Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Noisy fuel pump?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Noisy fuel pump? Sun, 31 July 2005 22:50 Go to next message
How do you tell if a fuel pump is on it's way out? I've got 2 fuel pumps in my car, one is a facet to fill the surge tank, that's noisy and always has been, no problems there. The other is apparently out of a VL, and has always had a bit of a whirr to it, but I'm now noticing it a lot more, it's gotten a lot more noisy.

The car still seems to drive okay, it revs alright and all that, doesn't appear to be leaning out. Is the noise an indication that the fuel pump is on it's way out?

Also, looking through eBay (yay for eBay), there are so many fuel pumps listed up "to suit VL", but they're all different part numbers? They all look the same, is there a certain one that I should be choosing? This is to suit a small port 4AGE. I would assume that any pump suited to feed an RB30 should be sufficient for a 4AGE?
  Send a private message to this user    
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Noisy fuel pump? Sun, 31 July 2005 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a VL fuel pump on my 4agte and it has great pressure, you wont have any problems supply wise. Mine is a bit noisy, can be heard over the engine at idle (it's under the car too).

One thing to note is that VL, and VL Turbo fuel pumps are the same.

[Updated on: Sun, 31 July 2005 23:24]

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Noisy fuel pump? Sun, 31 July 2005 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well yes, I already have a VL(?) pump in the car, and don't have any problems with it at the moment. It's just getting really noisy, and I don't know if I should be concerned or not...
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Noisy fuel pump? Mon, 01 August 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pumps can get noisy if there's too much restriction in the system, especially on the inlet side. Check your filter(s) and make sure the pickup isn't clogged with crap.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Noisy fuel pump? Mon, 01 August 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that Norbie, I'll check it. IIRC there isn't a filter before the high pressure pump (since it comes directly from the surge tank), but there is one from the low pressure pump into the surge tank so maybe that could need replacing.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Noisy fuel pump? Mon, 01 August 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some/most? Pumps have a little filter sock in the inlet side of them, I know my low pressure pump does, better check that too (if it has one?).
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Noisy fuel pump? Mon, 01 August 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Filter sock? I think my low pressure pump has one, I'm fairly certain my high pressure one doesn't.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Noisy fuel pump? Mon, 01 August 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Filter sock
Cone shaped fine mesh filter, fits inside the inlet barb of the pump. My feed pump has one, high pressure pump doesn't. I just threw it in here as an idea if you are checking your fuel system for blockages/restrictions.

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Noisy fuel pump? Mon, 01 August 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when using a lift pump and surge tank setup, you should always have a carby fuel filter BEFORE the lift pump and then an EFI fuel filter after the EFI pump.

The lift pump can suck fuel pretty well, but they screw up REAL fast if they get anything coming thru the input of the pump. If you have ever seen what sits at the bottom of a fuel tank you will know that a filter is a DAMN GOOD idea!!

Note also: JE Camira also uses the same pump as VL turbo. Would be fine for a mild power 4agte (up to 400cc injectors) but the delivery and supply system would need to be near faultless and always working at full potential to avoid any risk.

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Noisy fuel pump? Mon, 01 August 2005 02:02 Go to previous message
Yup, I have a carby fuel filter before the lift pump, and then an EFI fuel filter in the engine bay after the EFI pump.

My 4AGE is currently stock.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Which weighs more - 1GGTE or 22RE?
Next Topic:Cant get full throttle
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 23:30:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050861835479736 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.