Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Opinions? the new popular conversion to do?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Wed, 22 January 2003 04:38 Go to next message
It seems like the world of popular bang for buck engine conversions goes thru phases

first it was 4A-GE in this and that, corollas mainly, its been done to death, then its the 1G celica, followed very closely by the 1JZ cressida, but as far as im concerned theres too many 1G celicas and 1JZ cressidas going around nowa days so what do u guys think will be the new phase in engine conversions?

i reckon maybe the BEAMS 3S-GE into sprinters and celicas,
or perhaps the 2JZ-GTE into early model GS300's.

so who wants to be a pioneer?
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Wed, 22 January 2003 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's really a case of which high-performance engines are available cheaply and can be relatively easily swapped into a low-cost platform. First it was the 4A-GE, then 1G's became available cheaply, then someone woke up to the potential of 1JZ's.

If 2JZ-GTE's and GS300's become cheap in the coming year, I reckon that could end up being the next big thing - I can't see that happening for a while though!
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Wed, 22 January 2003 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I recon the days of the 1UZ are coming about, they're cheap and reliable.

When I finish my converter so that it can be run on aftermarket computers then it'll take off.

It'd be great if the 2JZGTEs do come down in price as they make a great conversion applicant
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Wed, 22 January 2003 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think with the way celicas are going with the 2zz-ge (and the soon to be 2zz-ge corolla), we will see a resurgence of the 3s-gte.... hopefully to some BIG heights
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Wed, 22 January 2003 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clearly 1UZ into anything at the moment. As Norbie said, it is far more dependent upon what high performance donks are readily available, well priced and the presence of a tech base to fall back on.
mrsmart
Regular

October 2002
Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Wed, 22 January 2003 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmmm... 2j cressida
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Wed, 22 January 2003 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes 1g celicas and 1j cressidas are very popular there were at least 5 of each at dyno day

i wreckon pete is right about the 1uz's there is alot of talk about them theses days

2jz cressida ya say, i think Mos is planning to do this conversion
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Wed, 22 January 2003 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Imagine how popular the 1UZ would be if it came in manual Shocked
At the moment the only thing I can see steering people away is the difficulty / cost of converting to manual.

Why Toyota why!!!! Rolling Eyes

Cheers
Wilbo
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Wed, 22 January 2003 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1VZFE (v6) into an early Celica would be a nice place to start. the old quad cam V6 seems to go un-noticed - can be had very very cheaply too
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Wed, 22 January 2003 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1UZ cressidas will be first as they can keep the auto, but I've heard of people putting it into sprinters, MGBs, celicas, crowns, and a few others.

Converting it to manual is a b1tch.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Wed, 22 January 2003 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3sgte into ta/ra early celicas would be my bet - or 1jz/2jz into early supra ..

1uz are good but no manual !!!

EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Thu, 23 January 2003 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmmm... 2j cressida Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Thu, 23 January 2003 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimately, I wanted to do 1UZFE into my car...but the manual conversion just made it that much harder for me to justify $-wise.

Can you imagine a 1UZFE sitting on a new 7500rpm rev limiter with 8-throttle bodies.....*drools* Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Thu, 23 January 2003 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega wrote on Thu, 23 January 2003 01:21

1VZFE (v6) into an early Celica would be a nice place to start. the old quad cam V6 seems to go un-noticed - can be had very very cheaply too

These are a great engine, but they're only available in FWD form which makes any sort of conversion a difficult proposition. Where are you going to get a gearbox that will bolt up? Not to mention difficulties with manifolds etc.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Thu, 23 January 2003 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theres the new V6 hilux out now perhaps in 5-10 years the V6 from that will be a good option
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Thu, 23 January 2003 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 23 January 2003 11:58

Can you imagine a 1UZFE sitting on a new 7500rpm rev limiter with 8-throttle bodies.....*drools* Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I havn't got a rev limiter Very Happy I want to see the 4L hit 8 grand. or MORE! See how it goes.

I want it off the scale on my digi dash! Evil or Very Mad
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Thu, 23 January 2003 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just want to see your car work peter Razz

*imagines 3S-GTE Ke50...... drool*
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Thu, 23 January 2003 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete,
I suggest you don't start hitting 8k with the 1UZ...Whilst it probably wont fly apart, it's longevity wont be helped either! (Remember how much you're putting into getting this thing to work - and believe me I KNOW your frustration! - and I'm sure you'll want to keep the engine in one piece for as long as possible).
I know of one bloke with a MiNes re-mapped ECU who takes his to the new 7,500 rev limit quite regularly, however the consensus is that this is about the (reliable) limit for a 1U without internal mods...

BTW. Mine is rev-limited to between 6,800 - 7,000, which I think is reasonable...Most dynos will show a marked dip in power beyond about 6,200 (a limitation of the "F" cams, more than anything else), so there is not much point going much beyond this.

Just MHO...
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Thu, 23 January 2003 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about a retro upgrade. 3K into soarer anyone?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Fri, 24 January 2003 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I spoke to Jamie about that, and he said to let it rev to 8k (I'd dreamed this too Razz) you'd need some light porting to do it, especially if you were keeping it NA. Very Happy
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Fri, 24 January 2003 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With forced induction it will get higher for sure.

I wonder how high it could go with NOS (with appropriate fueling of course).

Maybe thats what was happening on gone in 60 secconds, the car COULD rev higher when it had that extra boost.

As for breaking a 1uz, it doesn't really matter, spend a grand and get another one!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Fri, 24 January 2003 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, it's all the work getting the first one in that's hard.
replacements are cheap (er)
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Fri, 24 January 2003 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im real keen to see some good 3sgte conversions into the ta22 celicas.
JUZZO
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Fri, 24 January 2003 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3SGTE into AW11 is what I'm interested in at the moment. However I think the 3S in general is due to come into it's own in the conversion stakes. Really it's the only tough lat model Toyota 4 apart from the GZE so there aren't that many better options.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Fri, 24 January 2003 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does anyone know when the production run for the RS200 Altezza started?
AE86
Regular

May 2002

Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Wed, 29 January 2003 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Surely it has to be the ST165 drivetrain into the ST162 and fitting of a 3S-GTE..... *returns cage to the locked position*

I wonder if I could fit said drivetrain and send all the power to the back wheels and boost power to 220kw @ wheels.... mmmmmm sacrelicious
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Wed, 29 January 2003 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sadly I dont fully understand the full details behind the engine conversions(but I'm trying to learn). I am however real keen to either buy a raxx or taxx and put a 3s-gte or 3T-gte in(bugger being auto to manual and fwd engine in a rwd car(buugger..). Being only mechanical enough to tune a carbied engine and do an oil change I'd be hoping for a few favours off mates and paying people to do the work for me, could cost big $$$ but it would be worth it. Cant wait till June(tax return) and the purchase of a my celica Very Happy will be nice to ditch this sv-01 Laughing
1jzmx83
Regular

October 2002
Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Wed, 29 January 2003 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A 2JZGTE into a GS300??
Its called an Aristo and its now able to be imported under SEVS. There was a white '99 in the SMH last weekend for $110k.
If you have a look in any redbook you will discover that the GS300 has the best resale value of any car, except some top end Mercs. This means that I dont think it will be a godd doner car anytime soon.

Just my thoughts. Very Happy
turbokid
Regular

May 2002
Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Thu, 30 January 2003 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aristos's have 2jzge's in them factory dont they. the gte swap shouldnt be to hard, if your willing to do an engine conversion on a car worth that much. Shocked

i reckon the most popular conversion going round is sr20 in to early datsuns and that. sorry if you meant toyota conversions.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Thu, 30 January 2003 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aristos come with GTE's as well....
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions? the new popular conversion to do? Thu, 30 January 2003 04:40 Go to previous message
Yup, my 2JZ-GTE came out of a JZS147 Aristo front cut. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:LXS25 Soarer?
Next Topic:What do they weigh
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 20:23:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0081150531768799 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.