Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » te71/72 axles different??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cooter
Regular

October 2004
te71/72 axles different?? Wed, 27 July 2005 11:45 Go to next message
hey guys i snapped an axle in my te71 on the weekend and after going to put a new one in my spares are different. the diff in the te71 is a jap T series disk brake diff and the diff ive gotten my spare axles from is an aus t18 T series.

now to start the bearings arent as wide on the t18 axles. the te71 bearins are 45mm thick and the t18 ones are only 17mm thick.

then theres the plates that hold the axle in the diff. they have a much different arrangement of holes for the bolts to go into. on the t18 ones the bolts are equall on 2 sides each (like a rectangle) but on the te71 diff the holes are only equal on the left and right sides. the top and bottom are un even.

also both sets of bearings are 72.1mm but the t18 ones dont fit snugly in the diff for some reason. is the bearing seat tapered in the diff or something and so not letting the shorter bearing go all the way in?

please help with this guys cause im real confuzled. i thought they would be the same because i doubt the te71 diff is a later model ae86 diff. it could be possible but cause when i went to put a new tailshaft in i found that i had a ae86 t50 gearbox with the bigger output shaft than the te71/72 t50. so maybe the guy before me put a kouki in.

i have posted some piks so you guys know understamd my babbling.

if someone has an axle that will fit my diff requirements please let me know. im very desperate to get it back on the road now after some encouraging words from jesse. haha cheers jesse.

cheers
craig

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/5497/mvc015s7wj.th.jpg

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/2693/mvc016s4py.th.jpg

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/5371/mvc017s4jw.th.jpg

[Updated on: Wed, 27 July 2005 12:58]

Send a private message to this user    
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: te71/72 axles different?? Wed, 27 July 2005 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The TE71 axle has the disc brake style wheel bearing, you should be able to swap bearing and retainer plate over but i haven't personally done it.

Callum
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: te71/72 axles different?? Wed, 27 July 2005 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

you should be able to swap bearing and retainer plate over but i haven't personally done it.

No that wont work(I have tried). TE71 disk brake axle should be the same as AE86 disk brake axle.

cooter: trace jap spec AE86 axle.
cooter
Regular

October 2004
Re: te71/72 axles different?? Wed, 27 July 2005 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zenki or kouki?
thats really good thanks for the info guys
cheers
craig
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: te71/72 axles different?? Thu, 28 July 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theyre zenki

i've heard they can fit the t18 axle with some machining and swapping of the backing plate and bearing.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: te71/72 axles different?? Thu, 28 July 2005 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i've heard they can fit the t18 axle with some machining and swapping of the backing plate and bearing.

Not without fill welding. In drum brake axle there wont be enough space for lock collar if you're using wide disk brake axle bearing. Axle diameter is reduced after the lock collar in both axles.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: te71/72 axles different?? Thu, 28 July 2005 17:58 Go to previous message
im only going on what takai has told me
maybe he cans hed some light on the matter
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:strange noise in 20valve :(
Next Topic:4age chip