Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
fuel pump stuff Sun, 24 July 2005 05:13 Go to next message
i need to know if you can wire a stock fuel pump to 12V's via a relay. i know that some fuel pumps run 2 voltages to run the pump slower during idle. is it bad to wire one of these pumps directly to 12V's? or will it help improve the air fuel mixtures during boost ect?
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: fuel pump stuff Sun, 24 July 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most pumps will be alright with it... What car/engine/pump?
Blackers
Regular

October 2004
Re: fuel pump stuff Sun, 24 July 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You have an injected car? It will have a pressure regulator on the fuel rail which allows excess fuel to go back to tank. My advice is wire it to 12v and let the fuel pressure regulator do the rest. I believe that most pumps are designed to work this way as the fuel that flows around the motor also keeps it cool
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fuel pump stuff Mon, 25 July 2005 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some factory fuel pumps are wired up in a 2-stage fashion, ie lower voltage when the engine is at low load. This is only done to reduce noise at low speed. Hooking it up to constant 12v will be fine, the only downside will be a little more noise. Smile
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: fuel pump stuff Mon, 25 July 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I could be wrong but I believe it's illegal to hook up a fuel pump straight to the ignition (constant 12 volt). The only way to do it safely and legally is through a circuit open relay. If you crash and the fuel is connected to constant 12 volt it could mean spraying fuel everywhere resulting in fire.

Not to worry though as I have put cars up for roadworthies and passed them with the pump connected to the ignition...
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fuel pump stuff Mon, 25 July 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WTF? No-one is talking about hooking up the pump to the ignition. Rolling Eyes
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: fuel pump stuff Mon, 25 July 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

is it bad to wire one of these pumps directly to 12V's?

Quote:

WTF? No-one is talking about hooking up the pump to the ignition.

My understanding is that he is asking if it's ok to wire the pumps directly to 12 volts. You are right, no one has talked about wiring to the ignition , my mistake.

Regardless, it's best to wire pumps through a relay.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: fuel pump stuff Mon, 25 July 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i was thinking one of those missile switches for the fuel pump lol. The main problem i was having here was the fact that i couldn't find the fuel pump relay (that switches from high to low). But it turns out after tracing wires that i don't have one!!!! and i hadn't wired the opening relay properly (as there is two triggers for it) so thanks for you help but its running how it was meant to not without me doing the dodgy.
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: fuel pump stuff Tue, 26 July 2005 01:03 Go to previous message
The circuit open relay is the one you want to operate the fuel pump, it is the fuel pump relay. Standard deal is that your circuit open relay will operate the pump/s when it cranks over from input from the starter circuit and then once the motor is going the AFM supplies input operating the pump on a high/low feed basis.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Speaker Install Advice Needed - Into Door Skin
Next Topic:G series diffs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 23:28:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047509670257568 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.