Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Any mythbusters out there?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
granmra40
Occasional Poster

August 2004
icon5.gif  Any mythbusters out there? Tue, 11 January 2005 09:55 Go to next message
The Hiclone thing came up in conversation today. I don't know whether they work or even whether the theory is sound. I searched it seems the last mention here was mid 2002. Any experience with them? Any opinion?
  Send a private message to this user    
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Tue, 11 January 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
apparently they do work, by spiraling the air into the exhaust or some shit. Mate is getting one put in on his mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust. Apparantly it claims to give up to 6kW Very Happy
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Tue, 11 January 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello, my name is Achmed jihad and I recently inherited US$100,000,000,000. Due to the civil war in my country of Nigeria, I am looking for a foreign investor to help me transfer the money to so I can then more easily leave my country for a better place to live. I will give 20% of the funds to whomever helps me with my situation. Please contact me at i@beleiveanycrap.com.ng.

[Updated on: Tue, 11 January 2005 10:22]

Azza
Regular

December 2004
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Tue, 11 January 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can transfer it into my account. Razz
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Any mythbusters out there? Tue, 11 January 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can transfer it to me too. But only if you promise to invest in my Hiclone mfct plant. We are tooled up to produce 20 million per day to meet the expected demand. They will be available in a variety of models including fully sik and hectik models.
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Tue, 11 January 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

optional hiclone sticker kit for an extra 3kw
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Tue, 11 January 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

it seems money is better spent on known performance
upgrades...

i saw this hiclone thingy too, i love tech stuff
so yeah i checked it out too and the theory seems
sound, well flow is an under rated mod - mandrel
bent, pulse tuning, manifold design, dump pipes, high
flow... etc

but all in all its a waste of money for wat power u get
lol if any at all, im guessing it saves on fuel a bit
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Tue, 11 January 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speaking of Myth Busters, did anyone watach a similarily name show on SBS last night?

First thing I saw was they were questioning how effective it was to strap rockets onto cars, so they set up some chev(or other random american car), straped 3 rockets on the top of it and generated something crazy like 5000 pounds of thrust. They made the car remote control too, was pretty cool.

Other thing they tested was whether having 6 packets of pop rocks(similar to that Wonka stuff that crackles when you put it in your mouth) mixed with 6 cans of a carbonated soft drink would generate enough gas to make your stomach rupture....this was a little interested to watch as they used a pigs stomach as a test subject. Turns out pop rocks and coke do bugger all, but a few litres of coke mixed with baking soda does the trick nicely.

Wierd show, kinda interesting.

Sorry that was completely off topic Smile
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Tue, 11 January 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how about this strap on rocket lol
heard it a few times might be true

The Arizona Highway Patrol came upon a pile of smoldering metal embedded into the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The wreckage resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it was a car. The type of car was unidentifiable at the scene. The lab finally figured out what it was and what had happened.

It seems that a guy had somehow obtained a JATO unit (Jet Assisted Take Off-actually a solid fuel rocket) that is used to give heavy military transport planes an extra "push" for taking off from short airfields. He had driven his Chevy Impala out into the desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. Then he attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, got up some speed and fired off the JATO!

The facts as best could be determined are that the operator of the 1967 Impala hit JATO ignition at a distance of approximately 3.0 miles from the crash site. This was established by the prominent scorched and melted asphalt at that location. The JATO, if operating properly, would have reached maximum thrust within 5 seconds, causing the Chevy to reach speeds well in excess of 350 mph and continuing at full power for an additional 20-25 seconds. The driver, soon to be pilot, most likely would have experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners, basically causing him to become insignificant for the remainder of the event. However, the automobile remained on the straight highway for about 2.5 miles (15-20)seconds before the driver applied and completely melted the brakes, blowing the tires and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface, then becoming airborne for an additional 1.4 miles and impacting the cliff face at a height of 125 feet leaving a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recoverable; however, small fragments of bone, teeth and hair were extracted from the crater and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Tue, 11 January 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That was the exact myth they were trying to prove was possible, and from what I saw it definately was. 3 JATO's and the thing outran a chopper going full tilt, was impressive. I shoulda taped it.
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: Any mythbusters out there? Tue, 11 January 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nono, its a myth, too Razz
M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Any mythbusters out there? Wed, 12 January 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alchemist wrote on Tue, 11 January 2005 23:43

That was the exact myth they were trying to prove was possible, and from what I saw it definately was. 3 JATO's and the thing outran a chopper going full tilt, was impressive. I shoulda taped it.

They weren't JATO's they used but some other thing.
One JATO has 1000 pounds of thrust while the other one they used had 1500 pounds of thrust each.
Oh and 1 pound of thrust is supposed to be the same as 2hp.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Wed, 12 January 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.snopes.com/autos/dream/jato.asp
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Wed, 12 January 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Those R44 choppers are slow anyways... it was probably only doing about 130-140mph
granmra40
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Fri, 14 January 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Still interested in experience/opinion of whether Hiclone works.

Yes, mythbusters can be an interesting show but took thread off topic.

And Apollo WTF were you smokin'? Confused Hardly worthy of The Outhouse. Razz
lowrlux
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Fri, 14 January 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't the rocket car into a cliff the 'myth' that is supposedly the inspiration for the Darwin Awards. The award granted for services to humanity by removing yourself from the gene pool. Or funny ways stupid people die. Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Fri, 14 January 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the car only got up to 140mph after the three rockets were used whereas in the myth the speed was said to be 340mph after just one jato. They ahd three. Although they only used one rocket at a time. Wouldn't be better to say fire one then the next two at the same time, cos one rocket on its owns will eventually reach a point where its fore can no longer over power wind resistance where as two could just my .02 cents, they also did the pop rocks thing and proved that to be wrong. Was funny cos later that night urban legends was on and they did the pop rocks thing too.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Fri, 14 January 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
granmra40 wrote on Fri, 14 January 2005 10:30

And Apollo WTF were you smokin'? Confused Hardly worthy of The Outhouse. Razz

My point is it's a load of shit.

Spiralling air? It's all going in one direction, straight for the throttle body. And how the fuck does it:

"better atomises the fuel into the air, exposes more fuel and oxygen to the spark plug firing plane and brings about better flame propagation resulting in more power and more mileage." Confused

...after the air is sucked past the throttle body butterfly (swirl is lost here), and then down past the injectors where the fuel is then squirted and then past the valves into the cylinder chamber? It might have some merit with a carb, but I fail to see it doing jack shit all with EFI.

It's best to get the obstacles out of the way instead of introducing them.

And for the cost of it, fuck me. I'd rather put an eram in.
granmra40
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Fri, 14 January 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Right Appollo I did not even get as far as the fake link in your post so I missed the connection. Thanks for your view.
Big Don
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Tue, 26 July 2005 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've looked into the Hiclone a couple of times,Mr Shin laughed at me when I spoke to him about it, saying that there is mixed theories out there, I also spoke to my high-school physics teacher.

Fuel is only usefull in vapor form, therefore anything that you inject into the combustion-chamber must evaporate before it can be burned. The theory of a Hi-clone is that the spiralling air will cause a slight vacuum in the centre of the intake hose, while causing the air nearest to the outside of the intake hose to move quicker (have I lost you yet?)

Essentially, same volume of air is forced through a smaller gap increasing it's speed, combine this with the vacume caused by the spiral action (think of a tornado) vaporizes fuel to a greater extent and will distribute the vapors more evenly inside the cylinder. Thus achieving a more consistent burn and slightly larger burn (more fuel vaporized, therefore more fuel able to burn)

Spiral-max, which claims to move exhaust gases quicker, I can't really see how that works, but there is some merit to the theory of Hi-clones in the Intake. if I ever get the spare money I'll put one on and test the theory.

I have also spoken to my old mechanic who is into 4wd racing, apparently one of his friends got some results from the hi-clone, when attached to his Nissan Patrol.

This is just my understanding of the situation I'm not saying wether or not it works, only stating what I have heard. Good-luck and if you do try it and it works please let me know asap 8<)

Big Don
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Tue, 26 July 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i get so pissed off with rip off _unts. even emailed and rang the guy that imports them from Korea!yes it is made and designed in Korea. he said he is just a salesmen etc etc and goes on what the Koreans gave him.he didnt like what i told him.
ok so it spirals the intake air!well what the fuck does it do when it hits the butterfly!stops spinning. if it worked it would come out on production cars now wouldnt it.but they have chassis dyno figures to prove it works,well it must work then as everyone knows they are accurate,not,now try it on an engine dyno.
then theres the system that heats the fuel!wtf less dense fuel is going to give you better economy.ok drag race etc etc start heating up the fuel.

then there is the injector spacers. some inbred fuck stick thinks he can machine little spacers up and it atomizes the fuel better. might work on a russian designed fuel injection setup from 1930 but on a production car there biggest selling point is fuel effeciency.from doing test on engine dyno's with race engines,i can tell you, you get different power from different injector placement but you talking putting them half way up the runners or outside spraying in, not 5mm from the original placement.

bloody rip off con men!hope you all burn in hell!
lmfao, feel better now!
mick
p.s it may and thats a big may{for the hyclone that is}work on a diesel,as it dosnt have a butterfly but i dont think so.you will find it people that want to save fuel put them on,so they also change there driving habits to save fuel.easy to con dont you think?as they have changed to a more fuel effecient driving style so they would save the same fuel without it.

[Updated on: Tue, 26 July 2005 06:07]

peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Tue, 26 July 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How would they work in a turbo / supercharged engine? Especially one with high boost.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Tue, 26 July 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Big Don wrote on Tue, 26 July 2005 14:40

Essentially, same volume of air is forced through a smaller gap increasing it's speed, combine this with the vacume caused by the spiral action (think of a tornado) vaporizes fuel to a greater extent and will distribute the vapors more evenly inside the cylinder. Thus achieving a more consistent burn and slightly larger burn (more fuel vaporized, therefore more fuel able to burn)

Ah, you've gotta love the pseudo-science sales pitch. Smile

The above sounds nice, but almost every car built in the last 20 years has port injection. In other words, the fuel is injected just before the valves and long after the spiral effect of the hiclone has disappeared. Also, the high pressure fuel system atmosises the fuel far better than a bit of air turbulence ever could.

Somehow they still sell these things though? Oh well, they say there's one born every minute. Wink
Big Don
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Tue, 26 July 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well it does sound a bit to good to be true, one of the main reasons I haven't gone out and bought one yet, but if I ever get a spare coupla hundred I'll try it, or even better I'll see if I can take the "theory" and knock something up to test it. I mean theoretically if you glue a computer Fan solid, it'd do the same trick, all there is to it is some fins to cause air circulation
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Tue, 26 July 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can get a written money-back guarantee, I say go for it. Do some before-and-after dyno testing, and if (I mean when) there's no appreciable gain return the product for a refund!
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Tue, 26 July 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
better still give me the $200 and ill show you how to drive to save fuel.
i was going to say anyone that buys one is an idiot,but there are not,its just that they dont know anything at all about engines etc. even brocky got caught out with the energie polariza or what ever the black box was called,and it cost him dearly.
mick
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Tue, 26 July 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gas follows most of the same principles of physics as liquids and im sure a sizable proportion of us have seen the direct drop compared to swirled bottle method from identicle bottles and amounts and the swirled one produces a higher flow rate
thats where im guessing the extra power, if any, is coming from
three needed items for combustion
1.igniter
2.air
3.fuel
increase one and the burn usually if not already at optimum levels will increase until it reaches optimum levels hence create more power to crudelly put it
so if this works by increasing flow that effectivelly allows more air to flow down a cerian sized pipe in a period of time hence more power
btw the butterfly comment is funnly yet frivolous imho
if its hittign your butterfly then why is it closed durign acceleration ?
as when it hits an open butterfly it will form into multiple smaller vortexes hence increasing the efficency as less space is vacant due to the vacum effect

now fi theres persons out ther with qualifications or practical experience thatt proves otherwise please feel free to correct me otherwise stfu Smile
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Tue, 26 July 2005 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol not a chance.do you have a slide butterfly? when the air hits a full open butterfly, it will create turbulent air,part open it will create even more turbulence.which is not what you want in an atmo intake,hence why every race car on the planet uses bellmouths, and keep everything from start to finish of there intake system smooth{as in bends and transitions).thats why they make slide throttles.
"WHY IS IT CLOSED DURING ACCELERATION?". i could pay out but i wont.get a cardboard tube and a round bisket. now run you finger around the inside of the tube.now put the biscuit like its a full opened butterfly into the tube.now run your finger around the inside of tube again,presto butterfly{bisket}is closed to the round part of the tube{think 3D}.so now you can not run your finger around the inside,hence no spiral of the whole tube.aimed vortexes a good, but the air has to turn between 50-90% and divide into runners after the throttlebody so they dont help in this case.

"now fi theres persons out ther with qualifications or practical experience thatt proves otherwise please feel free to correct me" i am correcting you.
did you buy one? or do you sell them!.

mick
bored
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Sat, 30 July 2005 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4DaDrift wrote on Tue, 26 July 2005 23:03

gas follows most of the same principles of physics as liquids and im sure a sizable proportion of us have seen the direct drop compared to swirled bottle method from identicle bottles and amounts and the swirled one produces a higher flow rate
thats where im guessing the extra power, if any, is coming from

If you are emptying a bottle you need to replace the volume of liquid lost with air (otherwise the pressure in the bottle reduces and stops or slows the flow of the liquid). Swirling lets air and liquid pass in the bottleneck, which is the reason one bottle empties faster than the other.
Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: Any mythbusters out there? Sun, 31 July 2005 00:00 Go to previous message
Apollo wrote on Tue, 11 January 2005 18:21

Hello, my name is Achmed jihad and I recently inherited US$100,000,000,000. Due to the civil war in my country of Nigeria, I am looking for a foreign investor to help me transfer the money to so I can then more easily leave my country for a better place to live. I will give 20% of the funds to whomever helps me with my situation. Please contact me at i@beleiveanycrap.com.ng.

Bastard liar!! I'm in Nigeria at the moment (seriously, sympathy please)and there is no civil war on. We should do business though, you seem to be the most honest I've come across!!

I actually have tested the Hiclone in a 2001 WRX, with Hiclone in place the average 1000m time was 0.4 seconds slower.
Increasing the pressure of your tyres by 4 psi would probably give you a similar gain in performance!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4efte rwd??
Next Topic:Another Yellow soarer exists
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 18:04:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073449611663818 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.