Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » I want to buy a corolla, what to look for?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
isaac
Regular

March 2003
I want to buy a corolla, what to look for? Sun, 31 July 2005 08:32 Go to next message
Hey guys,

I'm buying a house so the MR2 has to go.
I need a cheap reliable car to drive.

I've been thinking about an AE82/86 whatever it is, front wheel drive corolla. I've got a few questions.

1. If i was going to inspect one, what things should i look for, all i know is check coolant for crap, take it for a good drive etc.

2. Should i consider a 4AGE if i want cheap on fuel and cheap to repair, or are these alot more expensive than a 4AC car? I don't think i could own a 4AC myself, but if it saves me money then i might do it.

3. When i get the car, aside from new oil, spark plugs, filters, anything else i should do?

Thanks guys, if you can suggest any other cheap cars that would be great.
  Send a private message to this user    
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: I want to buy a corolla, what to look for? Sun, 31 July 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check for rust, oil leaks, suspension wear in the bushes and shocks, also check steering rack freeplay, wheel bearings, brakes, tyres, service history (if any), and just go over the car and look for imperfections in the body for any signs of previous accidents and check interior wear and stuff...

4AGE would use a little more fuel, but there are many more 4AGE parts out there so would be easier to repair if anything was to go wrong... Also, I personally much prefer an EFI car these days...

When you get it, change engine oil, oil filter, gearbox oil, spark plugs, fuel filter, coolant, brake fluid, clutch fluid and so on...
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: I want to buy a corolla, what to look for? Sun, 31 July 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae82 is fwd, ae86 is a rwd corolla Razz

1. look for rust on the rear wheel arches, umm, that's all i can think of at the moment Confused

2. 4AGE!!! if you live in or close to a big city (ie. brisbane, sydney, melbourne), parts should be pretty easy to get

3. enjoy it! Very Happy
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: I want to buy a corolla, what to look for? Sun, 31 July 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the d00d was askin for more "corolla" specific problems Razz
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Re: I want to buy a corolla, what to look for? Thu, 11 August 2005 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want a car that uses no fuel, which you can't kill with a shotgun, get one of the old rwd KE series rollas

They might be slow in a straight line but they are indestructible! and cheap too
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: I want to buy a corolla, what to look for? Thu, 11 August 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would be my #1 choice for a small commuter-car...

Then convert it to 4A-GE!
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Re: I want to buy a corolla, what to look for? Thu, 11 August 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't like the idea of the old KE??

come on dude it's a mans car Razz or at least more manly than an ae82.

I owned one for 2 years and didn't spend a cent on it 'cept fuel and then sold it for the same price I bought it for, I now wish I kept it as it was the best car I have ever owned. I defy you to own one and not love it.

I refuse to let you buy an ae82 when there are plenty of good ke's for sale
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: I want to buy a corolla, what to look for? Sat, 13 August 2005 14:51 Go to previous message
which model are you looking at in the ae82?
not sure if the seca would be the same but in the hatch have a look at the gap when the boot it open, seena few that have a fair bit of rust there, its hard to describe the position of it, but its pretty mucha case of open the boot and feel around near the roof
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:entering AE86 in Targa tasmania
Next Topic:Is it just me or.......
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 15:34:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0039510726928711 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.