Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Looking at an 18r-g on the weekend - what to check?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Saru Seven
Newcomer

July 2005
Looking at an 18r-g on the weekend - what to check? Thu, 28 July 2005 06:52 Go to next message
On the weekend I'll be checking out a car that I've been told has an 18r-g in it. Apparently the car's been sitting on blocks for about 10 years.

What should I check, that's specific to the 18r-g, to make sure the engine isn't totally stuffed?

What should I check to see which 18r-g it is? It's a twin-carb version is all I know so far.
  Send a private message to this user    
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: Looking at an 18r-g on the weekend - what to check? Thu, 28 July 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well if it hasn't been touched in 10 years, I wouldn't be expecting miracles. The first thing too look for would be that the crank turns. A compression test won't tell you jack, since it's been sitting for that long. But chances are, the rings would have rusted to the bores, and the bores are probably pitted and corroded etc. Proceed with caution, and if you do get it, be fully prepared to factor in a rebuild. Good luck! Smile
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Looking at an 18r-g on the weekend - what to check? Thu, 28 July 2005 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bit off topic,

Roughly, how long can an engine sit unused (without fluids) before requiring a rebuild?..

Cheers
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Looking at an 18r-g on the weekend - what to check? Thu, 28 July 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive had an engine sit on the shelf for 2 years, and god knows how long it was at the wreckers for, started and ran fine
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Looking at an 18r-g on the weekend - what to check? Thu, 28 July 2005 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it doesn't turn, you're in for a whole lot of work.
If it does turn, you're in for a whole lot of work.

If the engine hasn't run in 10 years, it hasn't had a coolant chang in ten years, which means the head is probably corroded to all hell.
If it's got carbies in it, they would probably need to be take apart and thoroughly cleaned out too.

Things to check:
Does it turn (take a socket set)
If the carbies have a little rectangular plate with a single screw in the middle of each one, it might be a good idea to take this cap off and have a look inside. If the brass things (jets) have lots of crystaline looking shit in them, you should have some fun cleaning out those carbies!

Check that the top chain tensioner is in the engine before turning it over. This thing looks like a really big bolt sticking out of the drivers side of the head on a slight downward angle just infront of thermostat housing/water outlet.

There's not a whole lot that you can check without taking the engine apart.

Good luck anyway, I hope it turns for you!
Saru Seven
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: Looking at an 18r-g on the weekend - what to check? Fri, 29 July 2005 00:18 Go to previous message
Yay.

Thanks guys.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:18R bottom end vs 18RGU
Next Topic:strange noise in 20valve :(
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 17:19:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056350231170654 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.