Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Anyone know how to change the transmission oil??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Rattlehead
Regular

May 2002
Anyone know how to change the transmission oil?? Tue, 21 January 2003 05:04 Go to next message
Anyone?

Is it difficult and what do mechanics normally charge for this service?

My tranny is kinda making noises when it is going up a hill and the rpm's are low.

And gear shifts are starting to go weird.
  Send a private message to this user    
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Anyone know how to change the transmission oil?? Wed, 22 January 2003 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's not difficult man... What kinda car is it???

Some have a drain and a filler plug on the gearbox somewhere, while others have a drain plug on the bottom of the gearbox an a dipstick tube in the engine bay where your pour the auto oil down there... The dipstick tube is on some Corollas and Camry's and the like... Other cars usually have the two plugs on the gearbox itself...

All you have to do is to crack the drain plug and then crack and undo the filler plug... Once the filer plug is off, then unscrew the drain plug and drain the tranny oil... Once it's all drained, then do up the drain plug and fill the gearbox with the correct amount of Trans oil and do up the filler plug... Make sure both plugs are tight and not leaking... And there you go...

A mechanic will not charge much for this as it only takes 10 minutes max...

One thing though, try not to get the oil on your hands as it smells really bad...
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Anyone know how to change the transmission oil?? Wed, 22 January 2003 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An oil change usually involves changing the filter as well (I asume it's an auto if the shifts are going wierd) A service is usually around $65-80 and includes oil, filter and adjustment (not something to do yourself)
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Anyone know how to change the transmission oil?? Thu, 23 January 2003 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought the oil, and some other stuff, forget what its called, but helps somehow with synchros i think...

thats why im trying a gearbox oil change...crunches downchanging

is a pump kinda thing necessary to do this?
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Anyone know how to change the transmission oil?? Thu, 23 January 2003 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pump makes it much easier can get them for $20 at auto1

if your gear box oil hasn't been changed for a long time then you will often find gear changes will become a bit smoother, also make note to check the drain plug, they often have a magnet in them to catch metal shavings, if there is only a little bit of shavings like the size of sand on it then thats normal but if you find some big chunks like shavings the size of your nail clippings then your gear box must have had a real thrashing and if it gets worse you may be looking at a gear box rebuild.

but yes like Ben said make sure you can undo the filler plug first, nothing worse then draining oil then finding out you can't refill it due to the filler plug being stuck
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Anyone know how to change the transmission oil?? Thu, 23 January 2003 09:47 Go to previous message
after my conversion I forgot the put g/box oil back in the w58 did about 20k's without oil, not too hard.. ended up putting 2litres in straght in the shifter and it didnt seem to touch the sides(I think it isa 2.6litre g/box)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Intercooler Pipes
Next Topic:What's in the '81 Soarer
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 11:33:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044100284576416 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.