter off as i've never had a W box in my car before.

How soon are you thinking of doing this? Would this still be available in a few months time?

Eddie.

triggboy wrote on Sun, 24 July 2005 19:37

i'm definatley interested, but don't have a shifter at the moment...so if anyone has a cheap one lying around?? Very Happy ..how long do i have to find one? i'll grab the D.I.Y kit if i can't get my hands on one Smile

If the interest is there initially I will order (at my own expense) extras such that I can offer them until the extra stock runs out...there are too many variables atm to judge when stocks will run out, but I'll try and get enough such that I can supply for a while.

Cheers
Wilbo

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Sun, 24 July 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
negative boost wrote on Sun, 24 July 2005 21:53

If anyone was wondering

Quote:

You will need to supply (as needed)
-rubber upper shifter boots (the inner boot is often in poor condition) = PN# ????-????

Thanks mate, I've updated the top post Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Mon, 25 July 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Count me in. Have been looking for ages.
Email/PM/mobile contactability if required. Just tell me when and I'm in.
Dirty_Sanchez
Regular

January 2004

Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Mon, 25 July 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
count me in as well. i've been wanting something like this for ages now
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Mon, 25 July 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm in!
82MKII
Regular

July 2003
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Mon, 25 July 2005 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Me too!
I'll team up with Blackers to keep the postage costs down.

Good work Wilbo

Peter
82MKII
Regular

July 2003
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Mon, 25 July 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wilbo,
whilst you're busy setting this up, is there any point in getting some new shift bushes machined up (as described here: http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=73917&rid=3063&S=16c3f02143ff533fa1de959 7b2d86e40&pl_view=&start=0#msg_693424)
Most of us are potentially going to have our gearboxes out or in bits and could do this fix at the same time.

Just a suggestion.

Peter
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Mon, 25 July 2005 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude, a short shifter doesn't require you to rip your gearbox apart Razz
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Tue, 26 July 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
82MKII wrote on Mon, 25 July 2005 23:12

Wilbo,
whilst you're busy setting this up, is there any point in getting some new shift bushes machined up (as described here: http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=73917&rid=3063&S=16c3f02143ff533fa1de959 7b2d86e40&pl_view=&start=0#msg_693424)
Most of us are potentially going to have our gearboxes out or in bits and could do this fix at the same time.

Just a suggestion.

Peter

Umm yeah, there is no need at all to remove the gearbox to install this shifter Cool.

The bush that is being referred to in that thread requires the removal of the rear gearbox extension housing (i.e. disassembly of the gearbox, best achieved out of the car), not something I expect most people to do! Very Happy

Cheers
Wilbo
amon
Regular

September 2003
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Tue, 26 July 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes please, 1 for me

Ta Amon Wink
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Wed, 27 July 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK guys, looks like this will go ahead.

I'll start the process of starting the ordering (suspect ordering 20 will work out best at the moment, ad I'll try and sell the others over time) which I suspect will take about a month at least.

I'll update this when I have progress to report Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
turbotoy
Newcomer

May 2003
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Wed, 27 July 2005 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please count me in. I live in the US though?

contact turbotoy@ev1.net

[Updated on: Wed, 27 July 2005 22:59]

stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Thu, 28 July 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could you start a mailing list mate?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Sun, 02 October 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo you sexy man-skank, any further news?
the bus-shift of the w58 just will not do!
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Sun, 02 October 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha, ok chaps. To shorten an already short story, the truth is that I haven't had time to get the ball properly rolling on this.

I have the designs, I have the quotes, but what I am lacking (and will continue to be lacking is time in the forth coming 4-5weeks is time; I have a thesis or sorts due in ~2weeks and am rapping up 5yrs of uni as we speak so I'm sure you can imagine that I'm a little time poor Sad), be assured that this WILL happen though!

Sorry about the very slow progress on this guys, I really will try and sort it out ASAP post uni Smile

I've logged everyone's names that were interested and will be in touch when the time comes for progress.

Cheers
Wilbo

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Sun, 02 October 2005 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bah
thesis should be a secondary concern Razz

good luck with it
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Mon, 24 October 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you going to be manufacturing rubber boots to sit on top of the spacer block, or is the intention for it to sit under the stock rubber boots?

FWIW, my short shifter was missing the rubber boot when I bought it, but the whole thing does git under the stock boots.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Tue, 25 October 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 23:11

Are you going to be manufacturing rubber boots to sit on top of the spacer block, or is the intention for it to sit under the stock rubber boots?

If you look at the design of the stock shifter you will notice that the stock shifter sheet metal section responsible for securing the shifter (that the for bolts go through to secure it) extends over the gearbox housing from factory, this provides something for the stock rubber boot to clasp around. This will not change at all.

OK btw guys, thesis has been handed in (Weeeee!); 2 assignments and 3 exams and the end arrives for me, so watch this space in 1-2months.

Cheers
Wilbo
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Tue, 25 October 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=wilbo666 wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 11:21If you look at the design of the stock shifter you will notice that the stock shifter sheet metal section responsible for securing the shifter (that the for bolts go through to secure it) extends over the gearbox housing from factory, this provides something for the stock rubber boot to clasp around. This will not change at all.

OK btw guys, thesis has been handed in (Weeeee!); 2 assignments and 3 exams and the end arrives for me, so watch this space in 1-2months.

Cheers
Wilbo[/quote]

I am quite familiar with the design of the stock shifter. Most aftermarket ones (inluding the jdk one) have a separate rubber boot that sits on the top of the spacer block.

The stock rubber boots are not designed to acommodate a spacer block underneath them, but *just* fit over mine.

Chriph
Regular

May 2002
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Tue, 25 October 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just saw this thread, is it too late to express strong interest? Would definately be keen and have the resources when it's ready to go through so please keep me informed. Chris.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Tue, 25 October 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 11:33

I am quite familiar with the design of the stock shifter. Most aftermarket ones (inluding the jdk one) have a separate rubber boot that sits on the top of the spacer block.

The stock rubber boots are not designed to acommodate a spacer block underneath them, but *just* fit over mine.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but as the picture below shows the spacers has no effect on the stock innermost rubber boot. The rubber boot is not designed to cover completely the spacer, there is no need, the rubber boot prevents oil/grease from coming out of the top of the gearbox and also prevents dirt and corruption from falling into the gaerbox, this function is not effected if the boot does not cover the complete height of the spacer. Does the picture help clear it up it or is more clarification required? Smile

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/Random/Short%20Shifter/W5X%20EPC%20Gearshifter.GIF

Chriph wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 12:17

Just saw this thread, is it too late to express strong interest? Would definately be keen and have the resources when it's ready to go through so please keep me informed. Chris.

It is not too late, I will add you to the list of interested parties and be in contact when things have progressed. Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
ma61_turbo
Regular

June 2002

Re: W5X Short Shifter GROUP BUY POSSIBILITY Sat, 29 October 2005 14:55 Go to previous message
Dunno how the hell I missed this before, but I am in as well...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:20v oil filter
Next Topic:Sc12 Supercharger to 4age bluetop
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:42:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078840255737305 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.