Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
1G AFM vs 7M AFM Mon, 25 July 2005 15:52 Go to next message
I been chatting to KiRK with the celica and he has a similar set up as me...he told me that he has replaced his stock AFM with a MX83 Cressida. I am just wondering if anyone else knows if there is a diffrence beetween the 1g AFM and the 7M. From his expirience he said that the his car runs better and has't maxed out the AFM like i do constatly on 14psi.. Does anyone else know more about this??? I know they both plug straight in...but would this work...and increase the airflow and stop the Fuel cut from maxing out the stock 1g one.

If this is true it would solve my pesky fuel cut problem...thx
  Send a private message to this user    
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Mon, 25 July 2005 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure dude, but if it does fit straight in, I know that the 1uzfe AFM fits the 7mgte as well. Raises our 'boost cut' to something ridiculous.
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Mon, 25 July 2005 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's what I been thinking as well.. Since the 7M is a bigger displacement engine then it would technically be able to flow more air...i am very curious if this would work because then I won't need to go stand alone ECU just to get rid of the boost cut...I'll wait and see if anyone else will know more..

When does the 7M AFM max out???
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Mon, 25 July 2005 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 7mgte AFM on a 7mgte maxes out at 11.4psi or something like that. Kinda depressing as thats when it gets up and boogies. No idea as when it would max out on a 1ggte though... Gunna have to let the Toymods gurus answer this one...
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Mon, 25 July 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IF staying with the standard ECU you will also need to icrease the Injector size the same % as you are increasing the flow through the AFM

Effectively tricking the ecu Cool
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Note the 7M-GTE uses a Karman-Vortex airflow meter, as opposed to the flapper-type meter in the 1G series engines, so obviously they're not compatible.

The 7M-GE AFM might work OK if you can figure out how much more flow it has compared to the 1G AFM (if any at all), then install a set of bigger injectors that flow more fuel to match - same as the 7M-GTE 1UZ AFM mod. Keep in mind this sort of thing is a bit bodgy and should be considered a band-aid solution. If your engine management doesn't do what you want it to do, the correct approach is to replace it - not try to fool it with smoke and mirrors.
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is interesting... I didn't even think about changing the injectors when changing the AFM.

Does anyone know what the difference in flow is between the the 7m and 1G or even the 1U and 1G?

Cheers,
Kirk

EDIT ---------------------

I replaced my 1G AFM with what I beleive to be a 7M AFM, when I purchased this AFM it had MX83 scribbled on it in wreckers scrwal and was told it would work on a 1G.

The reason for replacing the AFM was because when you hit higher in the rev range and on 14psi the engine would lose all power (Probablly boost cut). As soon as the larger AFM was installed everything was happy once again.

[Updated on: Tue, 26 July 2005 00:11]

1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hope you have checked your Air/Fuel Ratios

KiRK wrote on Tue, 26 July 2005 10:05

This is interesting... I didn't even think about changing the injectors when changing the AFM.

Does anyone know what the difference in flow is between the the 7m and 1G or even the 1U and 1G?

Cheers,
Kirk

EDIT ---------------------

I replaced my 1G AFM with what I beleive to be a 7M AFM, when I purchased this AFM it had MX83 scribbled on it in wreckers scrwal and was told it would work on a 1G.

The reason for replacing the AFM was because when you hit higher in the rev range and on 14psi the engine would lose all power (Probablly boost cut). As soon as the larger AFM was installed everything was happy once again.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ditto. If you 7M AFM does indeed flow more air, the ECU will think there is less air being consumed than there really is. Yes that will move boost cut to a higher boost level, but it will also cause the engine to go lean throughout the rev range. Needless to say this is bad news.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You would have to retain the 1G electronics in the 7M housing.
And then put in bigger injectors.

Same way the 7M guys use a 1UZ AFM housing, with 7M sensor, and 20% larger injectors (give or take)
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had it on a dyno a few weeks ago and there was no sign of it leaning out...

Hmm something for me to look into Wink
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7m gte injectors are somewhat 35-40% bigger than 1g items if not more, if you did a swap to these injectors when changing afm i would think that the ecu would have a different duty cycle programed into it and then hence the car wouldnt run right by just changing injectors. You can adjust afms to richer or leaner, is it possible that this could be your solution to lean out.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WHEN U SAY 7M AFM DO U MEAN 7MGTE OR 7MGE

as norbie said they are karman type and def wont be compatible with the 1g afm

otherwise if it still works then i have to try it out but will caiuse problema with safc for sure

what were the afr,s when u had it dynoed

[Updated on: Tue, 26 July 2005 03:42]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7MGE dude.
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So i guess this mod is out of the question then...too much mucking around for a band aid approach...just curious how Kirk Pulled it of..thats why i thought i ask before i go and buy an AFM and try it...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have access to a wideband o2 sensor you can borrow for a few days give it a try by all means.
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm just throwing in a wild guess here... but maybe the more aggressive tuning of the gen 3 doubled with the Mines ECU is what is making this effective for me.
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Tue, 26 July 2005 13:42

what were the afr,s when u had it dynoed

At 150rwkw the AFR was around 12... 12.2
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn that still rich so its all good u need a 14 for perfect mix

anyone heard of the vpc thats supposed to elliminate the afm altogeter
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
14:1 is dangerous for full throttle on a turbo dude.

You want to aim for 12-12.5:1 for safety's sake.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, 14:1 is for cruise - at WOT you want to be a lot richer than that.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm didnt know that iil kep that in mind , i was just told that around 14 would be the best afr but now aboviously not under full load

so maybe safc setting should be 14 on idle to before boost lollllll either way iil ahve to see what happns when i fit mine on
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Either way if you running o2 sensor and factory computer at cruise your closed loop will take over and will give you an afr of 14.7
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not if you have the wrong injectors.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 26 July 2005 15:09

Why not? Depends how it does it, essentially I doubt it's smart enough to know anything other than "it's too lean, we need more fuel".
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 26 July 2005 15:15

CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 26 July 2005 15:09

Why not? Depends how it does it, essentially I doubt it's smart enough to know anything other than "it's too lean, we need more fuel".

It would have safety margins in there, limiting how much adjustment it would have.

Lets assume one injector sticks open.
The AFR will skyrocket.
Now the ecu will back off fuel to lower AFR.
Problem is 5 injectors are putting in 'perfect' fuel.
If it backs of enough so the AFR is back to normal, 5 cyls will be lean, one will be uber rich still.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 26 July 2005 15:32

It would have safety margins in there, limiting how much adjustment it would have.

Fair enough, this bit makes sense. I suppose it would depend on just how bit the difference is between the injector size, which from memory is a non-issue for the 1GGTE and 7MGE, which would appear to have the same size injectors.
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do what do u guys reccon...is it do-able on a gen2 1ggte..or its a waste of effort and money...i know i am being cheap buy not going to stand alone...buy i just want to see if there are other solution before shelling out the big bucks...and mucing about...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would assume that *if* the 7M afm was bigger (just like the 1uz/7mgte one) then you'd upgrade the injectors to something in the 350-380 range, with maybe some fuel pressure tweaks.

Someone do it and find out !
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But would the 7mge flow more..since it is bigger displacement engine but non turboed...
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't want to upgrade the injectors...i have no need for that modification...not at the power level i am looking at..Otherwise i might as well get rid of the AFM all together...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BLK1GGTE wrote on Tue, 26 July 2005 15:40

But would the 7mge flow more..since it is bigger displacement engine but non turboed...

Unlikely given it makes less power and has the same size injectors. By all means though, grab a wideband O2 sensor or take it to a dyno and find out Smile
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I might do that...only since it has worked for KirK so maybe it will do the trick for me...i can get one AFM on this forum for 100bucks...+ dyno..
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would wonder how advanced a 1g ecu actually is. Apparenlty there are 2 types of injectors used in a 7mge 1 type is a 2.9 ohm 295cc squiter, now this will work on a gen 1 or 2 1g but a gen 3 runs 13.8 ohm imp on its injectors, so a gen 3 wont interface with these injectors. Apparently there is a high imp 13.8 ohm 315cc squiter from a 7mge, which would be gen 3 friendly but i suppose it all depends on your afm donar car.

[Updated on: Tue, 26 July 2005 07:48]

brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got both, 7MGE and 1GGTE(gen3) AFM's here in front of me.

they are physically identical while looking at them and the parts no.s for the 1GGTE and 7MGE are 197100-3600 and 197100-3630 respectively.

sticking one finger in each at once, pushing down, the 7M AFM has defiately got a more taunt spring controlling the flap.

plugs are identical

be interesting so see if it makes a 1g run super lean
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just making sure here...

So the output side of the AFM is identical?
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Either way your still stuck with an oversized uber ghey afm
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think 'undersized' is what you are looking for.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
photos

$1 for somebody who can tell the difference Wink Rolling Eyes

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/5390/afm00299ah.jpg

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/2778/afm00309go.jpg

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/8804/afm00313ps.jpg
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M's on the left???? did i win a dollar?
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any more takers??

the answer wil be revealed shortly Wink
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll grab the part number of my AFM tomorow... I know it is definately bigger than the 1G item. As I said in a previous post it has MX83 scribbled on it in wreckers scrawl, though it doesn't mean it is one Embarassed

Maybe somebody on here can confirm the part number with something else.

brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that 7M AFM in the pic is off a MX83 cressy

part no. is on the other page
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 26 July 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks a lot for that brett_cellicacoupe...maybe i'll try this after all and see if it works...u want to sell the AFM???

If the spring is tighter maybe it can delay the fuelcut and i can richen it up with the Blitz piggy back i got. Might be worth a shot...thanks for all your input...
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Wed, 27 July 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok the part number I have is...

22250-42080 or 197100-3630 (This is what I beleive to be of an MX83)

My 1GGTE part numbrs are...

22250-70260 or 197100-3651

So if anybody knows what that is off... Let us know.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 July 2005 03:04]

E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Wed, 27 July 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 7M one is the clean one, it also looks like the bypass is functional, not blanked off like the other AFM.

Passage on the right in the first pic, adjuster covered by the small black cap in the second pic.
The bypass my be big enough to just raise the boost cut from 14psi for it to be effective!?!?!
It is a common mod in the BFMR (323 GTX) world to open up the bypass as it can also be used as a fine tuning tool.

My 2c

ps. Do I win that dollar??
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Wed, 27 July 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any more takers??
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: 1G AFM vs 7M AFM Tue, 30 August 2005 08:05 Go to previous message
Well fellow toymoders... I am going to try this mod on Dyno day 10th September....if it works, I'll post the results... This will give me a chance to check my AF Ratio and see if I have raised the AFM max-out point past 14psi...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:My ze is stalling?! help
Next Topic:xA6x vs xX7x and xz1x rear subframes
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 05:32:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0080430507659912 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.