Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
18R bottom end vs 18RGU Wed, 27 July 2005 03:09 Go to next message
How similar are the 18R and 18RGU bottom ends?

Is the block, crank, rods, even pistons all the same?

If you had a fresh reco 18R and a worn out complete 18RGU, could you reco the head and bolt it to the 18R bottom end?

(Using the correct 18RGU parts as required and renew any worn bits, gaskets etc of course. )

Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 18R bottom end vs 18RGU Wed, 27 July 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have used an 18R-C block to rebuild an 18R-G, but the dipstick hole is on the other side (easily fixed).

The pistons are very different, but not sure on the crank/rods.

As you would expect, the timing cover needs to be changed over. Norbs is probably your best bet as is Mr DOHC

Cheers

Michael B
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: 18R bottom end vs 18RGU Wed, 27 July 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as above.

The 18rg rods are much chunkier then the stanard 18r ones. U can still use them tho. Crank is the same, u may find some models are forged and some are cast. The std 9.7 CR 18rg pistons are not available from toyota. U would have to get them made especially. The 18r pistons would give u way low comp, some say u use 18r pistons if u want to turbo ur 18rg.
The 18rg also has a slightly different oil pump, although u can use the 18r pump in the 18rg. The difference is the 18rg one is a high volume one.

U will also need a whole different timing chain setup.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 18R bottom end vs 18RGU Wed, 27 July 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as jeffro said

if u blew up your 18RG {melted piston ect}, u could get a 18RC bottom end and convert all the shit over i.e. timing gear/auxshaft/oil pump/head ect ect
but will gve low compression, unless u could get some more pistons
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: 18R bottom end vs 18RGU Thu, 28 July 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys, that's what I needed to know.

Cheers.

barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: 18R bottom end vs 18RGU Thu, 28 July 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey bbaacchhyy what is the approx cost to get the dipstick on the other side. can it be done with the engine together (mius sump to clean away the metal filings)? or does it need to be a bare block?

i used an 18rc crank and block and lower timing chain, gear and guide , 18rg rods, pistons, timing cover, upper timing chain gear (the one at the top of the block) and guides, oil pump, drive shaft, water pump (i don't think this matters greatly other than the pipe that comes out of it but thats a plumbing thing) and an 18rgeu head and associated crp attached to that.

can someone confirm something for me please which is kinda related for the hard to find parts.
is it possible to use the oil drive shaft from an 18rc on the 18rg.
the obvious difference is that it doesn't have the extra length on the front of it for the rg dizzy
but then you could overcome this by running a hei setup off the crank?

Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 18R bottom end vs 18RGU Thu, 28 July 2005 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you could use an 18R oil pump drice shaft, you'd have to remove the spacer between the top housing and the pick-up.
If you're going to do this, you might as well just use an 18R oil pump, cause that's what you'd be making.
What do you mean by hei set off the crank?
The oil pump is driven from the auxilliary shaft.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 18R bottom end vs 18RGU Thu, 28 July 2005 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
barned01 wrote on Thu, 28 July 2005 22:01

hey bbaacchhyy what is the approx cost to get the dipstick on the other side. can it be done with the engine together (mius sump to clean away the metal filings)? or does it need to be a bare block?

If you are careful, do it with the sump removed.

Dip the drill in grease and this will catch 90% of the swarf. Keep removing the drill, clean it and relube it.

I never did it on the other engine, just put up with the pITA
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: 18R bottom end vs 18RGU Fri, 29 July 2005 01:18 Go to previous message
use the 18rg oil pump for extra capacity
use 18rc drive shaft for the oil pump (note this shaft is shorter than a normal 18rg drive shaft) use the 18rg little plug thing that goes in the block at the top and the associated little gear that sits inside the plug.

now because you use an 18rc drive shaft you won't be able to put the little gear on the front of the timing chain gears that runs the distributor.

as such you need another way to spark the engine.
so set up a hall effect Ignition triggering system by using magnets in the crank to get a signal, do you know what i mean???
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2003 Corolla Conquest engine revs query
Next Topic:Looking at an 18r-g on the weekend - what to check?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 08:31:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067691802978516 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.