Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Your thoughts - accident Mon, 18 July 2005 12:38 Go to next message
I was driving down a three lane road, middle lane and I see two cars in the middle and right lanes with emergency lights on so I slow from 90 (speed limit) to 70 and change into the left lane.

As I approach I suddenly see the overturned vehicle and the light pole across the road!! I hit the anchors but am way too late and do significant damage to my house mate's car!

I know this is technically my fault for hitting the pole, but do I have any way to go after the guy who took the pole down, he was apparently drink driving (many empties in the car, plus a half finished burbon in cup holder) and did a runner from the scene? If nothing else I would like him to pay as much as possible his drink driving cos if he missed the pole he would have cleaned up one of the oncoming cars, and very lucky the pole didn't hit one of thos on the way down. Stupid prick.

Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Your thoughts - accident Mon, 18 July 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you contact the police?
If you did report this to the police with all the details, you can then report it to your insurance company and they should pay up and chase the owner of the smashed car for the money through their insurance or whatever.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Your thoughts - accident Mon, 18 July 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
House mates car is a 1986 subaru, hence it aint insured.

I can afford the fix, but would like to chase the guy up just to make him pay for being a cock sucking drunk driver!
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Your thoughts - accident Mon, 18 July 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what was the speed limit? it it was in a 60 zone or something then i'd say your pretty screwed, but if it was 90+ you might have a chance. maybe.

chris
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Your thoughts - accident Mon, 18 July 2005 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No insurance at all?
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Your thoughts - accident Mon, 18 July 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well 3rd part property, but I only damages a fucked up light pole anyways! The govt has no intent on claiming any damage against the pole from me. Further more the seem willing to help my case by listing me as a co-claimant against the guy who knocked it over...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Your thoughts - accident Mon, 18 July 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3rd part insurance is fine. The information you provided suggests that the other guy is at fault. If your insurance company sees it this way, they will pay up and chase the other persons insurance company.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Your thoughts - accident Mon, 18 July 2005 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speed limit was 90, so I was on the limit and slowed to well under!

Shane - I'll look into that!
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Your thoughts - accident Mon, 18 July 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cops said technically I could be charged cos I hit a stationary object, but he said that'd be plain tight as I was doing the right thing and he wasn't.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Your thoughts - accident Mon, 18 July 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tell the cop that technically he could be rapped in the ass with a Toyota hilux diff but it would only happen if he didnt keep his donut eatin mouth shut!
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Your thoughts - accident Mon, 18 July 2005 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah i asked him what the technicalities are he never considered charging me, he want me to go after the drunk drive too, he just wasn't sure which avenue to take. Will talk to my lawyer (a mate) tomorrow Razz good to know a lawyer who doesn't charge!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Your thoughts - accident Mon, 18 July 2005 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Squid wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 22:38

I was driving down a three lane road, middle lane and I see two cars in the middle and right lanes with emergency lights on so I slow from 90 (speed limit) to 70 and change into the left lane.

hehheh, maybe next time you see two cars stopped on a 3 lane 90km/hr road... in the middle and right hand lanes... with their HAZARD lights on..

maybe, just maybe, you won't be tempted to overtake them on their left at 70 Wink

HAZARD LIGHTS

lucky you aren't geting charged...
good luck with the money chase!
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Your thoughts - accident Mon, 18 July 2005 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
amen
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Your thoughts - accident Mon, 18 July 2005 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes in hindsight I probably should have slowed down more, but I had expected that the drivers of one of the two vehicles would have alerted me to the fact that there was danger in the unblocked lane, I know the first thing I did when I got out was waved other drivers down. It appeared to be a simple breakdown and I was avoiding adding to the problem by rubber necking and maitaining speed, bad call in hindsight I know.

Yes I am lucky I didn't get charged, but the police ruled it as no fault.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Your thoughts - accident Tue, 19 July 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bugger...

so why did they block the unblocked lanes? or were they all blocked? yar, no points to them for standing around like dumbasses Wink
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Your thoughts - accident Tue, 19 July 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 19 July 2005 12:53

bugger...

so why did they block the unblocked lanes? or were they all blocked? yar, no points to them for standing around like dumbasses Wink

All three were blocked, but they were just standing there watching me. there was actually a 3rd and 4th car just sitting there doing nothing. Admittedly they may have been in shock, but IMHO they should have done something to stop me (and the next 6 cars!!) hitting it! After I pulled over and started waiving people down there were no more collisions with the pole.

but that is life, live and learn, I won't be so complacent around cars with their emergency lights on!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Your thoughts - accident Tue, 19 July 2005 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So have you spoken to the insurance company yet?
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Your thoughts - accident Tue, 19 July 2005 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah he isn't covered, stupid bastard!

But Urban Services are keen to progress against the driver, she said she wouls see if I am covered under their insurance (she thinks so) and then they will go after him.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Your thoughts - accident Tue, 19 July 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just claim it on the other guys insurance company.

If they say its your fault for hitting a stationary object and the cops agree then take whoever owned the pole to small claims court and sue them for damages under the grounds that they did not take appropriate measures to minimise the possibility of someone hitting the pole if it were laying across the road.

There is only really two ways such a court case can go... you win, are awarded damages and on your merry way... you lose on the grounds that it wasn't their fault, it was the guy that hit the pole then you have grounds to go back to the guys insurance company and sue him.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Your thoughts - accident Mon, 25 July 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well turns out the only non panel damage was the control arm rubbing on one of the CV joints/driveshafts. A good whack with a sledgie and kick the panels roughly into place and we are all good! No charge either Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Your thoughts - accident Mon, 25 July 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the drunk driver did a runner then can anyone do anything?
nightdevil
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2003

Re: Your thoughts - accident Mon, 25 July 2005 11:37 Go to previous message
Cool1 wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 23:06

Tell the cop that technically he could be rapped in the ass with a Toyota hilux diff but it would only happen if he didnt keep his donut eatin mouth shut!

HAHAHAHAHAHA funny shit!!!

That would make a good sig!

Squid - Good luck finding this tool

[Updated on: Mon, 25 July 2005 11:40]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:PICK UP LINES!! Thats right...
Next Topic:London attacks...round 2.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 05:47:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006450891494751 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.