Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Incorrect Netbank transfer problem?!?!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sprinter-Saurus
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Incorrect Netbank transfer problem?!?! Thu, 28 July 2005 10:32 Go to next message
Hey all.

I transferred some money to a person's account when buying something from them, but I punched in the wrong BSB number, and so obviously the person hasn't recieved the funds. It looks as though the transfer was processed and confirmed fromy my end, but if I go to the bank and give them the details are they able to reverse it?

Has anyone else done this before, or has this problem before?
Cheers for any info or help, Daniel. Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
tom210
Regular

March 2005
Re: Incorrect Netbank transfer problem?!?! Thu, 28 July 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i did it once, sorta... i put in the wrong name and it went from my account for about 3 days then appeared back in there, i spent it and didnt think anything of it until the dude claimed he hadnt got it, went to ebay court, he said i dont want your money, i said i'll keep Gran Turismo 4 BMW Edition, he said fine i said fine and we went our own ways... so yeah cant help just thought i might share my story...

thanks for listening, Goodnight.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Incorrect Netbank transfer problem?!?! Fri, 29 July 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I've given a dude the wrong account number before.

He just called up the bank, said what he did, and they retransferred it into my correct account.

So unless the details you put in magically happen to match some other dude who has the same name, its all reversible.
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Incorrect Netbank transfer problem?!?! Fri, 29 July 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is happening to me at the moment. I gave my friend an incorrect acount number (just the last digit wrong) so that he could transfer me some money. We realised about a week later, when it still hadn't come through. Called Commonwealth Bank and they said there wasn't much they could do, and it'd cost us $25 to look into it, and $50 if they happened to return the money. About a month and a half later, after us hassling them the whole time, they said they had contacted the person who recieved the money, but he is refusing to return the money, even tho he understands it was sent by accident. Also, the bank wont give us any contact details of the dude who got the money. Seriously just want to get my hands on him tho!

What happens now is:

We get a solicitors letter asking for the money back, and give it to the dude's bank so that they can send it on without us knowing who it us. The local ombudsman says we dont have a leg to stand on tho.

Funny how they ask you for an account name, bsb and account number, but don't cross reference them all to see if the name actually matches the account.

MORAL OF THE STOREY: BE VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL WHEN TYPING IN THE DETAILS OF A TRANSFER, IF U STUFF UP ITS YOUR FAULT AND THE BANK COULDN"T CARE LESS
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Incorrect Netbank transfer problem?!?! Fri, 29 July 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You serious?

As far as I know the guy who I incorrectly gave my details to just called the bank, and they retransferred the money.

It was only $110 too, and I got it all, so there was definately no $50 fee.
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Incorrect Netbank transfer problem?!?! Fri, 29 July 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, of course thats how it should happen.

I can't get over the fact that they have no measures to cross check between account names and numbers. I know nothing about programming, but I reckon I could even write the script to do this in about five minutes. Would save a lot of trouble. I mean, why ask for the account name if they aren't going to use it?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Incorrect Netbank transfer problem?!?! Fri, 29 July 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was under the impression that the account name was there so that IF you fucked up, it was quickly and easily reversed.

A $50 fee is not quickly and easily reversed in my opinion.

Sure if its $5000 you might not notice the fee, but most of my transactions are in the $20-$40 range, if not less.
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Incorrect Netbank transfer problem?!?! Fri, 29 July 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, that's what I always thought. This transfer is only $150, so $50 is a pretty steep price to pay for them to take over a month just to dial a phone number and ask for the money.
RCNIZE
Regular

February 2005
Re: Incorrect Netbank transfer problem?!?! Fri, 29 July 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did this a while ago, deposited about $400 into an account to purchase some stuff.
Realised I put in the a Commonwealth BSB, and St George Account number.
Commonwealth bank account numbers are 8 digits, I put in 6, so the money came back after 2-3 days.
It cost $2.50 for it to come back I think. A NoAccRetFee, return fee?

Well all I can say is, you have to check 5 times while transferring with Netbank, it can easily cause mistakes.
Copy paste etc..

But in your case, you'll have to call up netbank customer service.
They'll ask for your information and look into it.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Incorrect Netbank transfer problem?!?! Fri, 29 July 2005 06:44 Go to previous message
I can comment accurately on this as I used to work in the very area that handled this, not for the same bank, but trustme they all work the same.

If the BSB and acct number are correct (remembering that accts no's aren't duplicatedbetween branches to prevent these problems) then it will go to the account. If the numbers are correct but don't match up in regards to correct account number for the branch or correct branch number for the account it will appear on a report (at the branch it was numbered to).

So if you got the branch number incorrect for the account (but valid), it will go to the wrong branch and appear on report as no account, they lookup account number and it appears at other branch, check other details (name) and send on. If the branch number doesn't exist then it will be picked up before being exchanged overnight between banks and sent back to the originating bank (hard to get back)

If account number wrong (but valid branch number) then will appear on branches report. Gets checked by name vs acct numbers and if they can track it down then post to right account.

So if they say they can't do anything they are either a/ Lazy b/ Useless or haven't actually received the money due to the nature of your error. I'm not sure of how they would go about tracking internet tfrs from origin unfortunately but when it gets to the destination any errors are treated the same.

If the error meant that the sending bank couldn't identify the destination (wrong BSB only, because one bank can't know anothers account numbers correct/incorrect) then it will appear on their reports and corrected if possible. However if it was processed manually at any point then it could be a keying error by staff. The trick is to start at the origin of the funds and track from there.

What part of the BSB was wrong? The BSB (BANK/STATE/BRANCH number) is broken down as such:

XX X XXX

XX = Bank, 01 anz, 03 westpac, 06 cba, etc
x = state, 2 = nsw, 3 = vic etc (basically follows postcode 1st digit)

XXX = brach

Get the bank number wrong and you can be really screwed, especially if the state/branch is right. Doubly screwed if it's hicksville NT and they haven't a clue what they have on a report and simply wait till someone calls them.

If any of it is wrong and doesn't match anything anywhere then it will be sitting somewhere waiting for someone to do something with it. They won't care (especially if it's an internet dept as they are busy enough) and they make money from your funds.

Go to the bank, demand to know who to contact for internet banking errors (call the internet/phone banking service is the best bet), don't take no for an answer. The phrase "that is simply inacceptable" is your friend followed by silence and a stare if in person.

Tell them exactly where you made the error, and where it should have gone, when it was done (date and time) also when it actually came from the account (may have been a delay which would explain why they cant find it). Don't pay any fees prior to them finding it 'cause once they have the money why should they continue to give a shit? Then don't pay the fees anyway because then it's fixed and all good. If they say they will take it from your account, they can't do that without your sig on a form, if they do take it to the banking ombudsman for bending over.

regards

J
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:80s new wave
Next Topic:RMIT - computer course
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 05:23:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0037829875946045 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.