Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Removing Burred Nuts Sat, 23 July 2005 09:19 Go to next message
Anyone have any ideas on removing burred nuts ?
  Send a private message to this user    
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Removing Burred Nuts Sat, 23 July 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WST-039
Bert
Regular

May 2003
Re: Removing Burred Nuts Sat, 23 July 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
use a chiesel and hammer and hit the nut in an anti-clockwise (undo) direction. be sure to get a decent cut into the nut before trying to hit it off.
get what i mean,

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/7466/crappy1td.th.png

this is a real dodgy picture but you can make out what i mean, by hitting the chiesel straight at the angle it is in the picture. it will turn the nut!
urban_myth
Regular

December 2004
Re: Removing Burred Nuts Sat, 23 July 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vice-grips work well also, if u can get a decent grip on it.
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Removing Burred Nuts Sat, 23 July 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats WST-039 ?? Smile Smile

joorsh wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 19:38

WST-039

joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Removing Burred Nuts Sat, 23 July 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
see for yourself:

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=38253&start=120&rid=2962&S=546888c21 4a709ce528f3d1d8caf9dff

It's towards the bottom I believe.
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: Removing Burred Nuts Sat, 23 July 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As long as the nut isn't circular, there is a type of spanner that goes on them, and instead of having the "sharp" corners, they are drilled out a bit, and it makes the "spanner" lock onto the nuts straights sides instead of the corners...
They work well...
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Removing Burred Nuts Sat, 23 July 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cold chisel + hammer or angle grinder is he only way Smile
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Removing Burred Nuts Sat, 23 July 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just "jar" the nut by hitting it with a hammer.
lubricate with bolt-off or similar.
then try the correct spanner or try find a smaller one that will go on
if not, vice grips -
if that fails then go with the bush mechanics style - chisel and hammer Evil or Very Mad

V8_MA61 wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 21:14

bush mechanic you are Razz
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Removing Burred Nuts Sat, 23 July 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brett_celicacoupe wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 21:24

just "jar" the nut by hitting it with a hammer.
lubricate with bolt-off or similar.
then try the correct spanner or try find a smaller one that will go on
if not, vice grips -
if that fails then go with the bush mechanics style - chisel and hammer Evil or Very Mad

bush mechanic you are Razz

u missed the word bogan in the middle of those 2 mate Smile
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Removing Burred Nuts Sat, 23 July 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

cold chisel + hammer or angle grinder is he only way i could fit my V8 to my MA61 Smile

Laughing Laughing
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Removing Burred Nuts Sat, 23 July 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup these work a treat, some kingchrome sockets have this, as do sidchrome spaners.

I had a few bolts that were rounded off and no spanner or socket in my collection could undo them (various cheapos, some good stuff as well) i went and bought a kingchrome socket and it worked a treat!

http://www.kincrome.com.au/peripheraldrive.html

check that out for information

Kyosho wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 21:12

As long as the nut isn't circular, there is a type of spanner that goes on them, and instead of having the "sharp" corners, they are drilled out a bit, and it makes the "spanner" lock onto the nuts straights sides instead of the corners...
They work well...

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Removing Burred Nuts Sat, 23 July 2005 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brett_celicacoupe wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 22:10

cold chisel + hammer or angle grinder is he only way i could fit my V8 to my MA61 Smile

Laughing Laughing

you cheater...i didnt say that! Razz
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Removing Burred Nuts Sat, 23 July 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol
v8xc
Regular

March 2005
Re: Removing Burred Nuts Sat, 23 July 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hammer a spanner or socket on the offending nut Very Happy

Preferably a bit smaller than the nut itself.

[Updated on: Sat, 23 July 2005 13:56]

jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Removing Burred Nuts Sun, 24 July 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon stilsens(spelling, the thing plumbers use) are the way to go. If it is completly round this wont work tho. Or get a bodgy socket and weld a small beed inside it. then bash it on.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Removing Burred Nuts Sun, 24 July 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.metrinch-tools.com/website/images/intro/introverschil.jpg

these fellas work a treat at getting dud bolts out.

http://www.metrinch-tools.com/website/introductie. php

blackwoods stock them.
Blackers
Regular

October 2004
Re: Removing Burred Nuts Sun, 24 July 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heat is very good, a dull red colour is fine. CAT make a very good penetrating oil thats cheap enough ($20 or there abouts) and I personally won't use anything other than 6 point sockets. Try the do up/undo procedure in small amounts too as this has the benefit of cleaning/reforming the thread as it goes. If you are undoing nuts from a long threaded section the the undo/do up is the preferred method, be careful not to use too much force as you can break the stud/bolt. There are a number of dodgy tools that their manufacturers proclaim to be miricle products for this type of thing, most are a crock. Best practice is to use good quality spanners (Sidchrome, Repco, T&E are all good and reasonably priced) in the first place, always use the ring end when possible and be patient. Any lubrication is better than none (I don't care if it's cooking oil, peanut paste or even water) and I have found thru my career (I'm a plant mechanic) it's possible to get 99/100 undone if you have the time/patience.
Cheers
Mark
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Removing Burred Nuts Sun, 24 July 2005 06:27 Go to previous message
Blackers wrote on Sun, 24 July 2005 15:46

There are a number of dodgy tools that their manufacturers proclaim to be miricle products for this type of thing, most are a crock. Best practice is to use good quality spanners (Sidchrome, Repco, T&E are all good and reasonably priced) in the first place, always use the ring end when possible and be patient.

i agree with you entiery that there are lots of dodgy brother style miracle tools. good quality tools are always a winner. ive got the metrinch sockets and i give them a huge thumbs up. nice thing they dont tend to round off the bolts in the first place. one problem with them over a standard double hex is like a single hex you dont have as much flexability in which position you position the socket/spanner. if you already have a good set of tools id recomend a strip of metrich sockets or the kingchrome similar setup.. good value Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Modified 1ggte with 130rwkw..should i be getting more??
Next Topic:Identifying my struts?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 12:06:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060210227966309 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.