Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
celica 86
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Turbo for ST162 Celica Tue, 26 July 2005 05:39 Go to next message
i've got a front wheel drive 86 celica with a 3SGE engine and i want a turbo. what would be the most cost effective way to do this, should i go and get one of the factory toyota turbos from a 3SG-TE? or got and get a complete engine swap? whats the differecnce between the engines? or would it be better to go and purchase a completely new turbo? also, will the factory ECU/injectors/fuel pump be able to cope with a turbo or would i need to upgrade them? so if anybody is able to shead dome light on the subject for me, it would be really good, or if anyone knows a good toyota workshop in adelaide it would be great if you could let me know. Cheers!

Send a private message to this user    
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Turbo for ST162 Celica Wed, 27 July 2005 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your cheapest and best bet is to go get a half cut with a 3S-GTE in it. this engine was desinged to be turbo'd. you could go spend 4-6 grand on putting a turbo on your 3S-GE but that doesnt mean the internals can cope with the pressure.

a half cut can cost about 2500-4000 and its a straight bolt in job. anyhting with an "S" in the title should bolt in (might need to correct me on that one) so with half cut you pretty much bolt engine in wire it up and your ready to go.

you can probably guy the engine out right for cheaper but alot of the time it doesnt come with things like ECU wireing loom etc...

you'lll probably have to upgrade gearbox aswell to cope with all the extra power you'll be putting out.

either way make sure you have a bit of money lieing around if your going to do the conversion. but theres plenty of other threads that have discused this topic do a search for them first. they'll give you a better idea of what you need
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Turbo for ST162 Celica Wed, 27 July 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is so much information on this topic on this forum it just isn't funny anymore. Do a search buddy, you'll find more than all the information you'll need.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: Turbo for ST162 Celica Wed, 27 July 2005 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in my opinion its not worth all the cost to end up with a tractionless FWD turbo...take the money your saving...sell ur 162...put the cash from it with the money the half cut,rebuild and swap would cost u and just buy a gtfour...in the long run it would cost you less and you would end up with a car thats 10x better...then u could spend the extra cash you wouldve spent on the project on a few mods here and there for the gtfour
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Turbo for ST162 Celica Wed, 27 July 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My "tractionless FWD turbo" weighs about 200kgs less than my mate's GT4, i dare say it has more power at the wheels, it's faster, oh and it has traction!
Just because you have a FWD turbo doesn't mean that for some unknown reason you have no traction. Run an LSD with some 215's and you will definately have traction. I don't have an LSD and i'm only running 205's (for now).
I say if you really like you car, you wanna keep it and you want it to be fast... do it!
I plan on eventually having well over 150fwkw in my car in the next few years.
Good luck.
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Turbo for ST162 Celica Thu, 28 July 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah tractionless.. Rolling Eyes

you really have no idea what your talking about.. you just listening to what others say, until you drive one then you will see.

Most 200sx i've come up against have more traction issues than me, and dare i say i've beaten them Shocked

I'm also using an open diff and 195 14" rims.

In the rain,traction is bad,yes. but what other powerful 2wd cars DONT have issues in the wet??
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Turbo for ST162 Celica Thu, 28 July 2005 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yen mate watch wat u say bout tractionless FWDs as i like the other blokes have turbo FWD celica and i have no probs at all with traction. Smile
(soon u will have all GT2 boys on ya ass lol )
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: Turbo for ST162 Celica Thu, 28 July 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cycleofabuse wrote on Thu, 28 July 2005 09:53

My "tractionless FWD turbo" weighs about 200kgs less than my mate's GT4, i dare say it has more power at the wheels, it's faster, oh and it has traction!
Just because you have a FWD turbo doesn't mean that for some unknown reason you have no traction. Run an LSD with some 215's and you will definately have traction. I don't have an LSD and i'm only running 205's (for now).
I say if you really like you car, you wanna keep it and you want it to be fast... do it!
I plan on eventually having well over 150fwkw in my car in the next few years.
Good luck.

sory aust162 i had a 4th gen sx...it was a world of wheelspin and understeer without a turbo...i can only imagine how much worse it would be with boost...i was contemplating the route of GT2 myself untill i test drove my gtfour...and since then its been never look back...nothing against you boys with the conversion but i personally find the gtfour a much better package all around...and it cost me a HELL of a lot les than what the conversion wouldve cost me. the way i see it is the gtfour was designed with everything to handle the 3sgte (not just driveline but suspension and breaks and a stronger chassis) after owning both a 162 and a 165 ive found most of the smilarities really are only skin deep...

look i dont mean to offend anybody....but its a fact that the gtfour was designed with different applications in mind to the sx
the suspension and breaks are better
the chassis is stronger
the gearbox and clutch are stronger
and the engine is alot stronger...a gtfour is a better car all around than an sx

so if u spend say 4 grand on a front cut,then rebuild the engine because its probably on its last legs anyway...then pay a workshop to do the swap for u...you have just spent what..like 7 grand.(thats without buying a gearbox and a clutch thats up to the 3sgte either).and then u still need to upgrade ur back breaks and suspension to be up to that of a gtfour..and its still only front wheel drive and it cost more to get there..given it is alot lighter and its got the power to weight over the gtfour but why not just keep the 7 grand you would have spent on the engine and the swap...sell the 162 for aroudn 4 k...and buy a 185 instead....no fuck arounds, ur car isnt off the road for ever waiting for all the work to be done.
the only thing i regret about buying my gtfour is the difficulty in finding alot of parts.

i just think the gtfour is more bang for your buck over a gt2...but im probably wrong...but then it depends if you want straight line fun or if you want the handeling of an awd aswell

nothing against anybody or theyre cars...different strokes for different folks...the guy sounded like hes on a bit of a budget..and i was telling him it would be cheaper to just buy a gtfour than it would be to go the conversion in the long run. thats my opinion and what i have found from experience. im sorry if it sounded like i was looking down my nose at the GT2s, after going through 3 3sge's in my sx i can really respect the dedication and work that goes into a swap for a car you love.
sorry to anybody i have offended...i certainly didnt mean to come accross that way.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Turbo for ST162 Celica Thu, 28 July 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol... my car is pushing out a healthy 189fwkw... and its only cost me about 8k... thats everything engine / fuel etc etc etc... so i dont knwo where u rip ur figures from Razz u can do a standard 3sgte conversion for under 4k if u play ur cards right. nothing wrong with fwd if u know how to drive lsd or no lsd of course lsd will be beter but my self dont have one and i have no trouble what soever keeping up if not passing rwd cars from standing starts

in saying a gt4 is beter yes in many ways they are but, its costing you alot more to get the power of a 2 wheel drive car , they weigh more , you have more drivetrain shit to worry about , yes they handle beter noone could possibly dispute that, but personaly i wouldnt trade my 162 for any gt4 unless it was a 205 Razz... i have never came across one that can give me half a run for my money.. not being a big headed wanker lol but u have to do a bit more to get the same result on the road

165 brakes are beter not by much Razz...
and they can be upgraded to 185 for under 200 dollars
suspension should be upgraded anyway
clutch , should be replaced

chassis probly is stronger but ive had no problems

dont mean to be soundin like im pickin at u because u said gt2's arent quite as good as the gt4, but its all different for everyone as u said.

have a good one

[Updated on: Thu, 28 July 2005 07:12]

cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Turbo for ST162 Celica Thu, 28 July 2005 11:15 Go to previous message
A whole heap of good points in the above 2 posts.
It really depends what you want, berad and myself obviously would prefer a gt2 over a gt4 anyday, others would be the opposite.
As far as the sx not being able to handle the extra power, parts can be upgraded, while this may be costly in some cases, you have the potential to make your suspension, clutch etc. better than a gt4. I know my suspension setup is much better than a stock gt4 (king springs lowered 1", KYB shocks and a whiteline rear swaybar). As far as gearbox and clutch go, eventually i may throw in an mr2 box with lsd and a heavy duty clutch, which would be hardcore.
No hard feelings DV, you do have a point, some people just tend to disagree though.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Installing Haltech e6x - 4age
Next Topic:need 18R-GEU info...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 22:23:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067739486694336 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.