Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Tial 38mm external gate options?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Tial 38mm external gate options? Wed, 27 July 2005 06:17 Go to next message
Hi all, i'm just working out the last few bits n pieces I need to complete my 3sgte rwd build up.

I've been debating what turbo to run for awhile now and while not the optimum, i'm going to use a greddy/trust td05-16g I have laying around. Could be a bit on the small side (320hp turbo i've heard), but its quite cheap and easy to upgrade it to a 18g compressor wheel down the track.

Anyhow this turbo requires an external wastegate..

What do people think of the tial 38mm gates? They are only around $200 US. Is 38mm large enough?

Cheers
Joel
  Send a private message to this user    
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Tial 38mm external gate options? Wed, 27 July 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
38mm should be plenty. I ran a TIAL on my White GT4 and it performed fine.
rb30 boy
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: Tial 38mm external gate options? Wed, 27 July 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When using a small rear housing the wastegate has do do more work. The reason being it takes less exhaust gas to spin the turbine up to the desired rpm(boost level).Therefore the wastegate needs to bypass a lot of exhaust gas.
Bigger is always better when it comes to wastegates,38mm is a decent size gate but personally id be going for something a little bigger, or using a larger turbo/exhaust housing to begin with

[Updated on: Wed, 27 July 2005 06:24]

JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Tial 38mm external gate options? Wed, 27 July 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is definitely NOT just as simple as 'bigger is better' with an external gate.

Just think what happens on a smaller turbined turbo when all the exhaust gases go straight out a large WG.....you lose all your energy and boost drops off. WG shuts, boost spools up and then WG opens and you lose all boost etc etc etc. A viscious cycle that brings on the worst surging you have ever seen. I ran a 45mm TIAL gate on the GT4 and it surged so bad it nearly bucked the car right off the dyno. I had to do some mods to the WG valve seat to vent the exhaust gases initially in a more controllable fashion.

You are right that at top end gas flow, running unneeded exhaust gas thru the WG instead of the turbine will net you some gains but correct sizing and design is required.

A 38mm gate will be more than enough for your needs Joel and with good design of the WG return pipe it won't hurt your perf at all but will give good amd simple boost control.
rb30 boy
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: Tial 38mm external gate options? Wed, 27 July 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true Smile
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Tial 38mm external gate options? Wed, 27 July 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you can, plumb the waste gate pipe seperate to the turbo dump pipe, as it will give you better boost control.

and use a muffler, screamers sound terrible.

see if you can get hold of maximum boost, it has a fair few good rules of thumb for such things.
rb30 boy
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: Tial 38mm external gate options? Wed, 27 July 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.bestwebbuys.com/Maximum_Boost-ISBN_0837 601606.html?isrc=b-search
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Tial 38mm external gate options? Wed, 27 July 2005 23:17 Go to previous message
Thanks all for ya help as always!

I've got that Max boost book Smile will re-visit it this weekend.

Cheers
Joel
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:celica drag car
Next Topic:1jz map sensor wiring
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 21:03:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050179958343506 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.