Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
icon2.gif  knocking noise in engine Thu, 28 July 2005 13:31 Go to next message
hi i'm just wondering if the timing belt was out if this could be causeing a knocking noise from my engine, it sounds pretty voilent and harsh??

the car is also running sluggish aswell not as responsive as it used to be??

and if i i dont keep the revs up or if i put it in neautral the car just stalls and does keep its revs up?

[Updated on: Fri, 29 July 2005 01:16]

Send a private message to this user    
devolutio
Regular

October 2004
Re: knocking noise in engine Thu, 28 July 2005 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
more details, such as, what motor are we talking about here?

if your cam timing is out and you are hearing a knocking noise, doesn't sound like a good combination.

something to be learnt from recent issue with my 4age - make sure crank pulley is tightened up - had knocking noise due to loose pulley, which had all the pressure everything running off it all going on to the key - which broke a piece out of main pulley (toothed gear). this put cam timing out, made engine less responsive, and evetually made plugs all sooty and stopped running (which is when i got it towed and actually looked for problem!)

suggestions:

1. don't drive it

2. pull the lever that lets you open the bonnet (usually located at bottom of dash on drivers side)

3. poke around and report back
devolutio
Regular

October 2004
Re: knocking noise in engine Thu, 28 July 2005 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://web.aanet.com.au/devolutio/cranktimingpully.jpg

watch out for this
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: knocking noise in engine Thu, 28 July 2005 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
probably done a big end = rebuild time
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: knocking noise in engine Thu, 28 July 2005 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a 3S-GE engine. this all started happening when i gave the engine a fair bit last night...but yeah i havent driven it since??

but the noise is coming from right hand side of engine bay near the 4th piston and gearbox kinda area
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: knocking noise in engine Thu, 28 July 2005 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep it would be the big end, i have a 3sge as well and same thing with me, rebuild time
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: knocking noise in engine Fri, 29 July 2005 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats is the "big end"??
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: knocking noise in engine Fri, 29 July 2005 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havabeer wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 11:16

whats is the "big end"??

the big end bearing sorry, part of your engines internals
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: knocking noise in engine Fri, 29 July 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much does a rebuild cost...seeing as i'm not in the best financial situation...cant i get that bearing replaced or is it just easyer to do it all at once??

1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: knocking noise in engine Fri, 29 July 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds very much like the bottom end bearings , yes you can replace the bottom end bearings although the problem you may face is the crank or the rods may have got scored/marked if any of the bearings slipped in which will then take you down the path of new crank , rods , bearings etc and it can just never stop then and become a full rebuild.

Im in the same situation exactly with the g/fs 4AGZE Sad so full rebuild time for that one

havabeer wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 11:24

how much does a rebuild cost...seeing as i'm not in the best financial situation...cant i get that bearing replaced or is it just easyer to do it all at once??

ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: knocking noise in engine Fri, 29 July 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

as mentioned by 1200det you could replace it, but yeah have damanged parts in the process, and in the end would have to do again, engine wouldn't last much longer, engine rebuild for mine was 3600, but i had aftermarket internals put in and bored/honed and balanced the engine, probably better off finding a 2nd hand 3sge from somewhere and dropping it in, 2nd hand engine can range from minimum 500-1000?? for a 3sge in working order..
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: knocking noise in engine Fri, 29 July 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it was me i would :

Drop the sump
Remove the bottom end caps and remove bearings
Inspect bearings
Inspect Crank/rods

You might get away with just using a new set of genuine bearings if there is no markings on crank or rods.

Unsure if you can remove the sump with engine in place you may need to lift/remove engine - If your lucky you may be able to remove the pistons and rods out the bottom of the 3S engines unsure though.

This is of course for someone with a little automotive knowledge

1200det wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 11:39

Sounds very much like the bottom end bearings , yes you can replace the bottom end bearings although the problem you may face is the crank or the rods may have got scored/marked if any of the bearings slipped in which will then take you down the path of new crank , rods , bearings etc and it can just never stop then and become a full rebuild.

Im in the same situation exactly with the g/fs 4AGZE Sad so full rebuild time for that one

havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: knocking noise in engine Fri, 29 July 2005 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah a freind of a freind is a really good mechanic round this area i'm gonna call him to come have a look at it because i'm not sure how driveable it is??

TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: knocking noise in engine Fri, 29 July 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3SGTE time!!
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: knocking noise in engine Fri, 29 July 2005 03:58 Go to previous message
yeah i'd love to have a 3S-GTE but i dont really have the money

i've found a guy who' selling is 3S-GE and gear box (pretty much whole car) for 1500, so once i get some quotes i might consider just getting that and doing a straight swap

as his engine was rebuilt 5000k's ago
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Starting problems?
Next Topic:ECU abbreviations
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 20:32:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053651332855225 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.