Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
ke20 master cylinder upgrade Sun, 24 July 2005 06:06 Go to next message
Gday fellas,

I'm in the process of trying to nut out what i'm going to be doing with a brake upgrade to my ke20. Current plans involve s4 rx7 front discs (276mm), and i have already bought an r31 skyline rear end with vn 4.1 lsd, which is fitted with 260mm (overkill i know, but i'm hardly going to spend money to downgrade).

Now, my question - what master cylinder would be up to the task of un-assisted braking in my car, with minimal fabrication involved in fitting it (if any?. It would appear that the stock master cyl size is 11/16.

I've done a search, titbits of info here and there, but nothing particularly solid. Anyone got some suggestions?

Thanks,
Bardin.
  Send a private message to this user    
smitty1
Regular

July 2004
Re: ke20 master cylinder upgrade Sun, 24 July 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have heard that early Galant master cylinders will fit into the KE20 to give twin circuits, but I haven't done this myself yet. I am intersted as well, as somewhere down the track I will be doing a brake upgrade, probably to magna disc, commodore caliper and a disc brake F series diff in the rear. I'm just not up to that yet.

Cheers, Ian
ke1500
Regular

October 2002
Re: ke20 master cylinder upgrade Mon, 25 July 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have commy front callipers and R31 rear callipers on my ke10 and have a 7/8" bore master cylinder. The pedal feels pro. i'd get one of that diameter, and if you can fit it, run a twin circuit. Single circuit are scary.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ke20 master cylinder upgrade Mon, 25 July 2005 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I have commy front callipers

which model commy are they from?

Quote:

on my ke10 and have a 7/8" bore master cylinder

boosted or unboosted?

ke1500, nice 1/4 time Smile
Turdslot
Regular

August 2003
Re: ke20 master cylinder upgrade Mon, 25 July 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just bought a GB or GC galant master cylinder and am gonna try fit it. i think it is also 11/16 but is dual circuit.

so far it looks like im gonna have to drill two new holes in the firewall further apart and enlarge the centre push rod hole a fair bit. im also going tho have to grind down the edges a little to fit it between those gussets on the firewall...

i have a ke10 wreck im going to fit it to first. ill take step by step pics if anyones interested. not going to be doing for a while tho as uni is back and its raining everyday Mad

only thing i know so far is the brake lines have the same size thread and screw in easy Smile

i dont know, but assume ke10 and ke20 are pretty simular...

scott.
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: ke20 master cylinder upgrade Mon, 25 July 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info fellas, i'll have a thorough read over it again tomorrow Smile

It just occurred to me that i have an s2 rx7 master cylinder from my old car at mums. Its 13/16 in size. Suitable? I may even have the screw fittings to go on my lines as well (bonus). Can test fit to spare car first.
ke1500
Regular

October 2002
Re: ke20 master cylinder upgrade Mon, 25 July 2005 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
front callipers off a VB? Theyre just stocker single pistons, but they work fine on a KE10!

Master cylinder is made by NABCO and it's a single circuit.
ke1500
Regular

October 2002
Re: ke20 master cylinder upgrade Mon, 25 July 2005 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unboosted..
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ke20 master cylinder upgrade Tue, 26 July 2005 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice one ke1500, thanks for the info.

Whats pedal feel like? I am running a boosted setup at the moment but the lack of room means the booster is so small it assists very little any way (couldn't be arsed doing a remote setup). Moving to a master cylinder with no booster would open up a whole range of master cylinders that could be fitted quite easily.

Calculating the bore diameter of the master cylinder to suit the slave cylinder bore in an un-boosted application has always been my sticking point though.
ke1500
Regular

October 2002
Re: ke20 master cylinder upgrade Tue, 26 July 2005 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pedal is fine, not spongy, but it is also quite rigid i guess you could say. If you press hard no doubt at 150kph you could send the car into a 4 wheel spin, but at the same time, if grampa hopped in the car he'd probably say 'geez, those brakes dont work very well' - compared to his brand new over boosted piece of turd. Unboosted is not an issue providing you get the bore diameter right. stick with 7/8 and you'll be fine. My mates 1600 runs rx7 twin spots and soon to be R31 rears. Supposedly all the datto dudes run 7/8's in that setup and its fine. Im pretty sure KE10 & KE20 use the same master cylinder, so i'll try and find my reciept and let you know a part number. i know i had a btch of a time trying to get one that would fit.
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: ke20 master cylinder upgrade Tue, 26 July 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Appreciated ke1500. Is he keeping the master cylinder few the new rears? Its good to see someone doing a similar setup.
ke1500
Regular

October 2002
Re: ke20 master cylinder upgrade Tue, 26 July 2005 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He will be running RX7 4pis callipers @ front and R31 single piston at rear with a boosted 7/8" master cylinder.

Im running Commodore single piston callipers at front and R31 single piston callipers at the rear with a 7/8" unboosted master cylinder.
bantech
Regular

September 2004
Re: ke20 master cylinder upgrade Wed, 27 July 2005 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to jump in on the thread but I have a couple of questions if thats alright.

KE1500 - With s4 RX7 disks and calipers where there any other front end mods required for steering and suspension - or are they bolt on? Also is the PCD the same between the RX7 and R31 disks?

I'm doing a KE20 at the moment and can't decide whether boosted KE30 front end will suffice - or whether I should get more adventurous.

I like the look of the brake setup in this link (in the Cars / KE25 section)

http://users.bigpond.net.au/lachlan/

Thanks
Luke
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: ke20 master cylinder upgrade Wed, 27 July 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
s4 rx7 is 5x114.3

r31 is 4x114.3

I am currently ordering some DBA discs undrilled and will get 4x114.3 drilled in somewhere.

What model car is your master cylinder from ke1500?
old-school-ke20
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: ke20 master cylinder upgrade Wed, 27 July 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry to bud in but i had some questions too.

i was planning to use a complete strut swap to RA65 one. i will have to make a adapter plate between the steering arm and strut coz the ra65 has a much bigger face and the holes dont line up. would this be good enough to pass engineers.

another option i was thinking was to go to this place in glossop st St Marys. they do custom brake upgrades but the wanted $1500 for the fronts.

i have a pbr remote booster i was intending to hook up for easier braking. would this really be nessessary. I want everything to be engineered, so i guess it will help. the only thing is, it will make my engine bay look shitty.

What would be my best option?....does fitting rx7 dicss with commodore calipers require much mods. i would prefer what ever is easiest. or has anyone got info on how they done it?

cheers justin
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: ke20 master cylinder upgrade Wed, 27 July 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just for your information, any datsun strut (with the exception of 120y or 1200) will bolt onto a ke20 steering arm. Also same metric brake lines.
ke1500
Regular

October 2002
Re: ke20 master cylinder upgrade Wed, 27 July 2005 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
ke1500
Regular

October 2002
Re: ke20 master cylinder upgrade Wed, 27 July 2005 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nabco part number JB1033

www.powerbrakes.com.au is the supplier.

pay $1500 for a brake upgrade and you'll get a free certificate to say your a dumbshit.
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: ke20 master cylinder upgrade Sun, 31 July 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mate - what was the price on it roughly?

ke1500
Regular

October 2002
Re: ke20 master cylinder upgrade Sun, 31 July 2005 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$119
old-school-ke20
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: ke20 master cylinder upgrade Mon, 01 August 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks. i will go to the wreckers and see what i find
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: ke20 master cylinder upgrade Tue, 02 August 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke1500 wrote on Mon, 01 August 2005 08:58

$119

Sorry to keep hassling - whats the brief rundown on the work involved to fit it?
ke1500
Regular

October 2002
Re: ke20 master cylinder upgrade Tue, 02 August 2005 22:58 Go to previous message
elongate two aluminium holes by about 2mm each. Thats about it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2tgeu, turbo or cams???
Next Topic:1jz into vk
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 11:27:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066399574279785 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.