http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/pube83/102_0411.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/pube83/102_0417.jpg

[Updated on: Sat, 30 April 2005 03:43]

Send a private message to this user    
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Tue, 15 March 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just looking at the last pic made my captain salute in honour.
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Tue, 15 March 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh hell yeah Smile
Simon
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Tue, 15 March 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fuck thats awesome, cant wait to see more. Smile
bman
Regular

November 2003
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Tue, 15 March 2005 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks ace, love the convo's!
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Wed, 16 March 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh my....
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Wed, 16 March 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm, looks very tough.
forced_induction
Regular

August 2004
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Thu, 17 March 2005 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks heaps tough. would be very nice with a 1uz, or ijz....
Pube
Regular

May 2002
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Thu, 17 March 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wanted to install a 1uz. I looked into it but in NSW it cant be done because factory weight is under the 1101kg mark. I consulted a few engineers and they all gave me the same answer. I have also been thinking about a 1j but i have already got the 1G with a single turbo manifold. Havent made up my mind fully yet.
toyrota
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Thu, 17 March 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the old girl looks different now Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad
forced_induction
Regular

August 2004
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Thu, 17 March 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the 1j. its a bit different to all the 1Gs out there. although a nice big single turbo does sound good
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Thu, 17 March 2005 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love the colour dude, keep up the good work.
toyrota
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Fri, 18 March 2005 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the green was the old colour when I owned it it really suited the car. It would be good to see it painted the same again but it's not up to me, I can't wait to see how it turns out
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Thu, 24 March 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You've gone to all the effort of tubbing it and yet your only running a 1g with a single turbo?
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Thu, 24 March 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WOW the body is sooo straight!! looks awsome with the rear rimms sitting flush on the guards,thats all rotatr needed,well didnt really need but would have lookd nice anyway..
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Thu, 24 March 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also I think someone is being a little sneaky with the real engine transplant Very Happy ??
Pube
Regular

May 2002
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Fri, 25 March 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Original plan was just a tidy up and the 1G but things changed. Id love a 1uz but it wont be road legal and i dont know how i could get it registered. If anyone has any ideas or info on getting a 1uz engineered id like to talk. I could go a 1J which would be legal and i know there are plenty of hot up parts out there. I even thought of a camry V6 1mz/2mz but cannot find any info of a RWD setup. Anyone suggest other engines?

forced_induction
Regular

August 2004
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Mon, 28 March 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1J is the way to go mate. unless you can find someone who can help with a 1UZ engineering
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Mon, 28 March 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One of the 4x4 toyotas used the camry motor in north south configuration, not sure which one though, Hilux??. Would be cool to see one of these in a 23 with a roots blower sitting in the valley. Shocked
Pube
Regular

May 2002
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Mon, 28 March 2005 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you have been reading my mind. I have been researching engine combos lately and have found limited info on the camry V6. Since the engine will be running some sort of forced induction im restricted to a 2.5L. As far as v6's go there are 2 that i can find out there found in the camrys. There is the older VZ series v6 and the newer MZ series. In both families there is a 2.5L v6, but the newer MZ 2.5L as far as i know, are very hard to come by. However the older VZ series 2.5L V6 was found in the early 88-91 or so camrys. Still FWD though. BUT... the V6 hilux and 4 runners used a 3L V6 SOHC engine from the VZ series of engines. I also read that they used a gearbox closely related or from the same family as the trusty R154 but im yet to comfirm. At least there is some hope for a RWD V6 combo.

Also found that the camry V6 gearbox can be bolted to a 3sgte. So maybe the 3sgte RWD conversion can be used for the v6 conversion.

This is all i have found so far. Im going to be running an auto, maybe a C4 so a custom bellhousing may be the easiest option.

I have also been looking into a roots style blower for the V6. That would be so tough!!
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Mon, 28 March 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon th C4 is the way to go. Put a stage 3 shift kit in it and set it up for full manual and it will be a sweet drag car

Andrew.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Mon, 28 March 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I spoke to my old man (he is a mechanic) about putting a blown V6 into a celica. He personally doesn't like them cos the oil pumps aren't very reliable and has had to do a few rebuilds because of pump failures. Having said that, I am sure a better pump could be used and apart from that they seem to be a good engine. They would be a much better package for a celica than a 1JZ, but would require a lot of custom work.

As far as legalities are concerned, have you had the OK from an engineer for the mini-tubs?
Pube
Regular

May 2002
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Mon, 28 March 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I havent had a chance to have a look at a v6 yet due to the long weekend but i will have a look around during the week. Im not too keen on the 1J, i think it is too long and would still need to mod the radiator to fit it in and i already have a new fire wall.

I have had dramas trying to find an engineer that seems to be even slightly interested in my project. I want to get it prodressively engineered to make sure im travelling along the right track so i have a legal car in the end. The engineers i have spoken to say the tubs are ok as long as i havent modified the chassis rail which i have not. One engineer said i can only run tyres 1.5 inches wider over standard but the bloke who built them said the max tyre width on any street car is 10 inches, but i will have to talk to an engineer. Another engineer said call him 4 weeks before its finished and he will have a look at it. Its quite frustrating as they dont think i am serious but just another dreamer.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Mon, 28 March 2005 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the 1G fits in nicely, but I haven't seen too many 1J conversions that "look right" in my opinion, they are just a little too long for an early celica.

I used to work with an engineer that did car modifications and if you knew how many dreamers called him a day, you would understand their scepticism.

Find an engineer that is happy to work on cars that are modified to the extent you want and work with him on it. Most engineers don't want the hassle of highly modified cars.
Pube
Regular

May 2002
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Tue, 29 March 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Today i started phoning around the wreckers to price an engine. Im looking for the early carmy engine which is a 2VZ-FE which is a 2.5L V6. I want to get the 2.5L so i can run either super/turbo. However i spoke to about 10 wreckers and i only had luck with 1 place but the engine was in storage in a warehouse.

I did however find a 4 runner V6 bellhousing from a 4X4 wrecker. Even the the 4 runner V6's seem to be hard to find as well, unless you want to spend big bucks on a newer wreck. I got the bellhousing for $180 which was ok i guess.

Then i went searching for camry engines again to see if the bellhousing will even fit. I found one wrecker that had a few V6's but still had gearboxes on them so it was hard to tell. I tried matching the bellhousing to a FWD gearbox to see if it had the same mounting holes but it wasnt even close. But im not sure if the blokes at the wreckers were sure it was a V6 FWD gearbox to start with. It seems like i was going around in circles.

On the way home i tried a local smaller wrecker and they had a 3VZ-FE witout a gearbox attached. I tried the 4 runner bellhousing and it fits!!!! all the bolt holes line up but both the engine and the bellhousing have a dowl in the same position so one has to be removed. But i was so excited that i forgot to check the starter motor. Well anyway a bit of progress on a V6 RWD conversion.

Next i have to check out if the R154 wull fit on the other end.
Pube
Regular

May 2002
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Fri, 01 April 2005 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heres some pics of the engine bay. It has a new firewall and has been smoothed around the strut towers and all hole welded up. It looks too good to put an engine into!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/pube83/102_0512.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/pube83/102_0513.jpg
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Fri, 01 April 2005 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
holy crap that looks like it was alot of work, damn engine will only go and mess it up Confused
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Sat, 02 April 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow, that engine would want to be damn smick so it doesnt ruin the look of it.
81LOWLUX
Regular

March 2005
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Sat, 02 April 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very nicely done keep going at that rate and you will have a top show car and with a blown v6, holly shit Very Happy
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Thu, 07 April 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is awsome man its looking the goods.

Love the tubs and the tyres and those guards

PHat man real phat

forced_induction
Regular

August 2004
Re: Kyle's RA23 (preview) Mon, 11 April 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow thats so smooth. cant wait to hear whats happening with engine
Pube
Regular

May 2002
Re: Kyle's RA23 Sat, 30 April 2005 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the end after much research, trips to the wreckers, phone calls and dealing with dickheads, i have given up on the idea of running a V6. I managed to find a possible candidate which was the 3VZ-FE in RWD format. However this engine was not to be the performer i would have liked. Even with a blower, i still could not look past the proven power of the 1JZGTE.

Even though i already have a 1GGTE with a single turbo setup in my shed, i wanted to run an auto for he drags. The A340 i think would just not cut it. I found that Dellow make a bellhousing for the 1JZGTE to mount a C4 auto. The C4 auto is a proven gearbox and would handle what i want to do with the car.

I also cme across a decent sized turbo at a price i couldnt resist. I still think it is a bit too large for the 1JZGTE so it definately would be overkill for the 1G.

Anyhow, the build is comming along well and here are a few pics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/pube83/102_0523.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/pube83/102_0521.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/pube83/102_0520.jpg

The 1J with the Dellow C4 bellhousing
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/pube83/102_0528.jpg

The turbo for the 1JZGTE on the right compared with the T04 i bought for the 1G on the left
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/pube83/102_0525.jpg
Simon
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Kyle's RA23 Sat, 30 April 2005 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice update, its looking awesome dude! Cool
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Sat, 30 April 2005 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice dude, guess its a while before i'll see it on the streets of camden, woot another mad toyota to add to list the for campbelltown
pr*duct
Regular

April 2005
Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Mon, 02 May 2005 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome man!!

What did you use to tub the rears??
Did you use guards off an existing vehicle, or were they prefabricated by you??
toyrota
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Mon, 02 May 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this thing is looking unreal!!!! I would hate to think what this car has had spent on it over the years, 1 thing I know it is a long way from the $200 shit heap I brought many years ago,the first time I bought it.
I love it......I wonder what the chances are of buy it a third time Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Mon, 02 May 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If there was a car i had ever loved its this one, and its not even painted or anywhere near finished. Great work!

What are you going to do to the C4? shift kit stage 3 maybe? Those 3 speeds go had all day and not too expensive to fix either.
Keep us updated.

Stay classy
Andrew..
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Mon, 02 May 2005 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that is amazing!
forced_induction
Regular

August 2004
Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Tue, 03 May 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuck yeah that looks awesome. how nice does the cage look. good to see you've gone 1J as altought the v6 would've been different, i think the 1J will make far bigger numbers
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Tue, 03 May 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keep small children away from that turbo - they might get sucked in!

Nice work mate!
Pube
Regular

May 2002
icon10.gif  Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Tue, 03 May 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. She is turning into beast. When i first got her i was just planning a stock 1g and now i think i have gone outer control with my plans Razz Its definately not the cheapest build and id say i will be keeping her for a long time - sorry Toyrota!

I think im lucky that i have met a great group of blokes that are very talented and love building cars. All the body work is being professionally done but i have put in a lot of research to help make the build possible. The body wasnt as good as i hoped when it got blasted but they best thing is that it had no rust. The tubs were fabricated from scratch.

I am totally stuck on a colour. There are way too many fine colours to choose from. I think in they end, if its applied properly any colour will work.

Not too sure what is to be done with the C4. I havent got a chance to chat to performance gearbox builders. Im trying to sort out the custom torque converter first.

I will post more pics as i get them Cool
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Tue, 03 May 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Loving how this is coming along mate and I can see you obviously arent the type of person to cut corners! This is going to be one very unique,quick and georgeous looking celica..Well done!! Cool

Damn I wish I could weld Sad
forced_induction
Regular

August 2004
Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Wed, 04 May 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i reckon you should paint it a deep pearl/candy red. you dont see to many in red. i know of a TA22 that looks really nice in silver...haha
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Fri, 06 May 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I rekkon you could go a really outrageous colour! somthing bright or solid like that new toolbox blue the monaros are coming out in..Ill find a pic..essay
GZE-STYLE
Regular

July 2002

Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Fri, 06 May 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camden ay? Can i ask who's fabricating all these parts for you? I know a fair amount of people around the macarthur area. Maybe catch up one day?
looks tuff man, keep up the good work!!
cheers
Lachlan
bored
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Sat, 02 July 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It probably would be possible to get a 1UZ engineered if you are prepared to spend the money. It would require de-stroking it to reduce the capacity, which would mean getting a custom crank made.

(Think of the high rod/stroke ratio you'd end up with... that engine would be able to handle _very_ high rpm).
TurboRG
Regular

June 2002
Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Sat, 02 July 2005 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pube wrote on Tue, 03 May 2005 19:54

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. She is turning into beast. When i first got her i was just planning a stock 1g and now i think i have gone outer control with my plans Razz Its definately not the cheapest build and id say i will be keeping her for a long time - sorry Toyrota!

I think im lucky that i have met a great group of blokes that are very talented and love building cars. All the body work is being professionally done but i have put in a lot of research to help make the build possible. The body wasnt as good as i hoped when it got blasted but they best thing is that it had no rust. The tubs were fabricated from scratch.

I am totally stuck on a colour. There are way too many fine colours to choose from. I think in they end, if its applied properly any colour will work.

Not too sure what is to be done with the C4. I havent got a chance to chat to performance gearbox builders. Im trying to sort out the custom torque converter first.

I will post more pics as i get them Cool

Hi
I've been watching this buildup closely.
I have also most the same build-up going my self.
Here is a pic of my car
http://www.classic-celica.com/albums/album244/Picture_020.jpg

http://www.classic-celica.com/modules.php?set_albu mName=TurBoRG&op=modload&name=gallery& file=index&include=view_album.php
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Sun, 03 July 2005 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am not trying to offend but you should start another thread Turbo RG as you will get more responses Smile

BTW looks like a bit of a beast.
Pube
Regular

May 2002
Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Sun, 03 July 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A 1UZ would have been nice but to develop a legal 3.0L 1UZ would give me too much of a headache. If i had some extra cash I would go nuts on a 1J....maybe i still will one day Very Happy

Your car looks the goods TurboRG, just reminds me to go and start nagging my panel beater to finish my car off!!

Not much has changed for me, last time i checked my car was asleep on its side on a matress. It looked so comfortable too. But I think its getting bed sores so hopefully it will be on its legs shortly.

Oh yeah I chose a colour too... Wink
Petes76celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Sun, 03 July 2005 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wat an absolute beast this thing is gonna be cant wait to see it on the strip.
Pete
lobby69
Regular

January 2005
Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Sat, 09 July 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude....ummmmnn sweet Smile
TurboRG
Regular

June 2002
Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Tue, 19 July 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anything new with this project?
Pube
Regular

May 2002
Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Tue, 19 July 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went to the panel shop today and it was still on its side. Im starting to get annoyed that its not being worked on but the guy doing the work, works by himself. Hopefully within 2 weeks it should be back on the floor and being finished off!!!
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Wed, 27 July 2005 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what was the v6 worth $$$ wise you were looking at?

wish i could afford ya 1ggte! that'd be heaps for me!

gl

Nathan
Pube
Regular

May 2002
Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Thu, 28 July 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The easiest V6 conversion would be the 3vz which ranged from $600-1500 but the hard part is finding a R154 and they are expensive too.

TA-022 im guessing you bailed on the 18RG manifold???????? Confused

[Updated on: Thu, 28 July 2005 11:55]

TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Thu, 28 July 2005 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
still nutin out ideas ... but turbo 18rg is off the cards... too costly.

pm'd you bout the manifold... mrs wouldnt let up the cash.

now have a second job just to fund me build!

cant wait to see yours rollin!
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Mon, 01 August 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very nice dude.

Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Andy RA23
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: Kyle's 1JZGTE Ra23 Mon, 15 August 2005 04:18 Go to previous message
very nice mate. keep up the good work its looking ausome..
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MZ21 Soarer / RT142 Autocross Car / AE86 Project Sprinter
Next Topic:Brothers Toyota Corolla 2 turbo intercooled
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 08:07:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010463953018188 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.