Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Kazuma
Newcomer

July 2005
button clutches Thu, 28 July 2005 13:39 Go to next message
I realise this probably sounds stupid to those who are knowledgeable when it comes to cars and parts, but could someone explain the difference between a button clutch and a normal clutch. As someone who is sick of driving an auto and is just starting to learn how to drive a manual, i have found my dream car but it has a button clutch, i wish to know the difference between the two. If someone could be of assistance it would be very helpful as well as much appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: button clutches Thu, 28 July 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you dont know how to drive a manual dont buy a car with a button clutch. Generally like a button they are either on or off or they have a very bitey
Kazuma
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: button clutches Thu, 28 July 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so they are either on or off, there is no leeway?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: button clutches Thu, 28 July 2005 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some are better than others like my ceramic button you could slip but its not something you would want to learn to drive on other button clutches ive used are very difficult to drive especially with hill starts parking etc
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: button clutches Thu, 28 July 2005 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yer. Pain to drive in start-stop traffic, parking, hill starts etc. I got a 4 puck brass button (sprung centre) and it has a teeny tiny bit of leeway/friction point sorta thing. But not enough revs and the thing just stalls... Confused
jese1218
Regular

March 2005
Re: button clutches Thu, 28 July 2005 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a brass button too. Exedy 5 Puck, no sprung centre Razz. They are a little shuddery and if you don't get your rev's up, they will jolt/stall. I usually take off at around 1500-2000RPM to be smooth, and in stop start conditions, you can just "burst" it, pop clutch, in and out. Works ok. For hill starts, i use the handbrake, and take off normally while letting the handbrake down gentally.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: button clutches Thu, 28 July 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And a brass button cant handle too much "learner" punishment, it will eventually fcuk up.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: button clutches Fri, 29 July 2005 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh dear i wouldnt want to learn how to drive a manual with a brass button clutch. The other problem with them is that if you are using it as a car that you drive on the street that if you use the clutch like a normal item, ie ride to clutch to get a smooth take off rather than just giving it revs and dumping it the clutch life will be significantly shortend
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: button clutches Fri, 29 July 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWIW I've had a ceramic 5-puck in my daily driver for nearly 2 years and it's still going strong. Drive them sensibly (no riding the clutch) and they'll last. You'd want to be experienced driving a manual before getting one though.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: button clutches Fri, 29 July 2005 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 10:17

FWIW I've had a ceramic 5-puck in my daily driver for nearly 2 years and it's still going strong. Drive them sensibly (no riding the clutch) and they'll last. You'd want to be experienced driving a manual before getting one though.

yeah i agree they dont like being slipped much i have a 3 puck exeedy ceramic button and it has a tiny bit of slip in it but most people dont know how to drive it and dont give it enough revs and then it stalls or they try and slip it. One of the mechanics at the place i take it to must have been used to driving excells and stalled it 3 times b4 giving up and asked me to drive it onto the hoist for him was quite entertaining.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: button clutches Fri, 29 July 2005 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's funny, when I first got the button in my mr2, I hated it, but now, I hate non-button clutches - They just seem to lack precision. (they are easier to get out of the driveway though).
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: button clutches Fri, 29 July 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they also have a habbit of destroying engine mounts
ROLLA GTi
Regular

September 2003
Re: button clutches Fri, 29 July 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bah, i use a button clutch (sprung centre) and its fine, hasnt caused any damage and is easy to use
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: button clutches Fri, 29 July 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ROLLA GTi wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 18:45

Bah, i use a button clutch (sprung centre) and its fine, hasnt caused any damage and is easy to use

maybee its because you drive like a grandma Laughing Razz
ROLLA GTi
Regular

September 2003
Re: button clutches Fri, 29 July 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah must be
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: button clutches Fri, 29 July 2005 08:58 Go to previous message
Kazuma learning a manual with a button is fine on the track but on the street, one you will wear it out much much quicker and two it can be a little dangerous in the wet. if its an exedy ceramic button it wont be as bad as say a triple plate,but if its your dream car,be prepared to drive it ever now and then as you learn a manual box on another car.you must be young{lol or an old women}to not have driven a manual before,some people get it straight away some people take longer{my mum is 60 and still has a hard time with manuals}. as a young bloke,if its your dream car,get it,but make sure you ad a $1000,so you can put a standard clutch in it and keep the button for a bit later.
mick

[Updated on: Fri, 29 July 2005 09:03]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Bored at work.. been doodling a retro TA22 GT lol
Next Topic:Stupid VL question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 06:31:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074398517608643 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.