Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Thu, 28 July 2005 23:10 Go to next message
Having claimed three Supra 5-speeds already, my 2JZ isn't finished yet. Last night it unleashed its wrath on the front uni joint of my modified Hilux tailshaft. And boy, did it pay!

http://www.norbie.net/stuff/Uni01.jpg

http://www.norbie.net/stuff/Uni02.jpg
http://www.norbie.net/stuff/Uni03.jpg
http://www.norbie.net/stuff/Uni04.jpg

This happened in unremarkable circumstances. Brisbane CBD at about 10:30 last night, stopped at the lights, normal launch, floor it halfway through first - BANG! The car kept driving but it had a horrendous vibration. I pulled over but couldn't see anything obvious wrong (stupid low cars), so I decided to limp it home very slowly and hope for the best. Don't ask me how I made it but I did!

Once home I jacked up the back of the car, put it in second and let the clutch out with the engine running. Had a look underneath with everything spinning and... let's say it looked rather amusing but scary at the same time. Shocked Not sure if the tailshaft itself is damaged, hopefully I can just replace the uni and it will be all good again.

Great timing though - I have to fix/replace a tailshaft a couple of months before I'm getting rid of it as part of the 6-speed conversion. Bah!! Mad
  Send a private message to this user    
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Thu, 28 July 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Munted! Shocked
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Thu, 28 July 2005 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sucks to live behind Norbie's 2JZ!
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha, looks painful.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 08:40

Having
This happened in unremarkable circumstances. Brisbane CBD at about 10:30 last night, stopped at the lights, normal launch, floor it halfway through first - BANG!

Floored 1/2 through 1st.

Unremarkable - SURE !!!!

After having been for a ride in this thing, unremarkable would have been the last wording !!!!

Nice break though.

Lucky it didn't fully let go and damage anything else

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*standing ovation*
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unremarkable is not the word I would use when describing the Supra.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What diameter are Hilux unis?

Cool that you were able to limp home after the breakage.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just weld it back together
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just realised it's your front UJ....lucky you didn't pole vault your car!! Shocked
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup... it happened at low speed (maybe 40km/h tops) but it could have happened when snapping 4th at 200km/h. Scary when you think about it! Maybe I should re-install that tailshaft loop I have lying aorund somewhere...
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the grease dosent look to fresh there mate Razz stupid low cars cant get under to grease uni joints eh Laughing
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless you have a pit Very Happy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
c'mon josh, you know that's what your drivetrain is gonna end up looking like Smile
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You shuddup.
My car will be beautiful and perfect in every way.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice work Smile

how have you not broken that F series yet?
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 11:44

nice work Smile

how have you not broken that F series yet?

I think Norbie's got that next on his 'to do' list.. Razz
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's a big "to-do" list Razz

[Updated on: Fri, 29 July 2005 01:49]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, once I've got the 6-speed and custom-mega-driveshaft installed, I'll likely find the next weakest link pretty soon. Apparently the half-shafts usually let go before the diff, which suits me because they're a damn sight cheaper (and easier) to replace than a TrueTrac!
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no billet ones if you break the stockers?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is awesome - norbie does all the hard work, finding the order things let go in an ma61, and the rest of us just replace it as our torque increases Smile

of course, some of us are slightly more gentle in our driving style than others Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 12:53

this is awesome - norbie does all the hard work, finding the order things let go in an ma61, and the rest of us just replace it as our torque increases Smile

I'm glad I can be of service to the MA61 community. Razz
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 12:42

draven wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 12:53

I'm glad I can be of service to the MA61 community. Razz

Your gladness to help is greatfully accepted Surprised
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 11:16

Maybe I should re-install that tailshaft loop I have lying aorund somewhere...

ya think Razz heh heh

how high do you think she'd jump at 200 Wink
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*goes down stairs and hugs tailshaft loop* Smile
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Fri, 29 July 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 15:03

how high do you think she'd jump at 200 Wink

Quite.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZ - Destroyer of Drivetrains Sun, 31 July 2005 11:04 Go to previous message
Update time: the tailshaft is out and sitting in the back of the Supra waiting for repairs. The uni is well fucked, I have NO idea how I got the car home like that. There is no visible damage to the tailshaft itself though, so hopefully a new uni and a balance is all it needs and I'm good to go.

The car is temporarily sort-of running thanks to my spare tailshaft, which is well past its use-by date. As long as I keep the speed below 40km/h the metallic grinding noises aren't too bad. Good thing the tailshaft shop is only two suburbs away, but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed the whole way! Shocked
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:advice concerning the DAMM RTA
Next Topic:What seats to suit ke55 coupe??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 01:25:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067188739776611 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.