Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » unravell the 20V mystery.....cos i cant. (WTF is this shit??)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

unravell the 20V mystery.....cos i cant. (WTF is this shit??) Sat, 30 July 2005 23:12 Go to next message
Just a couple of quickies, if anyone happens to know....

Im almost done putting a silvertop 20V into an AE92 SX seca, and have just about everything hooked up which needs to be (including air con).

BUT - there are a couple of things which have me mystified.... and i want to know dammit!!! Mad

# WTF is the "THE" sensor?? Well more to the point, where is it normally, do any other corollas/toyotas have it which i can pinch one from, does it have any "real" effect on the way the ECU behaves......??
.....from what i have gathered thus far it's the "evap sensor", kind of like a compensation factor for humidity/air pressure/air density calculations for the amount of fuel to supply for a given AFM output.

# WTF is the stupid VSV just under the throttle bodies which appears to switch vacuum from throttle no.4 to the engine side of the throttles (where the ISCV air output goes)???
It goes to an ouput labelled "EVP" on this ecu here... but on all the wiring diagrams i've got and found its labelled IPV or similar... wtf does this POS do???

The rest is very well covered and sorted... I think i did about 15 solder joints in total (5 of them chaning the air con compressor plug) and have all the wiring very well mapped out. I just MUST MUST MUST know what this other crap is.

Cheers to anyone that can help.

Send a private message to this user    
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: unravell the 20V mystery.....cos i cant. (WTF is this shit??) Sat, 30 July 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was going to suggest that the EVP may be related to the charcoal canister? And the THE may be the sensor for it (my understanding is vague at best, but I thought charcoal canister vapors were only sucked in when the engine was hot, and not under load?)

This may be 100% bullshite too! Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: unravell the 20V mystery.....cos i cant. (WTF is this shit??) Sat, 30 July 2005 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was thinking similar about that VSV having something to do with the charcoal can, but it just doesnt seem right... normally the charcoal can VSV switches vacuum that goes to the charcoal can, not something else Razz

As for this EVAP sensor ("THE" input to ecu) - well i can seem to find it ending in a plug ANYWHERE in the engine loom. It appears to literally go from the THE pin on the ecu and back around into one of the body plugs for the engine loom, suggesting that this sensor is from the interior regionals....

meditate on this, i will.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: unravell the 20V mystery.....cos i cant. (WTF is this shit??) Sun, 31 July 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only thing that the ECU could be connected to in the whole EVAP system is the VSV (TSV)...
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h62.pdf

This doc seems to suggest that teh "THE" sensor is just another engine temp sensor.
www.turbocorolla.com/tech/images/20v_silvertop_pin outs.doc
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: unravell the 20V mystery.....cos i cant. (WTF is this shit??) Sun, 31 July 2005 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hrm - methinks i need to more thoroughly check what vacuum ports this VSV is switching and ensure i have the correct vacuum operation happening. Damn 20V's and their excessive vacuum lines!!

I'm still stumped with this "THE" input.
By the Toyota ecu pin naming convention, all engine environmental temperature input sensors to the ECU are labelled "TH*", with the "*" being the specific engine environment temperature being measured.

eg: THW = water (coolant) temp, THA = intake air temp
so what does the E stand for??

... and dont say "extra valve"
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: unravell the 20V mystery.....cos i cant. (WTF is this shit??) Mon, 01 August 2005 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Exhaust?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: unravell the 20V mystery.....cos i cant. (WTF is this shit??) Mon, 01 August 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope. Exhaust temp is "CCO" which then has the output "EGW" for the exhaust temp warning light.

This is something else..... and what has me stumped is that this THE wire does not appear to go into the engine bay at all! It comes from the 26 pin plug of the ecu, and loops back to the grey body plug and from there into the dash somewhere.

Of course i dont have a frontcut here, so i cant just go ripping into things to find where it goes Smile

Anyone got an AE101 GT-Apex?? Razz
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: unravell the 20V mystery.....cos i cant. (WTF is this shit??) Mon, 01 August 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CCO is just for the catalytic convertor isn't it?
Wouldn't it be possible for the ecu to have another exhaust temp sensor closer to the exhaust ports?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: unravell the 20V mystery.....cos i cant. (WTF is this shit??) Mon, 01 August 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes it's *possible*, but there isnt one there Razz
I have the complete exhaust, primaries and secondaries, from the factory 20V setup... i've tested EVERY wire in the engine loom, and i've decided that it sucks balls.

CCO is the exhaust temp sensor which just happens to live in the cat converter. AFAIK it has no real effect on the operation of the ECU in terms of fuel/ignition control... it might do something when it reaches "warning" temp though.

THW and THA both have an effect on the enrichment factor the ECU is applying. Hence to me THE sounds like it would do the same.... thus my questions...
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: unravell the 20V mystery.....cos i cant. (WTF is this shit??) Mon, 01 August 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
calm down for fuk sake hehehe

its just engine bay temp

i have never seen a sensor for it anywhere on all the 4ags i have done

cco is for when the cat converter gets blocked

it measures tempo and when its too hi it then sends a signal diown the egw wire and turns on light in dash

irishtwincam
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: unravell the 20V mystery.....cos i cant. (WTF is this shit??) Mon, 01 August 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

# WTF is the stupid VSV just under the throttle bodies which appears to switch vacuum from throttle no.4 to the engine side of the throttles (where the ISCV air output goes)???
It goes to an ouput labelled "EVP" on this ecu here... but on all the wiring diagrams i've got and found its labelled IPV or similar... wtf does this POS do???

The vsv under the 4throttles is for idling up when cold.

On a 16v you have the mechanical water temp controlled iscv under the Throttle body. To add extra fuel during idle up thers a 5th injector.

Because the 20v has 4throttles it cant have a 5th injector.
So the ISCV sensor (i believe im right but admit I could be wrong) which i think is a variable resistor/potentiometer adjusts voltage to the vsv.
When cold, vsv gets lots of voltage, this causes it to allow vacuum to pull on the diaphragm connected to the TBs. This essentially pulls the throttle open to bring up idle rpms.

As the engine warms, the ISCV reduces voltage (cos its plugged into a water line in the block/head). this acuses the vsv to see less voltage which means it lets less vacuum past. Less vacuum means less pull on the ITBs which drops the engine idle rpm.

I could be wrong.

[Updated on: Mon, 01 August 2005 13:47]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: unravell the 20V mystery.....cos i cant. (WTF is this shit??) Mon, 01 August 2005 21:56 Go to previous message
mystery unravelled enough Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Water pump repairer
Next Topic:mulit coil vs distributor setup
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 22:36:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070819854736328 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.