Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What do I need to do away with the AFM?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
What do I need to do away with the AFM? Sat, 30 July 2005 09:49 Go to next message
G'day everyone,

Just wondering what you sensors you use to do away with the restrictive AFM on cars running an aftermarket ECU,

The particular motor in question is a 7mgte and the ecu I'll be using is an EMS DualSport,

Thanks all,
Ashlin.

[Updated on: Sat, 30 July 2005 09:54]

Send a private message to this user    
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What do I need to do away with the AFM? Sat, 30 July 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You use a MAP sensor instead of the airflow meter.

Cheers
Wilbo
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: What do I need to do away with the AFM? Sat, 30 July 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmk, how do you take the reading? vacuum line from the manifold to the sensor? This ecu doesn't appear to need a map sensor OR an AFM *shrugs*
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: What do I need to do away with the AFM? Sat, 30 July 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep the map sensor just needs a boost source.

how do you know it doesnt need a sensor?
the engine wont run without some sort of metering (der)
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: What do I need to do away with the AFM? Sat, 30 July 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol, well thats what i figured but there was no pin out for a map/afm, having said that it does have a barb for a boost line Razz

edit - here are the other sensors

- engine temp
- air temp
- TPS
- dissy/crank angle sensor
- lambda (though i don't think i'll be buying that sensor, too much $$$)

[Updated on: Sat, 30 July 2005 11:25]

BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: What do I need to do away with the AFM? Sat, 30 July 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll find it has an inbuilt MAP sensor.
You'll need to run a line from the manifold to the fitting on the ecu.
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: What do I need to do away with the AFM? Sat, 30 July 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
great... concidering the stock ecu is in the boot of an MZ21, though i know that doens't mean i have to put the ems in the boot it was going to make wiring easier Sad
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: What do I need to do away with the AFM? Sat, 30 July 2005 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kemicalx wrote on Sat, 30 July 2005 21:29

great... concidering the stock ecu is in the boot of an MZ21, though i know that doens't mean i have to put the ems in the boot it was going to make wiring easier Sad

huh?

Stock ecu is under the glovebox in an MZ21 dude!

As mentioned, just run a line to the ecu off the manifold.

In the boot in the MZ21 is the TV, audio and airbag contollers.
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: What do I need to do away with the AFM? Sat, 30 July 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh sweet, that'll make things easier Smile

You'll have to excuse my sketchy knowledge on the car, i haven't taken ownership of it yet, But as soon as the r154 install is completed i'll be picking it up Very Happy

When i went and inspected the car i saw that thing in the boot and thought it was everything, tems/ecu/tv/etc.

Thanks for clearing that up for me dude Very Happy
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: What do I need to do away with the AFM? Sun, 31 July 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will havinag a bov that vents to atmo mess shit up?

I'm thinking yes, because there will be a large drop in air pressure everytime I release the throttle
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: What do I need to do away with the AFM? Sun, 31 July 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
itll be ok with a map sensor.
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: What do I need to do away with the AFM? Sun, 31 July 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kemicalx wrote on Sun, 31 July 2005 10:05

I'm thinking yes, because there will be a large drop in air pressure everytime I release the throttle

Rolling Eyes no.

makes me worry where u were planning to connect the vacuum line that runs to the ecu though.
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: What do I need to do away with the AFM? Sun, 31 July 2005 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol gimme a break i'm only new to this stuff (though i learn quick Razz)

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What do I need to do away with the AFM? Sun, 31 July 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisellis wrote on Sun, 31 July 2005 10:49

kemicalx wrote on Sun, 31 July 2005 10:05

Rolling Eyes no.

makes me worry where u were planning to connect the vacuum line that runs to the ecu though.

after the pod filter and before the turbo... where else would you connect a MAP sensor? anywhere after that and the BOV will affect the pressure.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: What do I need to do away with the AFM? Sun, 31 July 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Huh?
After pod filter and before turbo?
How is that supposed to enable to ECU to see the real manifold pressure?
And if you did do it that way you would have problems with the BOV as you would be throwing metered air out of the system.
Putting the MAP tap on the manifold means you will only be metering air that is definately going to go into the engine and it doesn't matter what you do with the air beforehand including dumping it.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What do I need to do away with the AFM? Sun, 31 July 2005 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sun, 31 July 2005 13:53

after the pod filter and before the turbo... where else would you connect a MAP sensor? anywhere after that and the BOV will affect the pressure.

Errr...

MAP sensors need to measure exactly that... manifold air pressure.
So they always get connected to a vacuum line AFTER the throttle body.
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: What do I need to do away with the AFM? Sun, 31 July 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm ok,

so where abouts exactly on the 7mgte intake manifold would you connect it?

[Updated on: Sun, 31 July 2005 05:10]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What do I need to do away with the AFM? Sun, 31 July 2005 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, so maybe I was unhelpfully purposefully answering stupidly. blame working a sunday, and 7 days in a row, for that.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: What do I need to do away with the AFM? Sun, 31 July 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should be a nipple/outlet thingo or 2 right next to the idle screw above the throttle body. I'm guessing that'd be a good bet.
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: What do I need to do away with the AFM? Sun, 31 July 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers,

And if you hadn't realised Yian i ended up buying the dual sport you recommended in one of my other threads Smile Certainly was a good deal. I added up the costs of all the other bits and modifications the ECU came with (not including the ECU itself) and those alone totalled over $1100 Shocked not bad for $800 Very Happy
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: What do I need to do away with the AFM? Mon, 01 August 2005 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just read this thread again, sorry kemicalx never ment to offend at all. Also i read above somewhere that MAP = manifold air pressure, im sure MAP = Manifold Absolute Pressure for future reference.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: What do I need to do away with the AFM? Mon, 01 August 2005 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kemicalx wrote on Sun, 31 July 2005 16:48

Cheers,

And if you hadn't realised Yian i ended up buying the dual sport you recommended in one of my other threads Smile Certainly was a good deal. I added up the costs of all the other bits and modifications the ECU came with (not including the ECU itself) and those alone totalled over $1100 Shocked not bad for $800 Very Happy

Niceeee Surprised If I wasn't gunna get it, I was gunna make sure someone I know (or can get to know that lives close enough to me) get it .. so I can look see how much of a difference it made Razz
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: What do I need to do away with the AFM? Tue, 02 August 2005 02:51 Go to previous message
Yer, it'll be very interesting to see. And it *should* be very straight forawrd to install.

Apparently already tuned to suit a 7mgte, and the loom it came with although many of the plugs are damaged will be fine when i replace them with plugs off the soarer i'm getting.

So with the current tune it should at least kick over without too much stuffing about. Then once i get an exhaust intalled i'll get properly dyno tuned (no idea where yet though lol)

edit - oh and btw when it's all done you're welcome to come down for a spin Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 02 August 2005 02:52]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3SGE Rebuild or Not?
Next Topic:Decoding the stereo of a 1999 Rav4?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 01:38:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064048767089844 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.