Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3SGE Rebuild or Not?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
frustrated father
Newcomer

July 2005
3SGE Rebuild or Not? Fri, 29 July 2005 03:26 Go to next message
Gidday All,as a new reader of your forums looking for GOOD advise about my son,s 1987 3SGE Sx that seems to keep me poor,( sorry,does keep me poor)i,m looking for advise on whether to have the bottom end rebuilt or toss the lot away and get a low? Km Jap import for about $1,150 plus install ( they say it comes with 6 mths warranty??).
The original motor has done under 170k and the car is A1 condition but things are always going wrong.Just spent a fortune replacing seals,gaskets and timing gear.
WHAT TO DO?? Evil or Very Mad
  Send a private message to this user    
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Fri, 29 July 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well look at it this way, you could replace the bottom end, but the condition of the engines internals maybe stuffed already and pointless to just replace (bottom end), getting a 2nd hand 3sge with 170,000km you could also have the same problem unless you inspect the whole engine, or you could rebuild the whole engine and make it pretty much brand new as i have done, quite costly, but if he plans to keep it for along time then maybe the way to go.
frustrated father
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Fri, 29 July 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How Costly?
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Fri, 29 July 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rebuild, well depending on what you need, well you will at least need new pistons, if the old ones have had it, but finding OEM 3sge ones might be tough as they don't make them anymore, but i would estimate 1500-3000 roughly, i paid 3600 for mine but had custom internals done and bored/honed and balanced the engine.
frustrated father
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Fri, 29 July 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your reply,after reading it i got a warm fuzzy feeling inside,NOT.
Anyway,once the full extent of damage is accessed i,ll make up my mind.
What if any warranty do you get with a rebuild?
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Fri, 29 July 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey, who ever gave the the price of 1,150 dollars is fuckin dreaming, i bought my 92 model 3sgte (turbo, intercooled, 90K) for 1200.

shop around a bit, a gen 1 3sge should be no more than 600 - 700
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Fri, 29 July 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1 word..... 3sgte....
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Fri, 29 July 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WantaTurbo wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 16:18

1 word..... 3sgte....

thats not a word, its a series of a number and letters put together to describe an engine Razz
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Fri, 29 July 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 16:28

WantaTurbo wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 16:18

1 word..... 3sgte....

thats not a word, its a series of a number and letters put together to describe an engine Razz

ooohhh them's fighting words! or was it word? or w3rd?

*cough*

A Gen1 3SGE you should be able to source for $750, I think SSS has 'em for that. Can swap the motors over in an afternoon. If you need to borrow a hoist I may be able to help.

If you want a motor a little more perky and newer try a Gen2 or 3 for $1200 and up.

A rebuild like Julian said ranges in price from $1500ish to whatever you want to spend. That way you know it is new and can get warranty, but a replacement Gen1 is your quickest and cheapest solution, but has fewwer guarantees.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Fri, 29 July 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who this SSS guy/place as i'm in the same boat and might need a rebuild/replacement engine, but not sure what is exactly fucked in my engine.

i've found a guy thats selling whole car (so i can have gearbox and engine and everything else) for 1500, and the engine was just rebuilt 5000k's ago

is that a good deal?
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Fri, 29 July 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first why are you having so much trouble with a toyota engine that has done 170k ?lack of servicing or its being thrashed?. getting another engine import engine is going to need,water pump,thermostat,new gearbox seal,timing belt set,filters,plugs,engine and radiator flush and a new clutch depending on wear, etc etc. and you still wont know how the engine has been looked after before you get it into your car.6 months isnt long as far as motors go. a rebuilt one will cost you abit more{around the $2500}but you will know what you are getting.warranty on a rebuild can be from 3months-12 months depending on who does it. import is the cheaper way and can be fantastic,but it also has its pit falls.
mick
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Fri, 29 July 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
make your son pay for it Razz

i know im paying for all my shit, and im 17
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Fri, 29 July 2005 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It depends on what your sons plans are, and how long you intend to keep the car. the 3sge is a fantastic engine, and well-worth rebuilding, however, it does come at a cost. I can tell you that my 3sge engine by itself is worth about $15,000 alone. with the rebuild costing half that price Shocked
its a lot i know, and i'm not saying this is the way to go, but, it is effectively a new engine and will go a long way before i need to do anything else to the internals.
When i blew the main bearing on the engine (at 335,000km's) i was thinking what you are thinking now, rebuilt/swap/upgrade to turbo. and what it came down to was
1. rebuild - more expensive, new engine, modified internals
2. swap for low km's - what is ACTUAL milage, why was it out of the original car? any other problems with it, clutch/water pump etc
3. turbo - open a new ball game for modifications

i decided for the rebuild coz i wanted to keep it non-turbo and wanted, more than anything, a 'new' engine. howver, as a low cost option, the swap IS a good idea and depending on where it is done, can be just as effective as a rebuild
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Fri, 29 July 2005 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wtf!
mick
bantech
Regular

September 2004
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Fri, 29 July 2005 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It may be worth it to pay an engine builder to strip the motor and examine the internals, measure tolerances etc. You might then be able to make a better decision. If the motor's pooched anyway there is not a whole lot to lose.

If you want less hassles you'll have to spend a bit more money on a decent rebuild. Imports can be a bit of a mixed bag. You might get one that lasts for years or one that lasts 6 months. There are some dodgy importers as well.

As for replacing internals its not absolutely necessary. Pistons for example can be easily refurbished depending on their condition.

For what its worth I stripped my 4AGE and took all the parts to the rebuilder for cleaning, machining and measuring. I then tacked everything back together myself.

Rough costs=
Block hone and chemical clean - $120
Head service - $200
Crankshaft machine - $50
Piston Rings - $100
Big end bearings - $70
Main bearings - $70
Full Gasket Kit - $270
Thrust Bearings - $25
Consumables such as oil, coolant, gasket cement, install lube etc etc - maybe $100.

You'll also need some good tools like a torque wrench and piston ring compressor.

Just a thought.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Sat, 30 July 2005 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah its times like these you need to be mates with a mechanic
frustrated father
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Sat, 30 July 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that,i reckon rebuild is the way to go as you say you know what your getting ( hopefully ).
frustrated father
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Sat, 30 July 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thought we were getting a bargain, previous owner bought it new and only drove it locally ( so he said ) but after a short time found plenty wrong and obviously little maintenance done on it.
For sure,the boy has probably given it a bit too much at times ( isn,t that what 17yo do!! ) I know i did ( long time ago )
Its a great little car to drive but i,m getting sick of throwin $$ at it.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Sat, 30 July 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can you let us know how you go with getting it rebuilt as i think i'm gonna have to do same thing...ie cost wise and all that

just coz i'm pretty much in the same boat as you are
frustrated father
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Sat, 30 July 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will do,price may vary as i,m in SA country,so freight and stuff will add up.
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Sat, 30 July 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's nothing wrong with import engines. I was in the same boat, had spent almost a grand repairng the original motor and it still carked it in the end. I picked up an imported motor & g.box, changed the crankshaft oil seals and clutch ($400). Now it drives like a new car - no leaks, doesn't burn oil, starts everytime and a 30% increase in power as a bonus. Only hassle was with the transaxle which is being replaced under warranty. I'm very happy with it.

Soz, all these different opinions are probably just confusing you more. Everyone seems to go their own way when faced with this problem.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Sat, 30 July 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i myself have decided to go all out on a gen2 NA motor-heaps of head work, microtech, big cams and forged bottom end-so again it all depends on how much you want to spend, will he want power upgrade or just a rebuild to standard and get a new/refurbished engine.

Just have a think about it anf iof he wants more power etc, tell him to get a job and pay for m,ost of it himself!!
billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Sat, 30 July 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I blew a water pump and lost all the water which overheated the engine (it almost siezed) in my st162 3sge. I decided 2 get a 3sgte halfcut and do the conversion. It cost about $2500 to do the conversion. It leaves the 3sge for dead.

After doing the conversion I looked at the 3sge and the head was in need of a straighten etc and the bore had one heat spot, ie i could of used the old engine but would of cost about $500 to do the head.

My point is if u want to hav sum fun, do the conversion!!!!

Ty
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Sat, 30 July 2005 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To be honest I'd toss the lot away if I had the money to do so. Rebuilding is usually a cheaper option for myself as I have alot of the tools required to do so - but for most getting a new engine is cheaper and easier.

It's only an ST162 - just spend as little as possible to keep it going, or consider getting a newer car! The 1st gen 3S-GE is not really the best of motors ever built, I would try getting an MR2 motor (either gen 2 or gen 3 3S-GE) and stick that in the ST162. Importing a motor can be a hassle because of emissions equipment, difficulty of finding history of the engine, finding out the condition of the engine etc etc.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Sat, 30 July 2005 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its all pretty much gonna come down to how much you wanna spend... if its for your son (who i assume is P plater) doing the conversion mighten be smartest thing giving new driver a shiny new turbo and what not and all the extra power

but 2500 for a conversion compared to 1000+ or so to rebuild... but its pretty much up to you
billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Sun, 31 July 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id b careful with buying a mr2 3sge. I was looking at buying one when the gen I 3sge stopped. The bloke who was selling them (an importer) said that the 3sge wont fit. I cant exactly remember Y not but thats wat he said...

Good luck
Ty
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Sun, 31 July 2005 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
billmchenry wrote on Sun, 31 July 2005 12:47

Id b careful with buying a mr2 3sge. I was looking at buying one when the gen I 3sge stopped. The bloke who was selling them (an importer) said that the 3sge wont fit. I cant exactly remember Y not but thats wat he said...

Good luck
Ty

http://gtfour.supras.org.nz/3S-GTE%20Conversion.ht m
Refers to a 3SGTE swap, but is still relevant to the non-turbo.

Depending on your budget you might also want to consider cutting your losses, selling the Celica and putting the money you would've on the engine rebuild toward a newer car with less issues. If I knew how much I'd end up spending I definitely would've considered this option.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Sun, 31 July 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havabeer wrote on Sat, 30 July 2005 10:56

yeah its times like these you need to be mates with a mechanic

Not necessarily, if u can get your hands on a workshop manual, its got step by step instructions so even a monkey can do it Wink
nath437
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Mon, 01 August 2005 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smashed_wombat wrote on Sun, 31 July 2005 13:30

billmchenry wrote on Sun, 31 July 2005 12:47

Good luck
Ty

http://gtfour.supras.org.nz/3S-GTE%20Conversion.ht m
Refers to a 3SGTE swap, but is still relevant to the non-turbo.

Depending on your budget you might also want to consider cutting your losses, selling the Celica and putting the money you would've on the engine rebuild toward a newer car with less issues. If I knew how much I'd end up spending I definitely would've considered this option.

personaly i'd go and do this too, i've got a ST-162 with a 3S-GE and when mine decided that just didnt want to go anymore i had an engine change over to a reco engine in from HM Gen engines, cost me $2,500 plus install, but mind you its got new pistons in it, among other things, and im still throwing money at it because there are some other problems that have arrisen now, so i'd say cut your losses, get a newer car, and tell your son to get a job and pay for a bit of it at least, he might cut down on doing crazy stuff if he knows he has to pay for it Wink
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Mon, 01 August 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

It's only an ST162 - just spend as little as possible to keep it going, or consider getting a newer car!

Quote:

Depending on your budget you might also want to consider cutting your losses, selling the Celica and putting the money you would've on the engine rebuild toward a newer car with less issues.

Quote:

and im still throwing money at it because there are some other problems that have arrisen now, so i'd say cut your losses, get a newer car, and tell your son to get a job and pay for a bit of it at least, he might cut down on doing crazy stuff if he knows he has to pay for it

All very good advice - to be honest, more and more these days I find myself subscribing to the japanese way of just dumping old(er) cars before they cause too much of a headache Very Happy
CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Mon, 01 August 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your son is going to keep the car for long enough to make a rebuilt engine worthwhile then go for it, i had an engine rebuilt just last week, cost $2200 with a 3Year 100,000KM warranty. Like others have said it will cost anywhere between $1500-$3000+.

If you do go with this option you will have to make sure he doesnt thrash it for at least the first few thoushand KM's otherwise you will end up with more problems.

cheers
chris
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Mon, 01 August 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
start looking for second hand 3S-ge thats what i'm doing seeing as mine is fucked might have found one for 200 Very Happy

might be inheriting someone elese's problem
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Mon, 01 August 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

[Updated on: Mon, 01 August 2005 07:23]

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Mon, 01 August 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well said CoronaC. frustrated father im most impressed, your son is very lucky. frustrated father i dont know were you are but if you are on the central coast i can recommend someone to do the rebuild.i trust this person implisately and know you will be getting a no problem engine.i dont ever recommend people unless i know they do the best job.
mick

havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Mon, 01 August 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'll glady take any recomendations... i can get to central coast easily. how much would this guy do a rebuild for?
andrewvibert
Forums Junkie

Forum Sponsor

May 2002
Re: 3SGE Rebuild or Not? Tue, 02 August 2005 03:19 Go to previous message
I have an Import gen 1 3sge to suit st162 celica. This engine has just come out of a container and will carry a 90 day guarantee. Price is $975. I know this sounds exp but they are hard to find. I have sold many of these engines over the years and have only ever had one problem (valve stem seals).
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:A/C Tech?
Next Topic:What do I need to do away with the AFM?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:59:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076360702514648 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.