Toymods » Tech & Conversions » transmission problems with mz20

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MantisBoy
Occasional Poster

June 2005
icon8.gif  transmission problems with mz20 Mon, 25 July 2005 08:52 Go to next message
hey all,
im having problems with the auto box in my soarer. when i purchased the car i noticed the engine oil was too full. i did an oil change to mobil 1 and the correct oil level and ever since my gearbox has been playing up. it doesnt disengage the torque converter when i come to a halt most of the time. has any body experenced simmilar problems or know what might be going on???
cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: transmission problems with mz20 Mon, 25 July 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how do you mean is doesnt disengage the toque converter. If you are saying your car creeps thats normal. Some cars will do it more that normal because the stall of the converter is never 100% accurate. The average car is set to 800 stall but because of the inaccuracy in the manufacture it may be 50 either way meaning the car will creep on flat ground or it wont.

Is this what you mean?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: transmission problems with mz20 Mon, 25 July 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An engine oil change won't have any effect on the operation of the transmission, they are entirely separate components. Something else must have happened if your car's behaviour has changed.

I concur with the above; it's completely normal for an auto car to want to "creep" when stationary. The torque converter never disengages.
MantisBoy
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: transmission problems with mz20 Mon, 25 July 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I completely agree, i cant understand how changing the oil could affect the gearbox, but that is the only thing i have done. The behaviour of the box is not creep, it happens when im driving and i bring the car to a stop, say like at some lights. The car tries to stall itself. I can usually keep it going by double peddaling. It just feels like something isnt disengaging like it should (i can only assume from my limited knowlege of auto boxes that its the torque converter). THe car never had this problem until i did the oil change, and this is the only thing that i did to it. Bloody perculiar isnt it! Another thing, it was really really bad just after i did it. I topped up the engine oil to make sure it was at the right level and it seemed to ease the problem somewhat. It really has me quite bamboozled.
Cheers
VeeP
Regular

May 2005
Re: transmission problems with mz20 Mon, 25 July 2005 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

could it possibly be some faulty electronics/valves, and in fact the lockup is engaging?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: transmission problems with mz20 Tue, 26 July 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds more like the idle speed is too low. Check your IACV, it's probably full of gunk and needs a good clean.
MantisBoy
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: transmission problems with mz20 Tue, 26 July 2005 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats interesting actually, cause i have notcied the idle is a bit lower than it was before. What is the aicv and where is it located? I asume its in the throttle body or something right?
Cheers for all the help too!!
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: transmission problems with mz20 Tue, 26 July 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You didn't stick heaps thicker oil in there, did you?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: transmission problems with mz20 Tue, 26 July 2005 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id hazzard a guess that the engine is a bit tired and was running thick oil allredy, now you have gone and put Mobil 1 in there its a LOT thinner and its geting past the rings/stem seals ect, so you have probably oiled up a few things, i suggest you run a decent mineral oil (i use valvoline XLD) and just change it more frequently (8000 to 10000km), you may also want to get a few cans of carby cleaner and clean your PCV and idle related parts of the engine as well as maybe new plugs

Allan
MantisBoy
Occasional Poster

June 2005
icon6.gif  Re: transmission problems with mz20 Tue, 26 July 2005 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, this all sounds pretty right to me. It was running just some valvoline mineral oil before, so your right it was probably significantly thicker. I changed the plugs when i did it as well, so if i just switch back and give the carbie a good clean then i spose that would be a step in the right direction. there goes $65 of mobil 1 Sad Also, anyone experianced a reddish buildup on the ceramic part of their plugs? I have looked everywhere for a colour chart to get an idea of what it means, but nobody has a clue.
Cheers
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: transmission problems with mz20 Tue, 26 July 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MantisBoy wrote on Wed, 27 July 2005 08:48

anyone experianced a reddish buildup on the ceramic part of their plugs?

previous owner was runing it on LRP ?

what engine do you have in it BTW ?
MantisBoy
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: transmission problems with mz20 Tue, 26 July 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its the 7mgte engine, 3 litre turbo. Last owner and myself ran it only on premium unleaded. The only thing ive heard is that usually a red plug indicates a fuel additive, like octane boost, injector cleaner or some such. However i didnt put any of these things in the car since i put the new plugs in, yet the plugs are still red... curious eh!
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: transmission problems with mz20 Tue, 26 July 2005 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has anything been done about the head gasket? does it use water?
MantisBoy
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: transmission problems with mz20 Tue, 26 July 2005 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok i dont know anything about the head gasket. The guy i bought it off told me it had a full rebuild, however im starting to suspect that he was spinning me a huge one. All things seem to indicate that the head gasket is a bit iffy. I noticed that once i did the oil change the oil was quite cloudy, indicating either some of the coolant is leaking through the head gasket or some similar. The car does not seem to use coolant at all, so im not sure. If it is leaking through its only a small amount. So yeah, im starting to suspect that i may be up for a new headgasket.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: transmission problems with mz20 Tue, 26 July 2005 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, DEFINTLY go out and order some ARP head studs and a new toyota gasket!

Allan

where any of the plugs VERY clean.. maybe #6?

[Updated on: Tue, 26 July 2005 23:06]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: transmission problems with mz20 Tue, 26 July 2005 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had the same problem in my 1g auto soarer. Adjust the kickdown cable on the auto a bit and see if that helps. Fixed my problem.
MantisBoy
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: transmission problems with mz20 Tue, 26 July 2005 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rigthio, sounds like a plan. Wheres the kickdown cable located? And what places can order in new gaskets for the soarer? Ive tried repco they cant get shit. I found a kit on the net with what looked like good stuff..
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: transmission problems with mz20 Tue, 26 July 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can adjust the kickdown cable where it is attached to the throttle body. What gaskets are you after?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: transmission problems with mz20 Tue, 26 July 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I changed the plugs when i did it as well, so if i just switch back and give the carbie a good clean then i spose that would be a step in the right direction.

Laughing
MantisBoy
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: transmission problems with mz20 Tue, 26 July 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, the head gasket i suppose. If i do that i will probably need to do the intake manifold and exhaust manifold gaskets too, as well as a few little misc ones like injector seals and stuff right?
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

icon10.gif  Re: transmission problems with mz20 Tue, 26 July 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 27 July 2005 09:46

I changed the plugs when i did it as well, so if i just switch back and give the carbie a good clean then i spose that would be a step in the right direction.

Laughing

hehheheh

he probably meant to say "give it a good clean with carbie cleaner" not give the carbie a good clean

at least I hope so, anyway..

the idea of a carburetted 7M is just odd! LOL
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: transmission problems with mz20 Tue, 26 July 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well we can assume he ment carby cleaner on the throttle body Razz

repco can get you most of the gaskets... just use a genuine toyota head gasket
MantisBoy
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: transmission problems with mz20 Tue, 26 July 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes well, my bad. I meant clean the "throttle cleaner" with "carbie Body" obviously.... Laughing
Anyhoo, cheers for the help guys. Ill grab a new gasket i think and give her a bit of maintenance. I assume doing the gasket is gonna be an asshole of a job though, but what the hey, i got a manual Razz

Cheers again!
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: transmission problems with mz20 Wed, 27 July 2005 00:44 Go to previous message
MantisBoy wrote on Wed, 27 July 2005 09:53

yes well, my bad. I meant clean the "throttle cleaner" with "carbie Body" obviously.... Laughing
Anyhoo, cheers for the help guys. Ill grab a new gasket i think and give her a bit of maintenance. I assume doing the gasket is gonna be an asshole of a job though, but what the hey, i got a manual Razz

Cheers again!

nah thats easy its the oil drain and feed line that is a bitch! i suggest you replace that with a flexable hose kit from one of the supra performance online stores or get one made.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1ggze base map, suit wolf/microtech, anyone got access to one?
Next Topic:wiring up fuel pump
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 14:07:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056028366088867 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.