Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » What foot do you brake with while steerin an auto?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tom210
Regular

March 2005
What foot do you brake with while steerin an auto? Fri, 22 July 2005 12:17 Go to next message

What foot do you brake with in an auto?[ 89 vote(s) ]
1.Left 10 / 11%
2.Right 79 / 89%

yeah i use my left so my foot dosn't die of boredom.
oh and my datto isnt auto
how bout in racing, anyone use their left into corners to trail brake or anything (auto or man)

[Updated on: Sat, 23 July 2005 11:39]

Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: What foot do you brake with while drivin an auto? Fri, 22 July 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you're not driving an F1 car, no need to use both feet with a slush box.

if your foot is bored, get a foot rest or teach it to sms for you.
DEA-L3R
Regular

December 2004
Re: What foot do you brake with while drivin an auto? Fri, 22 July 2005 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 22:40

if your foot is bored, get a foot rest or teach it to sms for you.

lol Laughing

[Updated on: Fri, 22 July 2005 12:49]

tom210
Regular

March 2005
Re: What foot do you brake with while drivin an auto? Fri, 22 July 2005 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it has a foot rest thats for when im not braking... Rolling Eyes
formula 1 using feet to brake? i thought that was all done in the pits, and the people were just in there to look good... im not weird am i, hey theres one other out there
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What foot do you brake with while drivin an auto? Fri, 22 July 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tom210 wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 22:47

hey theres one other out there

No theres not! That was me clicking things before my un-well brain kicked in Confused
tom210
Regular

March 2005
Re: What foot do you brake with while drivin an auto? Fri, 22 July 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
o well i'll claim it as mine then
cheers
DEA-L3R
Regular

December 2004
Re: What foot do you brake with while driving an auto? Fri, 22 July 2005 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't use the foot pedal brakes? just the hand brake Laughing

[Updated on: Fri, 22 July 2005 14:31]

Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: What foot do you brake with while drivin an auto? Sat, 23 July 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it actually legal to left foot brake? I'm sure if you did it during a license test you'd fail... and old farts who drive along with one foot on the brake (often falcadoor drivers) can't be within the law, I always thought.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: What foot do you brake with while drivin an auto? Sat, 23 July 2005 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Manual driver, so I left foot brake to stop my left foot from looking for a clutch pedal. WAY too many jerky stops when I've gone for clutch, and stomped HARD on brake-pedal in an auto! Confused

Oh - It's also ACE training for the monthly kart racing - compulsory left foot braking in teh kartz, so it pays to have the left foot sensitised to braking pressures & feel.
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: What foot do you brake with while drivin an auto? Sat, 23 July 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends if im chuckin some skids or not.
74ROLLA
Regular

July 2004
Re: What foot do you brake with while drivin an auto? Sat, 23 July 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, depends what i'm doin. City drivin right foot. Racing or at the strip, left foot. Country driving, depends what mood im in!
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: What foot do you brake with while drivin an auto? Sat, 23 July 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont use the "wide" pedal, just put it into P or R on that funny stick thing.

oh yeah, you made a mistake in your topic title, it should say "steerin an auto" rather than "drivin an auto"
tom210
Regular

March 2005
Re: What foot do you brake with while drivin an auto? Sat, 23 July 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shinybluesteel wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 20:36

oh yeah, you made a mistake in your topic title, it should say "steerin an auto" rather than "drivin an auto"

oh ok i'll fix that
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: What foot do you brake with while drivin an auto? Sat, 23 July 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have big problems using my left foot for braking, it just doesn't work right.. I end up putting too much pressure on and locking them up, not enough co-ordination in my left foot... (Although I work the clutch damn well).

Kev.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: What foot do you brake with while drivin an auto? Sat, 23 July 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phrostbyte wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 21:59

I have big problems using my left foot for braking, it just doesn't work right.. I end up putting too much pressure on and locking them up, not enough co-ordination in my left foot... (Although I work the clutch damn well).

Kev.

The reason you put too much pressure on is because you're used to pressing your clutch down all the way, straight away... Habit will tell your left foot to do that even if it's heading for the brake pedal...

Cars are designed for right foot acc and brake and left foot clutch or footrest... Have a look in Hiace Vans and so on, acc and brake are on the RHS of the steering column and the clutch and foot rest are on the LHS...
tom210
Regular

March 2005
Re: What foot do you brake with while drivin an auto? Sun, 24 July 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolla Boy wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 23:54

Cars are designed for right foot acc and brake and left foot clutch or footrest... Have a look in Hiace Vans and so on, acc and brake are on the RHS of the steering column and the clutch and foot rest are on the LHS...

Dude im talkin about autos, of course i use my right foot to brake in a manual, it when you have 2 pedals and 2 feet, its just logical, one each i think.
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: What foot do you brake with while steerin an auto? Sun, 24 July 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
always right, unless im being stupid and muckin around with left foot breaking.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: What foot do you brake with while steerin an auto? Mon, 25 July 2005 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i use my left for both manual and auto. it keeps the muscle memory in check for circuit racing. for people that are new to left foot braking,practice a bit somewere away from traffic for a little, so you get a bit of feeling into you left foot{unless your a left footer}.takes awhile to get it perfect but when you do, its a great tool for circuit,rally or drifting.
mick
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: What foot do you brake with while drivin an auto? Mon, 25 July 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phrostbyte wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 21:59

Kev.

A few years of driving for a living will soon sort that out, young Phrosty ! ! ! ! Very Happy

I've now got an automated reflex-response to left-foot brake in autos now, yet in manuals I instinctively right-foot brake still . . . whack! Shocked Funnily enough, if I know I've got corners coming up on a twisty road without gearchanges, my left foot will find its way over to the brake pedal in a manual . . . .

I Left-foot braked into the hairpin (at the dragstrip end) at Calder Park on the Formula Ford day - cos it was 2nd gear all the way through the Chicane off the back straight, under the bridge and into the final corner (i.e. the drift circuit). - I right-foot braked & heel-toed for the rest of the circuit......

That probably doesn't help anyone with anything - I'm just reliving a fond memory ! Very Happy
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: What foot do you brake with while drivin an auto? Mon, 25 July 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1) Don't drive auto's they bite.
2) Left foot breaking would cause you to fail license test.
3) For normal road use there is no reason to left foot brake as there is no reason to be on both break and accelerator at the same time.
4) Being on both the brake and the accelerator can't be good for the gear box and brakes etc. This is probably acceptable in a race car, but for your road car do you want to introduce unnecessary wear?
5) Resting the left foot on the brake is normally enough to cause the brake lights to be on 100% of the time, which gives following traffic no indication of when you actually plan to stop, this can lead to you being held at fault for being rear ended.
6) I don't think what you do on the street relates to the track at all, if it does you should probably slow down.
7) There should be no need to control over steer if you are driving sanely on the road.
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: What foot do you brake with while steerin an auto? Mon, 25 July 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Resting the left foot on the brake is normally enough to cause the brake lights to be on 100% of the time, which gives following traffic no indication of when you actually plan to stop, this can lead to you being held at fault for being rear ended.

are you sure?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: What foot do you brake with while steerin an auto? Mon, 25 July 2005 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use the left in the rona as I am scared of it stalling when I stop.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: What foot do you brake with while steerin an auto? Mon, 25 July 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keiichi Told me to use the e-brake so thats what i've been doing...
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: What foot do you brake with while steerin an auto? Mon, 25 July 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. auto's are useful for towing and drag racing.
2.yes but the people testing i wouldnt let near my car and they dont know how to drive to save there lives.
3.sorry grand dad,hence why there are fast cars in this world.
4.dosnt hurt gearbox or brakes unless you have a kia.
5.never rest foot on brake or clutch. its a bad habit.fuck the people behind you,its the pads,rotors and clutch that hurt.
6.the reason i havnt crashed is that i can limit brake and im always watching, that helps on the street.like anything there are only a small percentage of people that can drive like most people eat{im not talking cheque book racers im talking real racers}.talk to anyone that has ridern a motorbike on the street and ask them,how much it has helped there situation awarness.
7.oversteer can happen because of a cars power or becuase of conditions,like oil,fuel or camel shit.
mick
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: What foot do you brake with while drivin an auto? Tue, 26 July 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Squid wrote on Mon, 25 July 2005 14:42

1) Don't drive auto's they bite.
2) Left foot breaking would cause you to fail license test.
3) For normal road use there is no reason to left foot brake as there is no reason to be on both break and accelerator at the same time.
4) Being on both the brake and the accelerator can't be good for the gear box and brakes etc. This is probably acceptable in a race car, but for your road car do you want to introduce unnecessary wear?
5) Resting the left foot on the brake is normally enough to cause the brake lights to be on 100% of the time, which gives following traffic no indication of when you actually plan to stop, this can lead to you being held at fault for being rear ended.
6) I don't think what you do on the street relates to the track at all, if it does you should probably slow down.
7) There should be no need to control over steer if you are driving sanely on the road.

1) Well, DERRR!!!! Sometimes it's unavoidable, like when, it's at work!
2) Yeah? They suggested it was a good thing (if you know what you're doing) at the Jim Murcott's advanced driving course I did...
3) 99.5% of the time I'm only on one or the other - it just eliminates action/reaction time when getting on the brakes/throttle.
4) As above, both are deployed TOGETHER less than 1% of the time - usually only lightly when crossing from go! to whoa! Razz
5) Who rests their foot ON the brakes!?!? I "perch" my foot angled on the SIDE of the pedal-rubber, so that it doesn't actually move the pedal, or apply any brake pressure.
6) You don't have to be sliding to practice/utilise weight transfer and being smooth. Do you actually have any idea what's involved with driving something quickly?
7) You kinda have a point there - but I don't think it's as you intended . . . For sure, if you're left-foot trail braking with throttle modulating turn-in oversteer, then yes - you're WAY, WAY, WAAAAYY too committed for public roads ! ! ! I use L.F.B. to reduce UNDERsteer, mainly with the occasional mid-corner dab/squeeze.
Norminator
Regular

August 2002
Re: What foot do you brake with while steerin an auto? Tue, 26 July 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Mon, 25 July 2005 19:24

1. auto's are useful for towing and drag racing.

too right... also good for work where there is a lot of stop-start driving.

i never break with my left foot... if i did then i wouldn't be able to reach the wheel with my left knee to steer, thus keeping my hands free for more important stuff. Rolling Eyes
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: What foot do you brake with while steerin an auto? Tue, 26 July 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norminator wrote on Tue, 26 July 2005 13:36

if i did then i wouldn't be able to reach the wheel with my left knee to steer, thus keeping my hands free for more important stuff. Rolling Eyes

http://www.crayonline.com/smilies/wanker.gif?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What foot do you brake with while steerin an auto? Tue, 26 July 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bwahahahahahahhaahahahahahahaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahah ahahaahhhahahahahhaaaahhaahahahaha Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing where the fuck did you get that smilie
Norminator
Regular

August 2002
Re: What foot do you brake with while steerin an auto? Tue, 26 July 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Tue, 26 July 2005 15:39

Norminator wrote on Tue, 26 July 2005 13:36

if i did then i wouldn't be able to reach the wheel with my left knee to steer, thus keeping my hands free for more important stuff. Rolling Eyes

http://www.crayonline.com/smilies/wanker.gif?

Totally. I'm a busy guy... but i have needs, too!
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: What foot do you brake with while steerin an auto? Thu, 28 July 2005 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norminator wrote on Tue, 26 July 2005 20:33

Totally. I'm a busy guy... but i have needs, too!

http://www.crayonline.com/smilies/getaway.gif
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: What foot do you brake with while steerin an auto? Fri, 29 July 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice work on the Smilies - where'd y'all get 'em from? I don't see them in the "list all smilies" window . . . .

Oh - I was having a crack at keeping a minor brawl going here -

A little help please! Rolling Eyes

Very Happy
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: What foot do you brake with while steerin an auto? Fri, 29 July 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuck i accidentally clicked on 'left'

Laughing Laughing Laughing
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: What foot do you brake with while steerin an auto? Sat, 30 July 2005 10:30 Go to previous message
kingmick wrote on Mon, 25 July 2005 11:15

i use my left for both manual and auto. it keeps the muscle memory in check for circuit racing. for people that are new to left foot braking,practice a bit somewere away from traffic for a little, so you get a bit of feeling into you left foot{unless your a left footer}.takes awhile to get it perfect but when you do, its a great tool for circuit,rally or drifting.
mick

What do you race??
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:favourite simpsons episode
Next Topic:Who said women cant drive
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:00:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068590641021729 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.