Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
CUSTOM HOOD SCOOP Mon, 25 July 2005 09:03 Go to next message
hi i'm just wondering a couple of things about getting a hood scoop made up

how much (roughly) would it cost get/make a rear facing bonnet scoop for a ST162 and where i could get it done??

or how easy is it to do your self, i got told once about doing it your self but it wasnt all that clear.

and is it really worth doing the car isnt turbo'd but will this help with wear on the engine (ie making it cooler)

thanks for your help

[Updated on: Mon, 25 July 2005 09:03]

Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: CUSTOM HOOD SCOOP Mon, 25 July 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check the legalities of a rear facing scoop first.

I know they are illegal in WA
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: CUSTOM HOOD SCOOP Mon, 25 July 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It'd be about the only illegal car "mod" in WA...
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: CUSTOM HOOD SCOOP Mon, 25 July 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is there a reason why its illegal? its not like small children could fall in it if it is facing back. and does this mean a scoop facing back is illegal and one facing forward isn't or just scoops in general aren't allowed in WA.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: CUSTOM HOOD SCOOP Mon, 25 July 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If a coolant line bursts it can cover the whole windscreen in coolant, thus blocking your view.

And yes, its one of the few illegal mods in WA.
We get raped on rims though.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: CUSTOM HOOD SCOOP Mon, 25 July 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forward facing is perfectly legal over here.
Maximum height of 60mm
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: CUSTOM HOOD SCOOP Mon, 25 July 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are so many different styles of scoops it isnt worth getting one made up. just make sure you not going to get defected for it.less chance getting defected for a rear intake one because the powers to be arnt real bright.so they seem to think a rear facing one is safe, i.e not an impact hazard to pedestrians.but then again you might get a copper that will defect you,as a kid might get sucked into it!lmao
trick is to make it wide and keep it low.
on a side note,please dont say it to a copper that pulls you over or he will drag you over the coals.why do cop's have an illegal gun that has no external safety?how do i know? i let a few of my mates that are coppers and D's shot with my glock before they came in to service, and i asked the same question.if you can grab the gun you can fire it,but with an external safety they have to work it out first.
mick
p.s bit heavy sorry.
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: CUSTOM HOOD SCOOP Mon, 25 July 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This may be a little off the topic but what colour is your bonnet? I'm probably gonna get rid of my bonnet once the front mount goes in.

http://img227.echo.cx/img227/528/celica0kh.jpg

Now i know you want a backward facing scoop so but this at least would save you cutting a hole in your bonnet. What i would like to do is a straight swap with someone with a stock st162 bonnet... just thought id throw that out there...
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: CUSTOM HOOD SCOOP Mon, 25 July 2005 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my bonnet is pretty much brand new monza red (but painting shouldnt be a problem)...but yeah i'm not sure what kinda style of scoop i'm looking for...guess i'd have to check out the rules on it

i would be interested in that bonnet of yours just that i got told that front mount scoops arent the best and can sorta fuck up performance of the car. jsut becuase theres to much air going in and not enough coming out or something... but yeah once i find out the rules i'll get back to you
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: CUSTOM HOOD SCOOP Mon, 25 July 2005 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what if we make a deal about your "stock rims" aswell
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: CUSTOM HOOD SCOOP Tue, 26 July 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: CUSTOM HOOD SCOOP Tue, 26 July 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only reason a front facing scoop can hinder performance etc is if the pressure of the air flow into the scoop is less than the engine bay pressure, then the air will flow backwads, and in that case, it would be more efficient to put on a backward facing scoop. But, if you get your under car skirts (splashguards Razz ) etc set up correctly, all the engine bay air would flow out and under the car, causing a negative pressure in the engine bay realative to the pressure at the face of the scoop.

Front face scoops are really for top mount intercoolers, and "ram" or cold air induction. If your intention is just under bonnet temperature relief, then a rear facing scoop, or some under engine skirting would be better.

As far as the legal issue goes, im not sure, but CAMS doesnt like vents/louvers etc facing backwads (especially on open cockpit cars) because any under bonnet mishap, eg oil, coolant etc, or worse, a fire, will be directed right onto the windscreen/driver.

cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: CUSTOM HOOD SCOOP Tue, 26 July 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havabeer wrote on Tue, 26 July 2005 00:12

what if we make a deal about your "stock rims" aswell

You wanna buy them?
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: CUSTOM HOOD SCOOP Tue, 26 July 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont worry i got confused (noobness i guess) for some reason i thought the rims you had in those pics where the ones you where selling....

my bad nad i already have a stock set of SX rims, hopefully that will change after tax time
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: CUSTOM HOOD SCOOP Tue, 26 July 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much would the front facing scoop hinder my engine?? is it alot ? or should i only worry about it if i dont want it take .03 seconds off the 1/4 mile time

the fastest i really go is 90 - 100k's coz i'm on my p's at the moment
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: CUSTOM HOOD SCOOP Wed, 27 July 2005 02:01 Go to previous message
??
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Supercharged RA40
Next Topic:Quick 4age 20 valve question. Throttle body sizes.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 12:15:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010221004486084 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.