Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
watery stuff in oil catch can Tue, 26 July 2005 10:25 Go to next message
i have a seald oil catch can system goes back to the pod etc... and i was moving some stuff around in the engine bay so i removed the catch can and it felt heavy so i emptied it... and it was about 1/4 full of yellowish looking water with a faint petrol smell to it. i thought hg but how did it get in there but i dont know... the car doesnt use much coolant at all it uses a small amount as i have a hairline crack in the radiator tank. there is no oil visible in the raditor (that doesnt mean its not there) anyone know what it could be and how it got there?
  Send a private message to this user    
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: watery stuff in oil catch can Tue, 26 July 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's water, condensation. quite normal dont worry about it.

thats why you use a catch can, to stop it from going back into the engine.

how long did it take to get this much in there?
cutsGotBoost
Regular

September 2004
Re: watery stuff in oil catch can Tue, 26 July 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can also mean water is gettin in ur engine, depending on the ammount, water is a by-product of combustion, but too much is no good at all, open ur oil filler cap and look underneath, if there is some white slimy stuff then u have either valve or ring problems, if then you test your compresion in all your cylinders and then, put oil in each of your cylinders, if the compression goes up then it means your rings are gone (because the oil gives a temporary better seal) if it stays the same its your valves.
hope this helps
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: watery stuff in oil catch can Tue, 26 July 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shinybluesteel wrote on Tue, 26 July 2005 20:35

it's water, condensation. quite normal dont worry about it.

thats why you use a catch can, to stop it from going back into the engine.

indeed, thats why i dont return mine to the sump as well. Smile
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: watery stuff in oil catch can Tue, 26 July 2005 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the engine being abused by only being run for short periods & never warming up, or owned by an old lady???
idling for 20 IS NOT warming up, and i consider that severe service & abuse, that will need more frequent oil changes.

[Updated on: Tue, 26 July 2005 21:52]

rb30 boy
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: watery stuff in oil catch can Wed, 27 July 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do NOT worry. i have had this in many high hp turbocharged engines. even brand new ones.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: watery stuff in oil catch can Wed, 27 July 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it gets driven hard sometimes not 24/7 never thrash the complete shit out of it... i doubt the valves/rings are worn there is no oily smoke coming out the exhaust and it is not burning oil. im probly going with condensation... probly taken 2 months to get to like 150mls???

and yes it gets warmed up sat there for a few mins then not driven above 3k til it comes to operating temp

[Updated on: Wed, 27 July 2005 04:50]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: watery stuff in oil catch can Wed, 27 July 2005 05:15 Go to previous message
allencr wrote on Wed, 27 July 2005 07:45

is the engine being abused by only being run for short periods & never warming up, or owned by an old lady???
idling for 20 IS NOT warming up, and i consider that severe service & abuse, that will need more frequent oil changes.

you have proof of this or is it just your opinion....

I have allways warmed my car up before i drove it

i did this in my new car a few years ago and after 79000km of thrashing was in tip top nick i suppose running mobil 1 synthetic and changing it every 5000km helped aswell..
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:o-ring and non copper head gasket?
Next Topic:Decent Workshopsin Adelaide
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 14:59:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049371719360352 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.