anyone happen to know anyting about
the 74163 16-modulo binary counter?

i think its a chipset and its
suppose to do something fancy Confused
  Send a private message to this user    
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: RMIT - computer course Tue, 26 July 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What do you need to know? i think i could work a fair bit out by looking at the name, failing that spec sheets are your friend.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: RMIT - computer course Tue, 26 July 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think PLC at RMIT sucks. we have this william hung dude teaching Sad
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: RMIT - computer course Tue, 26 July 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We had a william hung teach us that stuff at UC. I hope your not blessed with the same william hung!!
verbatim210
Regular

April 2005
Re: RMIT - computer course Tue, 26 July 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey dude,

i see a corolla parked outside the school campus, you wouldn't happen to be the same dude now would you?

i saw a toymods sticker on the window, its gotta be you!
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: RMIT - computer course Wed, 27 July 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the white one with stuff all over the backseat?? Rolling Eyes
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RMIT - computer course Wed, 27 July 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rmit blows balls

lol insightfull post by me
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RMIT - computer course Wed, 27 July 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I assume you're referring to the 74163 Synchronous 4-bit counter?

If so, it's a 16-pin DIP integrated circuit. I use them quite often to reduce clock frequencies to a value that can be used by serial communicatiosn chips.

The low power Schottky version is the best one to use and it is the 74LS163.

Basically, you set up the chip enable pins and clear pins to ensure the device can count. Then you apply a frequency into the clock input pin. You have 4 output pins where the first pin is half, the next pin is a quarter, third pin is an eigth and the fourth pin is one sixteenth of the input frequency. For example, if you put 16Mhz clock into the chip the four output pins will output a frequency of 8Mhz, 4Mhz, 2Mhz and 1Mhz.

You also have 4 input pins that provide weighting for the output count. Notice 4 input and 4 output pins? That's why it's called a 4-bit counter. It doesn't do anything real fancy except divide clock signals. The modulo-16 is 'cos it counts 4-bits and 4-bits can count up to 16 (well, 0 to 15 actually, the 16th count gives a carry/ripple and the 4-bits go back to 0).

The ripple/carry bit allows you to cascade these bad boys together to get lower counts and to do 8-bit (if you put 2 chips together) or 12-bit (if you put 3 chips together) counting etc.

You can find the datasheet for this device at....

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74ls163a.pdf

I hope this helps. If I've gone off on a tangent and totally off topic (as usual, but hey, I'm old so cut me some slack) then sorry and ignore this post.

seeyuzz
river
verbatim210
Regular

April 2005
Re: RMIT - computer course Thu, 28 July 2005 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks river that was so helpful i could not understand. but yeh everything u said rings a bell so i know ur definately on the right track. im not really in the mood to study right now so i'll just research some cars and wire up my digital project later.

and yeh b1gb3n, you do go to RMIT yeh. its gotta be you man, how many toymod corollas can possible park infront of the RMIT car park.

i was perving inside ur car, i noticed it was very messy and an SAFC lol. toymod sticker on the window and apart from that cant really remember much else

b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: RMIT - computer course Thu, 28 July 2005 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
verbatim210 wrote on Thu, 28 July 2005 13:45

thanks river that was so helpful i could not understand. but yeh everything u said rings a bell so i know ur definately on the right track. im not really in the mood to study right now so i'll just research some cars and wire up my digital project later.

and yeh b1gb3n, you do go to RMIT yeh. its gotta be you man, how many toymod corollas can possible park infront of the RMIT car park.

i was perving inside ur car, i noticed it was very messy and an SAFC lol. toymod sticker on the window and apart from that cant really remember much else

sometimes there is also an ae86 around. mint looking one with rx7 brakes on it. it had custom plates as well. also, theres also a white ae82 OSDVS plates around as well.

ur officially the 2nd person on toymods to perv on my car at rmit. at this rate im getting one person a yr Cool
verbatim210
Regular

April 2005
Re: RMIT - computer course Thu, 28 July 2005 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i knew it was u!

next time i see ya at school i'll shake ur hand
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: RMIT - computer course Thu, 28 July 2005 18:48 Go to previous message
by the looks of things dont think i will be making it for morning class. havent slept yet Sad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Incorrect Netbank transfer problem?!?!
Next Topic:Vietnamese Weddings ? Anyone help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 01:05:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069379806518555 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.