Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Chisholm
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Running premium with 1s-ci Wed, 27 July 2005 04:40 Go to next message
hi guys.

I have a sv20 1989 manual Camry.

Is it possible to advance the timings to get a little more power running premium? We run premium anyway bcos its cleaner and runs a little smoother, but I think the timings need to be advanced to get better fuel economoy and maybe a few much-needed extra kw?

Im pretty certain a 1s-ci wouldn't have a knock sensor?

If so, is there any benefit in running the 98 octane stuff over the 95 stuff?If its possible, can i just get a local mechanic to do it (adjust the timing that is)?

I went to one of the local mechanics about an unrelated matter, and asked him about premium. He said "no, premium gives better economy but not more power" and gave a shrug when i asked him about advancing timings.

ALso would replacing the airbox filter element with a k&n element give a little more power? every bit counts Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Wed, 27 July 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A camry with a 1S ay, interesting.

I would say, running premium will allow you to advance your timing marginally. This will lead to more power, and anything you do to improve the engine's 'breathing' will help free up the rev range.

I imagine that your economy will be better on premium, usually this is the case.

But you need to be very careful not to advance your timing to the point where it is knocking. You can listen for this in say 4th, going 50 or so up a slight hill.

This is my experience and knowledge anyway and I have no problem being corrected Wink
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Wed, 27 July 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You sure its not a 3S-FE or 2S-E?

Even SV11 Camry's got 2S-E's
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Wed, 27 July 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In Russia Camrys had 1Ss I think...
Chisholm
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Wed, 27 July 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The engine plate says 1800cc, so it must be a 1s-ci methinks?
the car says "CS twin cam electronic injection" on the back. Then again I think the 1s-ci is single cam so it cant be a 1s-ci? Im confused Sad GOnna go inspect it closely in daylight tomorow.

How do I go about advancing the timing? Would a typical local mechnanic be able to do it in a flash?

Or i suppose I can do it myself, but I really wouldnt no what to do. Im reasonably "handy" and mechanically minded so I think i could manage it myself with directions, provided I dont need any special tools.

Thanks for the responses:)

[Updated on: Wed, 27 July 2005 07:15]

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Wed, 27 July 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
look at the engine, you should be able to tell if it's a twincam or not Smile

or take a photo for us to look at Smile
Chisholm
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Wed, 27 July 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK its definantely a 1s-ci on the engine plate. "1800ml 1s-ci 07/88" (oops remembered it being 89)

So how do i go about advancing the timings? Is there any benefit in tuning it for 98 octane fuel over 95? How much of a power increase should I expect? Even 2-3 kw is worthwhile..I need every bit Smile

Also Im looking into making a ghetto CAI..any ideas on how to do it cheaply with this particular car/engine? What if i just replace the filter element with a sportier version? What if i just disconnect the airbox and attached piping and just put a stocking over the pipe before the throttle body? Even if that would work im thinking it isnt legal?

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Wed, 27 July 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, they did actually sell a few SV21s with 1S-CI engines here. I'll be buggered if I can work out how they figured the 3S-FE was too exciting for some, but, hey... In 1989, they dropped the 1S and replaced it with the 3S-FC, still giving those who insisted on less power an option over EFI. You could probably pick up all the parts to do a 'conversion' to a 3S-FE pretty cheap... Oh, what a feeling...

(sorry)

[Updated on: Wed, 27 July 2005 07:30]

Chisholm
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Wed, 27 July 2005 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as a matter of fact, theres a wreck of a 1988 celica around the corner with a 3s-fe. It appears to be in good shape apart from the crash damage (definately written off). I tried knocking o the door of the house where its sitting but there was no one home at the time. It's been sitting there for a few months so im thinking the owner might let me have it really cheaply or it might even be abonded?

How much for labour would I be looking at to get it swapped? I don't have the time (hsc) to do it myself since i'd have to learn a hell of a lot before I would be confident about it.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 July 2005 07:42]

Chisholm
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Wed, 27 July 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No one can tell me how to advance the timing? Crying or Very Sad
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Wed, 27 July 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Turn dizzy as per a normal engine...
Chisholm
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Wed, 27 July 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry im a bit of newb, what's a "dizzy"? Distributor?

I have a reasonable idea of basic mechanics but tinkering under the hood beyond changing the oil etc is rather new to me (Im a P-plater on my first car).

Sorry to be an inconvenience, but if someonee could point me in the right direction to a guide or something I would appreciate it Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Wed, 27 July 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go buy a Gregorys Manual for your car/motor

http://www.haynes.com.au/images/gap%20244_sml.jpg

Chisholm
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Thu, 28 July 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually a couple of weeks ago I borrowed one from my local library but couldn't find anything on "advanceing timings" or similar, but I skimmed through it pretty fast. Will have a closer inspection next time round.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Thu, 28 July 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just look up and read the section on Setting the Timing.

Its probably under a Tune Up section or something.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Thu, 28 July 2005 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look for the bit on checking/setting 'base timing', it tells you how to loosen the bolt and move the dizzy - otherwise, why not offer someone a beer if they come take a look at it for you.
Chisholm
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Thu, 28 July 2005 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, I think ill borrow the gregorys from the library again and see if i can do it myself, seems a pretty simple/straightforward thing. Is there a specific setting for 95 and 98 octane? Or it a case of trial and error to see how far i can advance it before it knocks?
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Thu, 28 July 2005 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think I have the gregory's book if you want to buy it off me for $15... It's been over 3 yrs since I had the Camry... so it's not doing anything. However, I "don't" think the Gregory's cover the 1S-Ci motor but definitely the 3S-FC and FE models.

Basically, there "might" need to short something on the diagnostic plug (if it has one) and then link the timing light to the first cylinder spark plug lead and power the light with the battery. Start it up and then adjust the distributor (after loosening it of course) whilst checking the timing with the light.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Fri, 29 July 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are 3 SV21 Gregories books, and only the one pictured above covers the 1.8L

I am presuming that the 1.8L is the 1S-Ci
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Fri, 29 July 2005 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, the 1S-Ci is a 1.8... I guess I might have the later edition.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Fri, 29 July 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From memory, there's a book for the earlier (<1989) models that has the 1SCi and 3SFE, there's one for later models 3SFC, and one for the V6s (2VZFE). I think. Been too long since I was forced to look at a Camry Very Happy
Chisholm
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Fri, 29 July 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The one from the library was for both the sv20 and sv21 camrys, although seemed to cover the 3s-fe in more detail Crying or Very Sad

Probably won't get around to looking at it again for a couple of weeks since i have my trial hsc.

Chisholm
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Sat, 30 July 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On the topic of getting a little more power, would replacing the stock filter with a k&n one be worthwhile? Assuming there's a k&n element that fits my airbox, how much will it cost?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Running premium with 1s-ci Sat, 30 July 2005 11:07 Go to previous message
It will cost more than the gains you'll see.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ST185 Specs
Next Topic:T3 throttle adapter
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 08:50:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056478977203369 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.