Toymods » Tech & Conversions » help . ke20 diff and front brakes upgrade

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
16ive
Newcomer

July 2005
help . ke20 diff and front brakes upgrade Sat, 30 July 2005 23:18 Go to next message
hi everyone .

can anyone help me . ???? i'm currently starting to do project which is ke20 corolla with 13b fuel injected motor in it .i'm having bit of trouble with brakes and diff upgrade . does anyone know wat diff i could use i don't really want to get one cut down as it cost a bit to get it done on the gold coast ,or would the stock diff handle with a lsd centre. and can anyone help me with front breaks . thanks alot for your help and i will post pictures up when cars finished . hoping to run good times with t70 turbo and computer with the 13 b rotary engine

[Updated on: Sat, 30 July 2005 23:19]

Send a private message to this user    
74ROLLA
Regular

July 2004
Re: help . ke20 diff and front brakes upgrade Sun, 31 July 2005 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hows it goin'

Assuming you will be givin this KE20 a hard time at the strip, Std diff will not hold up as u are turboing the 13b, not even lsd.

You will have to cut and modify a diff if you want some reliability. Best bet matbe to go and get yourself a TA22 celica for parts, and use that diff and modify it to suit.

Then take the booster, front struts, discs and calipers etc.

There are other ways too, just do some searching on this forum.

p.s will this be legal in QLD?
16ive
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: help . ke20 diff and front brakes upgrade Sun, 31 July 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for youer help mate . well i had ca18det half cut for it but i sold that as i wanna run atleast low 11 . and i want something that won't be so hard to fit it so i though rotary would be the way to go if i wanted power what other ideas do you have instead of rotary motor let me know mate cheers.
74ROLLA
Regular

July 2004
Re: help . ke20 diff and front brakes upgrade Sun, 31 July 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some of the quickest rotors in Oz are ke20's! Its just not legal in nsw anymore. (car is too light Very Happy )

Do you want it legal and registered? Or just for the strip?

Here is one of many links with some other opinions
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=75681&start=0&rid=6630&S=8a6b95f1cb5 0289ffc376b68e266ac83

[Updated on: Sun, 31 July 2005 01:41]

16ive
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: help . ke20 diff and front brakes upgrade Sun, 31 July 2005 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer i want it legal as i will be racing it on the gold coast as i go street racing with my mates . what tim,es you think i would get out of stock 13b in in the ke20 cheers mate
bantech
Regular

September 2004
Re: help . ke20 diff and front brakes upgrade Sun, 31 July 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can I quietly suggest that it might not be a good idea to talk about street racing here.
doityourself
Regular

July 2004
Re: help . ke20 diff and front brakes upgrade Sun, 31 July 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Front brakes: Use RA60 Celica brakes. All u need is Struts, lower control arms and tie rod ends. Have the KE20 lower spring holder welded to RA60 Struts, use the KE20 top plate on the RA60 strut. I have measured it up b4 and the rest will bolt in. You will need to run a minimum of 14" and PCD will change to 114.3.

As for rear. Use a KE55 Borg Warner diff PCD is 114.3, fitted with a Boss Engineering (located in SA) Mini spool around $350 and when finances permit, buy the billet axles around $1000- per side.
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: help . ke20 diff and front brakes upgrade Sun, 31 July 2005 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doityourself wrote on Mon, 01 August 2005 00:11

Front brakes: Use RA60 Celica brakes. All u need is Struts, lower control arms and tie rod ends. Have the KE20 lower spring holder welded to RA60 Struts, use the KE20 top plate on the RA60 strut. I have measured it up b4 and the rest will bolt in. You will need to run a minimum of 14" and PCD will change to 114.3.

Is that setup applicable to KE55? Whats the rotor size on the RA60 brakes? Have a good one man! Oh and do any new brackets have to be made?
Thanks
Troy
74ROLLA
Regular

July 2004
Re: help . ke20 diff and front brakes upgrade Sun, 31 July 2005 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doityourself wrote on Mon, 01 August 2005 00:11

As for rear. Use a KE55 Borg Warner diff PCD is 114.3, fitted with a Boss Engineering (located in SA) Mini spool around $350 and when finances permit, buy the billet axles around $1000- per side.

Whats the details of this place? Last I heard an LSD was around $1000! I'm interested for later on at $350! Smile
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: help . ke20 diff and front brakes upgrade Sun, 31 July 2005 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Last I heard an LSD was around $1000! I'm interested for later on at $350!

The minispool (locker) is cheap because it is just the proper way of having a locker (welding is the bodgy way). They are not legal anywhere in Aus for a street registered car though.

My KE25 ran a shortened RA23 diff for a while, biggest waste of time and money ever, it lasted a while when the car was supercharged but once turbocharged the axles were snapping after a couple of hours. Lesson learnt: make sure your driveline is strong enough to meet your future power demands, doing things twice and busting weak crap is very annoying. Just spend the extra and do it right the first time.

Quote:

billet axles around $1000- per side

Shocked

I run a commodore 4 pinion borg warner diff, LSD (new), 4.3:1 (new), billet axles (new), shortened housing. This is well and truly strong enough for my car and any future power upgrades Very Happy
ke1500
Regular

October 2002
Re: help . ke20 diff and front brakes upgrade Mon, 01 August 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Word to the commy spec borg warner.

The guy at boss (highly recommended) shortened one for my KE15 for about $1000. (not including brakes or centre). Give him a try.
old-school-ke20
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: help . ke20 diff and front brakes upgrade Mon, 01 August 2005 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im using ra60 brakes on my 2tgeu turbo ke20. they are not a bolt in job. the bottom of the strut does not match up to ke20 steering arm. I tried ra60 steering arms and they are too big. So u will have to make a adapter plate to mate the two together. or u could put a bush in the ra60 steering arm so it fits tightly around the ke20 ball joint stud. Then your only problem will be that your steering will be out coz the ra60 steering arms are longer.

cheers justin

Im currently trying to find the best way of doing doing it. I will post it up when im done.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: help . ke20 diff and front brakes upgrade Tue, 02 August 2005 03:23 Go to previous message
Quote:

im using ra60 brakes on my 2tgeu turbo ke20. they are not a bolt in job. the bottom of the strut does not match up to ke20 steering arm. I tried ra60 steering arms and they are too big. So u will have to make a adapter plate to mate the two together. or u could put a bush in the ra60 steering arm so it fits tightly around the ke20 ball joint stud. Then your only problem will be that your steering will be out coz the ra60 steering arms are longer.

Looks like everyone with KE20/25's is doing different things.

My setup is:

KE25 struts, KE55 hubs, peugeot vented discs, ST162 SX Celica calipers. My KE25 struts have height adjustable coil-overs using Eibach springs and Bilstein shock absorbers. I am contemplating a revised brake setup but I just need to run the tape measure and calipers over a few more things Wink

I would consider the setup I have used to be pretty easy to do, the caliper bracket is from an RA28, simply redrill the mounting holes to suit the KE25 strut and bolt it on. I then simply drilled some new holes to bolt on the calipers. The whole setup looks factory as nothing has been made from scratch. This setup has held up on track days and lots of spirited driving (no brake fade at all). It has no probs pulling up from over 200kph either. A fairly cheap and reliable setup I reckon.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:To 18R-G or not
Next Topic:A/C Tech?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:33:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065360069274902 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.