Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
best oil Fri, 22 July 2005 05:42 Go to next message
I know this topic has been covered before, but not like this from what i could see. The reason i ask this is the car is now far from std and i really wanna know what people think is the best oil to use with mods. I find since that the bigger turbo has gone on the car uses some oil now so im thinking thicker oil is better then the thinner now but then too thick is not good. So my question is what would you use for a 3sgte internally built and gt35 turbo? i have always liked hpr10 / now using hpr15 but experimenting with full synithic today. and this got me thinking of what would actully be better for the motor. I think the full synthetic will be to thin, but im not much in the know when it comes to oils.
  Send a private message to this user    
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: best oil Fri, 22 July 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I won't discuss brands but you'll actually find a lot of synthetics are 15W/60, 5W/60 etc. so they are in fact thicker than your HPR15.
cressida_1jz
Regular

On Probation

December 2004
Re: best oil Fri, 22 July 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use HPR15 in my 1JZ Cressida and dont find nothing wrong with it.I used Mobil 1 once and it went black in under 1000kms and was blowing smoke when u take off after idling for 5 min.It doesnt do it with HPR15.

Full synthetic oils are good to use from day 1.Not for motors that have done over 50000kms,Well thats what my mechanic told me.
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: best oil Fri, 22 July 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use Castroll R 5-15w (for fast fours) about 60 bucks a bottle i think
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: best oil Fri, 22 July 2005 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
best oil is one that stays clean and doesn't burn...

the hot viscosity of any of the 50 weight oils will be the same at operating temp.. i did find that mobil 1 5W50 idn't like being wayy overheated, and did get thinner faster than other oils, but within normal human temp ranges, it was fine.. the 5W is great for when it is cold... oil is at the bearings when you need it etc...

i found mobil 1 to be the most resistant to burning but only out of valvoline, mobil, shell, castrol and penrite products (synth, semi, and mineral).. didn't try many others..

so.. basically... if your oil pressure gauge shows that you are not losing enough pressure to be damaging at idle at operating temp, then the oil is thick enough to keep pressur eup.. that is not a great indicator of how the oil film performs at speed, but it's one way to weed some oils out Wink

my pick would be something between 10W50 and 15W60... the low number depends on temps the weather gets. the hot number depends on how hot your motor gets.. for turbo, thicker is better because it thins out when inside the turbo from the extra heat (perhaps)

go on Toobs, you know you wanna talk brands Wink which would be your pick out of the 10W60 and the 15W50? (10/60 sounds interesting..)
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: best oil Fri, 22 July 2005 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am using Motul atm... fully synthetic. I believe 10w50 but I may be wrong. I think it's called Motul 8100.

It seems to do ok in my car, the oil is fairly clean after a fair few KM.
nightdevil
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2003

Re: best oil Sat, 23 July 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm running Fujitsobu NA FGK SJ5W-40 Racing OIL

U can defnitly feel the difference. U can also get it for turbo

Big Rob
Regular

March 2005
icon13.gif  Re: best oil Sat, 23 July 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get some amsoil TSO-10 SERIES 2000 0W-30. THis is definatly the best! Only $106.70 in AUS, gst inc Sad . I was thinking about it but it is sure damn expensive.
Initial_D
Regular

February 2005
Re: best oil Sat, 23 July 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20VBTSECA wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 23:33

I use Castroll R 5-15w (for fast fours) about 60 bucks a bottle i think

You mean Castrol Formula R 5W/30 (for fast fours) $45 RRP

Cheers
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: best oil Sat, 23 July 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Big Rob wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 20:13

Get some amsoil TSO-10 SERIES 2000 0W-30. THis is definatly the best! Only $106.70 in AUS, gst inc Sad . I was thinking about it but it is sure damn expensive.

What makes you claim that this particular oil is the best for this particular situation? Or is your argument that this oil is simply the best oil for any situation?
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: best oil Sat, 23 July 2005 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm running BI-LO grade $6.00 for 4 ltr oil in my car

(mainly due to the fact i have a leak and dont wanna put good oil witch is only going to leak out)

it seams to run fine really... granted my car isnt a high performance machine. was curious aswell what would be a better oil to stick in (after i fix the leak) just to help with wearing on my engine??
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: best oil Sat, 23 July 2005 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havabeer wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 23:29

(mainly due to the fact i have a leak and dont wanna put good oil witch is only going to leak out)

If you're leaking that much oil for it to be a problem what oil you're putting in the car...fix the leak dude.

My XX used 5w50 Mobil 1, and currently has 10w40 Castrol Magnatec. I've changed it to run it through for 1000km to clean it out. I'll probably go back to Mobil 1 when I've finished. As for staying clean, isn't the reason some oils go dirty real quick because they contain detergents?
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: best oil Sat, 23 July 2005 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Torco syn blend 50 weight.save some money by it by the 18 litre bucket. making sure you warm the car up properly,we use it on the race engines and my road engines.
mick
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: best oil Sun, 24 July 2005 02:16 Go to previous message
Just remember that when you're running 30 weight oils (e.g. 0W/30) you are trading safety and reliability for increased power and fuel economy.

The reason you will get slightly more power and better fuel economy from these oils is because they are so thin, the thinner the oil the less resistance there is on the oil pump etc. the trade off is that the layer of oil covering your bearings will be a lot thinner so if your engine knocks you are more likely to cause damage to bearings.

On a side note most rally, race and drag (incl. top fuel) cars run a 70 weight blend for maximum protection.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE92 4AFC - Find source of leaking coolant
Next Topic:a30 auto - 3 or 4 speed?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:18:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052950382232666 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.