Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » GT4-SOME !!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
GT4-SOME !! Thu, 23 January 2003 23:13 Go to next message
Heys - just got back from melbournbe -from test driving what could be my new car

a 1990 " AVO enhanced " St185 Gt4

All i can say about the drive is Bloody HELL! god are they good!!

Took it for a run around the CBD - and out along the freeway to stretch its legs - and and it floored me in every department

it was so smooth , cocomfortable , everything was in easy reach , the seats were made for me - and the car handled like nothing ive ever driven

On top if that thanks to a variable boost controller - 10 pounds of snail driven goodness gave me the feel for turbos - and im in love !

HEHE!

Overall the car was great - it felt like it was made for me .
Im actually stunned there isnt more toymodders driving these as well - i felt wierd hopping back into my old faithful ta22 - kept wondering when that surge of turbbo was meant to kick in * chuckles *
Now to sort out the loan and insurance Evil or Very Mad

[Updated on: Thu, 23 January 2003 23:23]

Send a private message to this user    
GEE120
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: GT4-SOME !! Thu, 23 January 2003 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing Laughing
HAHA, Another one converted. It doesnt take love to fall in love with a GT4 once you've driven it.

It looks like i'll be seeing you at the temple worshiping the GT4 God along side me on a daily basis.
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: GT4-SOME !! Fri, 24 January 2003 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HMMMMMMMM I want I want
But i need some money first
I think that is why not many toymodders driving them.
How much do kidneys go for on the black market nowadays???
GEE120
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: GT4-SOME !! Fri, 24 January 2003 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5 mill according to Packer
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4-SOME !! Fri, 24 January 2003 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gt4's are ranging from $7500 for a 165 - which are a good car indeed , 11 thousand for a 1990 - 1993 st185 Gt 4 in good order ( i found 3 examples under 100 thousand Km on the clock, about 22 to 25 thosand for a st184 Group A - then all the way up to 35 thousand for a perfect st205 group A

And yes - I liked the way they handled - and i Know they can only get better with the attention im thinking ( ie suspension brake upgrades , intercooler/ airfilter changes - turbo to4 upgrade etc etc . Mthe one i wants already had a boost controller put in , turbo timer ,heavy duty clutchplate and the more freer flowing exhaust so most of the initial work is done.
Alls left to me to do is a good set of wheels , a decent stereo setup ( though it has a stacker ) and a few licks of paint here and there to cover the odd stonechip, and of course - the suspension counter the understeeryness in cornering they suffer a bit from - whiteline have a package that will most likely grace it in the future

to be honest - you'll spend 8 thousand on a twin cam 4ag corolla - why dont we just save up the few extra and buy the 4 paw turbos instead of nannas hotted up shopping trolly

* just kidding guys - a 4agze is a goooood setup in those 'rolla's *

I think ill still Keep my old ta22 at this stage - and finish cleaning her up - I love the old girl - As much as its a pig to drive - its still mega fun in the hills - and has the
right " noise " and look for an old school monster 4
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: GT4-SOME !! Fri, 24 January 2003 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here comes the grumpy old bastard...... Shocked

My test drive of an ST185 left me feeling quite disappointed. I'm talking stock here, not an AVO enhanced thing. I really felt that it could do with a weight loss program, it just wasn't very fast.

The handling was crappy IMHO. I absolutely Skull - MadHATESkull - Mad understeer.... No No No
The chassis was awesome though. The stiffest chassis that I'd ever felt at that time. Still ranks up there with the best.

I think the handling was fixed with the ST205? Not too sure though.

Anyway, just my 2c. Let the flames rain down! Very Happy
GEE120
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: GT4-SOME !! Fri, 24 January 2003 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FLAMES AWAY!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

Nark, you are right the bog 1990 ST185 was a little slow due to its overweight nature but a very solid chassis. Keep in mind they built them real tough so that if they did happen to hit a tree or something they'd still be sturdy enough to finish a rally stage and not have a total loss in points the Grp A model that followed showed a vast improvement in weight and handling ability. Understeer can be cured quite easily with a really stiff sway bar for the back end, not the ideal or most balanced way to do it but nice and cheap to alleviate the problem a little.

A 3" exhaust system, turbo back and 10.5-11PSI boost makes a large difference to the cars performance. And youd be impressed with the difference.

The ST205 has a totally different suspension setup and most of the understeer is gone but being an AWD it still has a little.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4-SOME !! Fri, 24 January 2003 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Burn Nark Burn Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing the one i drove was very smooth - was firm - but not a bone shaker thats for sure

and they do have understeer issues - maily cause the rear bars too small and they dont have enough caster adjustment in stock form to dial it out .. Ill post the article i found from " fast fours " if anyones interested - Was a very good and easy to understand read. They also commented on the understeer issues - and described 3 levels of improvment to get rid of most of the sloppiness..

the whiteline kit mentioned supposedly solves most of the " issues " regarding the handling dept to firm it and balance it out

They are beefy cars - though having driven Big fords - and small Celicas most of my life i found them a good balance ..

it felt heaps less " nosey " than dads ma61 thats for sure , dunno if the ra6X's have the same long nose syndrome feel to it?

rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: GT4-SOME !! Fri, 24 January 2003 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71,

Mate, as long as your happy with it, thats all that matters!

People bag the shyte out of my Soarer, but hey I don't give a flying f%^& Very Happy She's my baby. Even if it does have a 7M in it.. hehe
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4-SOME !! Fri, 24 January 2003 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PS this one did have the 3 inch GORST pipe , running 10 psi of boost, and the fuel pump running at a higher level of voltage ( 15 or 13 constant instead of variable - performance wise - it would have spanked any big block v8 ive been in bar 1 fully drag spec XW , so it had the Go ..

Ill have to look into the lightening if i get it - dunno where to start though if i want to leave the interior as is ..

it doesnt have subbies - Soo - no weight loss gain there Wink

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4-SOME !! Fri, 24 January 2003 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RVrolla - 7m's are ok too Smile

id like to see my dad slot one in his ma61 - but that requires big dollars he doesnt have Smile

that car was made for more horsies Smile BAD toyota for not using twincams more often
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4-SOME !! Fri, 24 January 2003 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how do theeses raet against a 3SGTE MR2 ??
GEE120
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: GT4-SOME !! Fri, 24 January 2003 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The MR2 are much lighter so they go harder but i think they still have some unersteer issues due to being lighter in the front, but im not sure on that its just what ive been told so feel free to correct me on the understeer for the MR2
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon14.gif  Re: GT4-SOME !! Fri, 24 January 2003 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Fri, 24 January 2003 14:25

how do theeses raet against a 3SGTE MR2 ??

About 400kg and shitload of tail-out fun... hehehe

GT-Fours are great cars. But I love my RWDs. At the end of the day, it can just be summed up as: To each, their own.

GEE120 wrote on Fri, 24 January 2003 14:35

The MR2 are much lighter so they go harder but i think they still have some unersteer issues due to being lighter in the front, but im not sure on that its just what ive been told so feel free to correct me on the understeer for the MR2

AW11s and SW20s did have a bit of an issue with understeer (and sudden oversteer). More in the AW11 than SW20.

They fixed it up in the SW21 AFAIK though.

Manufacturers tend to dial in quite a bit of understeer into RWD cars anyway since they view it as safer than oversteer.

[Updated on: Fri, 24 January 2003 04:28]

jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: GT4-SOME !! Fri, 24 January 2003 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There aren't that many people that have nuts big enough to find those limits though......mine starts to understeer when the speed gets way beyond legal....way later than my ae92 or ra60 did.

Shocks/tyres/setup fix it. Same as most cars. Like Nark says, its nothing but compromise from the factory.

But anything with a factory 3sgte is good.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4-SOME !! Fri, 24 January 2003 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my nuts are pretty small now after the crash LOL...
Embarassed
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4-SOME !! Fri, 24 January 2003 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your looking for some quick n dirty mods for your GT Four aka All Trac checkout http://www.alltrac.net/...

BTW the ST185 Grp A Rocks....

[Updated on: Fri, 24 January 2003 14:43]

gtfourdreams
Newcomer

January 2003
icon14.gif  Re: GT4-SOME !! Mon, 27 January 2003 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mm... gotta love GT4's. IMO, the st165 is much more fun to drive. its lighter, stiffer and feels more rugged than the st185. the st185 is "civilized" Very Happy
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: GT4-SOME !! Mon, 27 January 2003 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gtfourdreams wrote on Mon, 27 January 2003 19:00

the st185 is "civilized" Very Happy

Exactly the same impression I got when driving a completely stock ST185 GT4 home for a friend. It's an extremely polite car to drive around, and day to day (unless you're really getting up it) you'd never know it was a turbo.

in standard form it felt a little strangled, but the obvious mods (exhaust, dump) would more than take care of that! Evil or Very Mad
GT4_Steve
Regular

June 2002

Re: GT4-SOME !! Mon, 19 April 2004 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good to see people catching on to GT4's.
If you buy a standard 4, splash out and put the lightweight Group A alloy bumpers on front and rear. This will take 60kg off straight away! (ever notice how having your mate in the car bogs you down??? how heavy is he or she???) what about a full tank of juice to add a damper to performance?? now tell me thats not the easiest mod ever, not ejecting your mates or fuel...the bumpers!

Like you'll hear from lots of people, the standard GT4 is heavy and until really pushed you'll never appreciate it. It likes being driven fast and hard and by f**ng golly it'll take it. It's not until you push the bastards to beyond their limits until you realise the potential of this fine rally car...it will never be a city street light drag zipper machine....unless you mod it or do the greabox ratio mod on a Group A hehe Evil or Very Mad

Having said that, they are quite easy to mod and make them haul ass and handle well. Outta the box the standard 4 handles like SHITE! springs, sway bar, shocks and a front camber kit will see it out handle a lot of cars and I'll do another City to surf cruise to prove it again...and that was with 3½ cylinders.

I'm am lucky to own a Group A but luck played no part in my descision to finally get one. They are much lighter, have fuel maps to 18psi, have better gearboxes, shifters, power, water to air IC. looks, water sprayers, standard Group A suspension was better, it's a collectors item, blah blah blah.

I turned my baby down to 14 psi now because my wife hates fast driving (damn handbrake! she had me fooled until the ring went on!!!) and it still cracks. But it's not until you get over 12-13psi before it starts to crack. Big difference from 10psi!

Another misconception is putting a massive turbo on it. Avoid the lag. The CT26 spools up nice and gives the right torque down low when you up the boost and let it breathe with headers, a dump pipe and system.

I do like the sound of a RWD twin Turbo GT4 though...I would predict a very stable and controllable drifter for sure.

GT4_Steve
Regular

June 2002

Re: GT4-SOME !! Mon, 19 April 2004 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Justen,

May I suggest an import steering rack for you GT4 UZ185 to reduce the lock to lock now that you'll be getting the RWD arse out more! Shocked
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: GT4-SOME !! Mon, 19 April 2004 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT4's r one of my new fav cars.. but new ground for my knowledge base...

Few Qs.
Whats does "AVO enhanced" mean and what mods are extra to standard GT4?

"Gt4's are ranging from $7500 for a 165 - which are a good car indeed , 11 thousand for a 1990 - 1993 st185 Gt 4 in good order ( i found 3 examples under 100 thousand Km on the clock, about 22 to 25 thosand for a st184 Group A - then all the way up to 35 thousand for a perfect st205 group A"

ST185 and ST184? Whats the diff? I know of ST185 GT4 Grp A... (I think)????

Are all ST185 Grp A's. Carlos Sainz Editions? If not what does the Carlos S. add to the regular grp A, other than ashitload of extra dollars?

How bad is the understeer in these things?

And SW20 and SW21??? Whats diff. (Guess I never understood so far the 1 digit variations in chassis code and what the relation means)

"my nuts are pretty small now after the crash LOL... "
What crash Les? When where and how? What were u in?"

"May I suggest an import steering rack for you GT4 UZ185 to reduce the lock to lock now that you'll be getting the RWD arse out more!"
Explain? What is so special about it and what exact modle is it out of?

Thnx for patience and my incoherent uneducated ramblings.
Ive been mainly spenging my time up until now on Rolla knowledge (which is still piss poor mind u).....
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4-SOME !! Tue, 20 April 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. AVO is a workshop in Melbourne... I wouldn't know whether they're any good as its not really local to me Very Happy

2. ST185 is the GT-Four... ST184 is just a celica AFAIK

3. In Australia we got the "Group A Rallye" in other countries they had the "Carlos Saintz" or ST185CS... ST185RC is also group A equiv of some country or other.

The GT-Four is also known as the Alltrac in some countries

4. Understeer isn't too bad at all (referring to Group A)... especially with the whiteline kit installed

5. Don't know... never paid any attention to MR2's

6. ?

7. Justen has an ST185 Grp A with a 1UZ (4L V8 Quad Cam) in it... Steve just named Justens car as per Toyota standards...
I have no idea how one could fit a power steering rack in as well as a 1UZ...

I too had a Corolla once but I decided it was time to get rid of the shopping trolley and let my hair out in a Celica Very Happy
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GT4-SOME !! Tue, 20 April 2004 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wouldn't the 1UZ celica be called a UT185 or UZT185 since the chaisis is still the same but the engine has changed.
Classique71 im confused in ur sig it says you have an st185, but you say you drive a ta22
I would consider a GT4, probably group A spec when i have the money. What are the changes between the ST185 and ST205?
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: GT4-SOME !! Tue, 20 April 2004 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Fri, 24 January 2003 14:41

AW11s and SW20s did have a bit of an issue with understeer (and sudden oversteer). More in the AW11 than SW20.

yeah the aw11 is somewhere between understeer and neutral.. then goes scary oversteer without any warning Smile kinda scary the first time you drive the thing in the wet.
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: GT4-SOME !! Tue, 20 April 2004 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camry_omega check out the original date of the classique71s post then check the date of whoever it was that dug this back up....
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GT4-SOME !! Tue, 20 April 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, over a year old.
That would mean he did infact follow through and buy an st185 GT4.
My bad, still think they are a nice car.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: GT4-SOME !! Tue, 20 April 2004 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was reading the post thinking. "stu's buying another gt4 and he hasn't said anything............. basterd!!" then i read the date and was thinking WTF!!. As for the aw11 oversteering etc in the wet. i've pushed my car hard and never really had a problem with it. Sure its stood out etc but its easy to catch/correct!
paul_c_2002
Regular

March 2004
Re: GT4-SOME !! Tue, 20 April 2004 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hey all. I'm kinda new to the owning a car life. I've just bout a 90' SX and was wondering what the best way to turbo/upgrade it would be? It looks great and i'm still improving it but it needs more guts. Would a GT4 engine work wonders? If so do i need to convert it to all wheel drive for the change over? Or a front cut off a GT4 (if one could be found) If not a GT4 what other options do i have engine wise? As I'm new to all of this a few pointers would be great!

Thanks
Paul

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: GT4-SOME !! Tue, 20 April 2004 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah the 3sgte fits in no probs, look around there are *infinite* threads about how to do this.

ive just found that the aw11 dosent really give you any warning before the tail steps out, and when it does its fairly dramatic. where just about all FR setups ive driven tend to degrade gracefully from word go where the MR handles beautifully up to the point it lets go then goes ape.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4-SOME !! Wed, 21 April 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camry_omega wrote on Tue, 20 April 2004 18:01

Wouldn't the 1UZ celica be called a UT185 or UZT185 since the chaisis is still the same but the engine has changed.
Classique71 im confused in ur sig it says you have an st185, but you say you drive a ta22
I would consider a GT4, probably group A spec when i have the money. What are the changes between the ST185 and ST205?

I thought Justen removed all the engine mounts etc. completely from the ST185 and created new mounts and modified quite a lot of the structural parts of the chassis...

I would still call it a UZXXX but since he removed the awd from it its probably more a UZ184 Grp A Rallye with a 1UZGTTE in it Very Happy

The ST205 has the newer ST20X celica shape and comes loaded with a Gen 3 VVTI 3SGTE...
Its a much better package generally but I personally think that the money is better spent elsewhere

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4-SOME !! Wed, 21 April 2004 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill respond in greater detail tonight - my lunchbreaks ended !
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4-SOME !! Wed, 21 April 2004 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am the proud owner of an early (no. 735!) ST165. I bought it because it is essentially a collectors item, and i didn't want my friend selling it to some random person. I only know of one other road reg'd one in Melb. In terms of comparability, there aren't many two door blown awd's of this vintage out there, the only one i can think of that comes close is the Familia GTX, which looks like a bit of a noddy car IMHO.

Though not perhaps as easy to extract power from as say an SR20DET, they do respond well to simple boost, intake and exhaust mods. The only achilles heel that comes to mind is cooling (engine bay gets very hot) and the stock computer (very limited tuning scope) but considering the unique-ness of the car, this is a small price to pay. It really is a mystery as to why there aren't more of them round, particularly now that import prices are so cheap. Your'e average 185 is basically the same price as a 165, perhaps one or two grand more!

The whiteline kits do wonders aswell...

Go the GT4! Smile
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4-SOME !! Wed, 21 April 2004 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok - Questions answering in its briefest hard hitting way:

AVO enhanced - My gt4 has had a few additions performed to it - ie the 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, HKS boost controller and turbo timer and a few little odd sods here and there .. It was stock from turbo back when i bought it - its now 3 inches from turbbo back.

St184 - FWD - 5sfe slimline body
St185 - Gt4 - AWD , turbocharged 3sgte widebody

As per what others said - the St185 Group A came out in Many different guises and name badges - See below - mines not a group A - its an Oz Spec St185 Gt4

SW20 and SW21 - Mr2's one got Gen2 motors like the st185 - the other got the better gen 3

What do i drive ? I now drive the mentioned grey Gt4 - i USED to own a red ta22 , now owned and loved by Jezz - whos tweaking it further again than what i had it - good one !! Smile

3sgte into A SX ? SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND!! Draza and WISo are two good guys to pester Wink

Handling in a St185 Gt4 - Stock - its good - but prone to understeer , and no where near as good as what it should be .

Ive cured this with a full " works " kit from whiteline - PM me if you want details .

Im also adding most of the better group A enhancements to my package to complete it - Im aiming on big HP - better handling , and brakes that make your eyes pop out ..

WRX's shiver , Evo's phear me ..

Re St185 Vs st205 ..

Allround the st205 is the advanced car - but its also rare and expensive to try and keep up with ..

When i bought my gt4 - i couldnt afford a group a ( look at the prices difference from my original post ! ) but ive still managed to get most of the good bits from the group A and build apon the gt4 package with a better exhaust , suspension , and engine - than a stock Gropup A has . The group A's are brilliant - but im still working to a trickled funds modification program , and Still - im yet to break 20 K for all the work + the car purchase.

Gt4's are undersetimated by the toyota community and the wider enthusiast communinty ..

It has what i feel the best 4 cyl motor ever built for power and strength capabilities + a timeless design for looks - coupleds to a near unbreakable drivetrain - all in a sub 15K package ..

thats ALOT of car for really not much outlay in dollars ..

no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: GT4-SOME !! Wed, 21 April 2004 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

[Updated on: Wed, 21 April 2004 16:12]

Beej
Regular

April 2004

Re: GT4-SOME !! Tue, 27 April 2004 02:00 Go to previous message
hey all......just bought a Grp A ST185 for only 16,990 with 3 months warranty on parts and labour and 3 years on my gearbox (yer like that'll ever blow). just joined the boards too so ill c u round. if any u guys are intereseted, u should join celica.net or alltrac.net celica .net has a fair few members and rapidly growing, and the guys at alltrac really know their shit

i run 9PSI stock, 3 inch turbo back exhaust, hi flow cat, K&N air filter (which is shit BTW ATM.....will be changed wen i get the warranty up and i can touch my engine personally) and a blitz BOV......believe u me its not slugish, and it handles like a dream......u can pick up ur average 185GRPA for 20.....22 is excessive, mine i was lucky i got it cheap coz the caryard had no idea what they had......no93 of 200 in AUS

185000 on the clock, 5 16" mags, new tyres and 80% left on my brakes. looks mint, was a killer deal

later
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ae82 bigport mods & times.
Next Topic:fastest 1g in oz
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 14:50:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0079360008239746 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.