Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 2003 Corolla Conquest engine revs query

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
LowSpirit
Newcomer

July 2005
2003 Corolla Conquest engine revs query Thu, 28 July 2005 02:41 Go to next message
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if someone could help me with a query. My partner's car is a 2003 Corolla Conquest sedan, auto, 20,000 km's, no cruise control.

The other night I was driving on the freeway and glanced at the engine engine revs. We were doing a steady 100 km/h with the overdrive ON and on a flat piece of road. The tacho read just over 2,500 revs the whole time.

My question is: is 2,500 revs normal for 100 km/h? I seem to remember it was around 2,000 a few months ago, and my partner has mentioned an increase in fuel consumption lately.

I contacted Toyota but they said they can't really help and to go see a dealer.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.
  Send a private message to this user    
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: 2003 Corolla Conquest engine revs query Thu, 28 July 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The MX6 sits on around 3000RPM. (auto, 2.5L V6)
2500RPM sounds pretty good to me Smile
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 2003 Corolla Conquest engine revs query Thu, 28 July 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's safe to assume you were imagining things if you thought the revs whent up 500rpm to do 100km/h in top gear.

Fuel consumption tho might be worth checking out.
TougeVitz
Regular

July 2005
Re: 2003 Corolla Conquest engine revs query Thu, 28 July 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try resetting the ECU...?
solves all my power/econ issues every time i do it...
LowSpirit
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: 2003 Corolla Conquest engine revs query Thu, 28 July 2005 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info. The MX6 sounds like a thirsty car, or does that sort of thing not matter? My Ford i6 will do just under 2,000 revs for 100 km/h.

Perhaps I am so used to my Ford that I am imagining things, but still want to check it out with other Toyota drivers.

How do you reset the ECU in a Toyota? Disconnect the battery for 30 mins? Can you pump the brake pedal to discharge the battery faster or something?
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: 2003 Corolla Conquest engine revs query Thu, 28 July 2005 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gf's '03 Corolla Accent sits at 3,000 rpm in 5th gear (manual) at 100km/h. 2,500 rpm is great. Surprised
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 2003 Corolla Conquest engine revs query Thu, 28 July 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LowSpirit wrote on Thu, 28 July 2005 15:07

Thanks for the info. The MX6 sounds like a thirsty car, or does that sort of thing not matter? My Ford i6 will do just under 2,000 revs for 100 km/h.

Perhaps I am so used to my Ford that I am imagining things, but still want to check it out with other Toyota drivers.

How do you reset the ECU in a Toyota? Disconnect the battery for 30 mins? Can you pump the brake pedal to discharge the battery faster or something?

yes, but the ford I6 is a tractor motor... slightly different design...

pump the brake pedal to discharge battery? why do you want to discharge the battery faster?

maybe dealer is best option....
LowSpirit
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: 2003 Corolla Conquest engine revs query Thu, 28 July 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow, okay then.. 2,500 is good. I'll leave the issue alone.

Regarding the battery, sorry, I typed it all wrong. I meant disconnect the battery and then pump the brake to send power to the brake lights to drain the system of stored power faster so we don't have to wait ages. That's what some people do with the Fords anwyay.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2003 Corolla Conquest engine revs query Thu, 28 July 2005 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gotta drain that flux capacitor Razz

2500rpm is just fine - some people get the idea that the lower the crusing RPM, the better everything must be. Tell me why, then, the earlier LS1 Commodores would turn 1500rpm at 100km/h in 6th gear (0.5:1!), and even with a 5.7l V8 would reeealy struggle to even keep moving. That gearing works nicely above about 180km/h, however.
TougeVitz
Regular

July 2005
Re: 2003 Corolla Conquest engine revs query Thu, 28 July 2005 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to reset the corolla ecu, the fuse box in the engine bay should have a "EFI" 15amp fuse. pull that out for 5-10 mins, and the thing will be reset.
when you go to start it again, the engine will turn over a few times, like it doesnt want to start...just keep the key turned till it does ignite. then driving around for the 1st time after, make sure to take it thru the whole rev range. (best done when the engine is already warm!)
driving will seem really choppy the first time. but its just the ecu re-setting itself. getting used to all its parameters.

this way, you dont lose all your radio presets/clock etc...as theres no need to disconnect the battery.
in the end, after a good 1-200kms of driving, the engine will be back to its good self. more power, and fuel economy back to wat it used to be.

hope this helps

Nic
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: 2003 Corolla Conquest engine revs query Thu, 28 July 2005 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2500 is great. My RAV revs at 3200 @ 110km..... IN A MANUAL!.. about 2900 at 100. The RAV needs a 6th gear... Hmm.. would a Celica gearbox fit in there????!!!!???? Plus I use more fuel on the highway than the city... go figure!!??!!
LowSpirit
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: 2003 Corolla Conquest engine revs query Fri, 29 July 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought you're not meant to remove fuses with the battery still connected?
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: 2003 Corolla Conquest engine revs query Fri, 29 July 2005 01:20 Go to previous message
Just pull off the negative end of the battery.... doesn't do anything anyway. ECU is an ECU.. it'd still remember what error codes etc you have. Waste of time if you ask me and then having to set the radio, clock etc.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ECU abbreviations
Next Topic:18R bottom end vs 18RGU
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 22:05:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052058696746826 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.