Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
celica drag car Tue, 26 July 2005 08:12 Go to next message
engine suggestions for a early model celica drag car

old skool V8, 308 or 350 chev and the likes
new skool V8, Gen3 350 or 1uz?
turbo motors, 3SGTE 1JZGTE

am thinking of building something for straight lines only....
may be swayed to a track car in the right application...
what's your thoughts on the above engines or any other suggestions?
  Send a private message to this user    
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: celica drag car Tue, 26 July 2005 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
350 chev for the win.....

There was a rather stock 302 windsor in a ta22 celica that suposedly ran 12's. just imagine wat u can do with a chev.

What have u got in mind for a diff and g-box?
Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: celica drag car Tue, 26 July 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah alot of research will go into this but I'm leaning towards the 350 or lesser 308
as for gearbox, whatever fits !
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: celica drag car Tue, 26 July 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i work with chev V8's everyday. For this purpose i personally think its the best option.

An example of one of the engines we've done is a 1600hp small block chev circuit boat , u may have seen it on speedweek before.

How serious do u want to get? Win races or just have fun?

[Updated on: Tue, 26 July 2005 09:51]

badboybubby
Regular

On Probation

March 2004
Re: celica drag car Tue, 26 July 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

There was a rather stock 302 windsor in a ta22 celica

Yeah it eats everything on the strip massive tunnel mod though only has room for the brake and the accellorator not tubbed either ..what do you have a RA ?
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: celica drag car Tue, 26 July 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does this help

http://www.boostcruising.com/database/journal/files/carlwitt200504042054journalfile2.jpg
Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: celica drag car Tue, 26 July 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drools............

dont have any car at the moment, but am thinking of a 23 or 28 due to the slightly bigger engine bay, or would this really matter with a v8?

Jeffro - what is the weights of a 350 and 308 would you know?
Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: celica drag car Tue, 26 July 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
by the way, does anyone have any information on that ta22 above?
cutsGotBoost
Regular

September 2004
Re: celica drag car Tue, 26 July 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3sgte is always good, or a rotary, in a recent zoom a guy put a 1jzgte in it, massive ammounts of power, 358 kw at the wheels, in a ra23. he had to cut 2 inches out of the fire wall, if i wanted a v8 ide go a 1uz (toyota/lexus) v8, 4 litre quad cams, 4 valves per clyinder, way better, tougher, more economical, then any holden or chev. and u stick with toyota.
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: celica drag car Tue, 26 July 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Snyper- the block and heads we use are alloy so the weight id be giving u isnt a true example of wat a chev with cast iron heads and block would be. Plus i dont know. U could certainly get it light, but a alloy block for a chev isnt cheap, neither is the heads. I do not know the weights of a cast iron 350 or 308. The beuty of the lexus is its lightweight because its alloy.

As far as choosing between v8's. Plain and simple, chevs are chunkier tougher engines and will put up with alot more torture(in my opinion). It will also beat any other v8 in a straight line(in my opinion again).

The photo of the celica above, the car belongs to Tony Muskat from Mackay.

If u want to see a heap more photo's of drag celica's. There are 9 pages on the link, i recomend not even trying to open it of u have got dialup. Its an american site but most of the photo's are from Aus!!!

http://www.classic-celica.com/modules.php?name=For ums&file=viewtopic&t=1642&postdays=0&a mp;a mp;postorder=asc&start=120&sid=fc9b2dc4273 3e58fd8db04c529d3150f

[Updated on: Tue, 26 July 2005 11:38]

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: celica drag car Tue, 26 July 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
308s are utter crap!!

I have a worked 302 windsor in my MA61 (weighing 400kg more than a TA22) and i hope to run low 12s. All pending on getting the power down.

id either go a 302, 351 (windsors if u want to spend big, or clevos if budget is an issue)
or a late model 350 chev.

If theyd interest you i have some serious clevo bits for sale.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: celica drag car Tue, 26 July 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cutsGotBoost wrote on Tue, 26 July 2005 21:00

3sgte is always good, or a rotary, in a recent zoom a guy put a 1jzgte in it, massive ammounts of power, 358 kw at the wheels, in a ra23. he had to cut 2 inches out of the fire wall, if i wanted a v8 ide go a 1uz (toyota/lexus) v8, 4 litre quad cams, 4 valves per clyinder, way better, tougher, more economical, then any holden or chev. and u stick with toyota.

the v8 would shit on that 1jz due to lag. anfd the lexus v8s are too expensive to get power from. $3000 for cams, then look at the forced induction.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: celica drag car Tue, 26 July 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to emphasis that fact my dad has a 351 LT1 in his 2.2 tonne Jag, which i suspect would have at least 400hp. It beats my neighbours Ford Te50.

Notice the significant weight advantage the te50 has?

The conversion including wiring etc owes him 5k. was from a Z28 camaro 1/2 cut INSTANT power.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: celica drag car Tue, 26 July 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Much as I hate to say it, an old-school V8 or a turbo 13B is the way to go for straight-line thrills, simply because it's been done a thousand times before and it's a proven package. Why must you butcher a classic Toyota though? Get an old Corona or something and hack that up, they're lighter anyway.
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: celica drag car Tue, 26 July 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 26 July 2005 22:07

Why must you butcher a classic Toyota though? Get an old Corona or something and hack that up, they're lighter anyway.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: celica drag car Tue, 26 July 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll always start the 'Jap Crap vs. Iron Garbage' debate. Thing is, there ARE so many ways to do what you want, and each has good and bad points. I guess a good thing to do would be to tell us what sort of money you can spend, and what sort of times you expect to run, so at least everyone can try and suggest what they think is the go.
TurboRG
Regular

June 2002
Re: celica drag car Tue, 26 July 2005 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here one being built now.
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=62809&start=0&rid=566&S=a754e83ad79a ad96a3927a63452030ea
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: celica drag car Tue, 26 July 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check out my avatar,

Its from the front cover of All states drag racing mag June 22nd 1984 Surprised

308 making 400hp

do it!
Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: celica drag car Wed, 27 July 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you have the magazine?
is it possible for you to photocopy the pages on it ? looking for any info

ok, have discovered that the dizzy is on the front of a "ford" v8, and on the rear on the 350, which may be a problem with firewall etc, where is it on a 308?
as for budget, I'll be doing most things myself, will spend f**k all on the purchase of car, strip it up and paint it, spend a bit on the engine and driveline, depending what fits.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: celica drag car Wed, 27 July 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
308s have their dizzy right at the block so it would be up against the firewall. in a car not designed for it, it can pose a serious fire hazard not to mention shorting out.

If ta22s have a front sump, the 302 and 352 windsors will go directly in (obviously with some modifications) My 302 into my ma61 only required some butchering of the xmember which is now fixed with a brade ive made. also needed to trim a pissant bit off the sump. I made the engine mounts and it bolts straight in.

I seriously doubt it was any harder than a 1jz convo wouldve been.

if you need to know any further info about ford v8s, i have endless amounts.
Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: celica drag car Wed, 27 July 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry I'm more of a holden boy but... I'm open to options still...

does anyone know where the sump is on a holden 253 or 308?
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: celica drag car Wed, 27 July 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Snyper, the dizzy on the chev is at the back(which means it goes faster). iirc it should not bother the firewall. I can check for this tomorow tho. A little bashing of the firewall with a rubber mallet may help.

I can also check for the sump position of the 308., u can always use a ta23 or a ra28 x member to compensate.

As asked before, do u intend on wining races? or just out there to have fun?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: celica drag car Wed, 27 July 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, you need to tell us how much $$$ approximately and what sort of times you are hoping for. You should also research what classes are available for differernt configurations.
Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: celica drag car Wed, 27 July 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
out there for fun really, and to be different, aiming for 12's maybe 11's

after a bit of looking round it looks like I might start out with a mild 253 to get things started, then can always put in a 308 on the same mounts etc.
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: celica drag car Wed, 27 July 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

If it were me, i would choose the goods to start with so that i didnt have to go buying a larger engine. A base engine that will perform solidly from stock and will respond best to any $$$(depending on wat it be spent on).
But its not me so i cant decide.

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: celica drag car Wed, 27 July 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you may as well put a 7mge non turbo in there instead of a 253, the 7m would have more power!

u do realise holden IS chev?

shame you're not in brissie, so i could show you what real v8s go like Wink
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: celica drag car Wed, 27 July 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are only after 11's, any of those engines will do it. So it is just personal preference.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: celica drag car Wed, 27 July 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, you can probably buy an off-the-shelf package that will get you into the 11's, just weld up your engine mounts and you're away.

Note that there's a lot more to running an 11 than just power though. You'll need a bullet-proof drivetrain and well set up suspension, otherwise you'll run a 13 with lots of wheelspin and/or break something every other race.
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: celica drag car Wed, 27 July 2005 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
put a v8 in it.

leave the 1j's to people who are running 10's.

runs and ducks for cover Razz
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: celica drag car Wed, 27 July 2005 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1JZ.747 wrote on Thu, 28 July 2005 09:05

put a v8 in it.

leave the 1j's to people who are running 10's.

runs and ducks for cover Razz

All 2 of you! Very Happy
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: celica drag car Wed, 27 July 2005 23:24 Go to previous message
seriously now.

work out what class you want to run in and look at what the rules are. lexus v8's are will vastly restrict your class options. v8 will rule you out of sport compact all together.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Wheel size ae92
Next Topic:Tial 38mm external gate options?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 20:10:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058698654174805 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.