Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Fuel Pressure Regulators Fri, 29 July 2005 00:52 Go to next message
Hi guys, I need a fuel pressure regulator for my 1JZ now that I have a Walbro 255lph fuel pump.
I've been advised against Malpassi, and directed towards Aeromotive and SX instead. I assume they are rising rate?
I know nothing about fuel pressure regulators, I've just been told to get one that is dual diaphragm and rising rate.
Sard is another brand I have been looking at, are they any good? If so, what model Sard FPR should I get?
I can get Sard ones for around $200 on eBay, but no luck with the other 2 brands.
Any idea who stocks these cheaply?

Thanks in advance Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Fuel Pressure Regulators Fri, 29 July 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have also "heard" that the Malpassi rising rate regs are unreliable. But three cars with them and boost ranging from 13psi to 24psi I have not seen a problem yet. Nearly 3 years of use on one of the cars.

The other ones you are looking at are meant to be quite good.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Fuel Pressure Regulators Fri, 29 July 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ribfeast wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 10:52

Hi guys, I need a fuel pressure regulator for my 1JZ now that I have a Walbro 255lph fuel pump.

No you don't. RRFPR's are used when you put a turbo on a non-turbo engine and you're too cheap to get a proper ECU. Your engine is already built for forced induction so you don't need any such bodginess.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Fuel Pressure Regulators Fri, 29 July 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah you don't need a new regulator unless you plan to increase rail fuel pressure.

Which you don't need to do with stock turbos.

The stock regulator is fine, I run a Bosch 044 with mine.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Fuel Pressure Regulators Fri, 29 July 2005 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

RRFPR's are used when you put a turbo on a non-turbo engine and you're too cheap to get a proper ECU.

I am quite happy to be wrong or confused (and probably am Razz ) but EFI cars have fuel pressure regulators and forced induction EFI vehicles use 1:1 rising rate regulators? So regardless of the ECU a forced induction vehicle will always have a rising rate reg. Some notes below explain a little......

This was taken from http://www.mcbrooms.com/volvo/injcalcs/injcalcs.ht m

EFI systems used in charge-air applications work under a different set of operating parameters than those found in normally aspirated systems. Not only is the ECU typically programmed to dump more fuel during wide-open-throttle (WOT) conditions, due to the need for a richer air/fuel mix under boost, but the fuel system's rail pressure must successfully counteract the elevated pressures that occur in the intake system. The latter is accomplished by means of a fuel pressure regulator. A stock fuel pressure regulator is set to increase fuel system pressure by the same amount that boost pressure increases. Thus, if a system is running 8 psi of boost, fuel rail pressure will have increased by 8 psi, but only while the system is actually experiencing this additional boost pressure. The reason for this is simple -- in order to maintain the same flow rate through the injectors, the pressure across the injector (aka the delta p) must remain the same. So, if intake pressure has increased 8 psi, then fuel system pressure must also increase by 8 psi.

My Malpassi fuel reg is rising rate 1:1 so does the job of a factory unit, I fail to see how this is bodgy?. I belive it is easy to set the baseline fuel pressure with this type of unit which is probably handy when your car is nothing like factory specs.

In Ribfeasts case though you guys are probably right, he does not need any such device if his only change is to his fuel pump.
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Fuel Pressure Regulators Fri, 29 July 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll be running around 15PSI once the twin dumps and boost controller are in, since the car now has a higher-flowing fuel pump I assume I'll need to regulate its pressure?
Aren't FPR's designed to stop the pulsing effect that fuel pumps create?
If I definitely don't need one then I could definitely do without having to spend the extra cash.
Even with stock 10psi boost it still hits fuel cut on some cold nights. Eventual goal will be around 220-240kW ATW with the twins.

[Updated on: Fri, 29 July 2005 02:26]

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Fuel Pressure Regulators Fri, 29 July 2005 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Aren't FPR's designed to stop the pulsing effect that fuel pumps create?

Nope that's the dampeners job.

Quote:

since the car now has a higher-flowing fuel pump I assume I'll need to regulate its pressure?

Like Norbie and Skip said, your factory one will have no problems coping with that task.

Quote:

Even with stock 10psi boost it still hits fuel cut on some cold nights. Eventual goal will be around 220-240kW ATW with the twins.

I am not familiar with your vehicle but a new fuel reg will do nothing for this problem. This is the ECU seeing too much boost and limiting your fun by trying to save itself. Someone more knowledgeable on 1J's and factory ECU's will probably tell you it just need some sort of fuel cut defender or such. Or you have some other sort of problem.

[Updated on: Fri, 29 July 2005 02:31]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Fuel Pressure Regulators Fri, 29 July 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 12:21

I am quite happy to be wrong or confused (and probably am Razz ) but EFI cars have fuel pressure regulators and forced induction EFI vehicles use 1:1 rising rate regulators? So regardless of the ECU a forced induction vehicle will always have a rising rate reg.

Normal FPR's are constant rate, ie 1:1. So if the manifold pressure increases by X, the fuel pressure increases by X. This is what you will find in all OEM installations, whether turbo or atmo.

Rising-rate FPR's on the other hand have a ratio like 2:1, which means if the manifold pressure increases by X the fuel pressure increases by X * 2.

This effectively increases the fuel flow once you're on boost, which is handy if your engine management doesn't know what boost is and pulses the injectors as if there was atmospheric pressure in the manifold. As mention above the 1JZ is "boost-aware" so all you need is a plain old 1:1 regulator, as fitted from the factory.

[Updated on: Fri, 29 July 2005 02:40]

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Fuel Pressure Regulators Fri, 29 July 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Rising-rate FPR's on the other hand have a ratio like 2:1, which means if the manifold pressure increases by X the fuel pressure increases by X * 2.

Embarassed

Forgive my Friday stupidity Very Happy

It's always good to get these things clear in your cloudy head Wink
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Fuel Pressure Regulators Fri, 29 July 2005 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Excellent, thanks guys, looks like I'll be sticking with the stock FPR for now Smile
I guess I'll need a fuel cut defender to stop fuel cut, especially after I raise the boost? It won't lean out or anything I hope? I don't know nearly enough about turbo motors as I'd like Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Fuel Pressure Regulators Fri, 29 July 2005 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes it will lean out if you go too far past 1 bar. The fuel cut is there for a very good reason in the case of the 1JZ. Going past 1 bar with the stock turbos is asking for trouble anyway.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Fuel Pressure Regulators Fri, 29 July 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mines using the stock FPR
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Fuel Pressure Regulators Fri, 29 July 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The stockies will handle the boost no worries once the twin dump pipes are on, as the heat at 15+ PSI is what kills them. The dumps take that away.
My main fear is just leaning out at high boost etc. 1 bar is 14.7PSI AFAIK, and 15 PSI is roughly what I will be running anyway, so leaning out hopefully won't be a problem?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Fuel Pressure Regulators Fri, 29 July 2005 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you definitely max out at 15psi (ie the turbos never spike) that will be fine. The factory tune on the 1JZ is very rich so that gives you a bit of headroom.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Fuel Pressure Regulators Fri, 29 July 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The other day 1jz747 told me that a couple of 1j cressidas he knows of had issues with the standard FPR and advised me to get an aftermarket one. I just got a 1:1 Malapassi so I am assuming this is the same as the factory one.
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Fuel Pressure Regulators Fri, 29 July 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was yours rising rate? I assume so Smile The age of the stock FPR is the main issue, plus it will be pulling a lot more HP than stock, so the Malpassi or a Sard might be the go (or SX etc depending on price).

What are some good online aussie stores that sell these upgrades?

Thanks guys Smile
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Fuel Pressure Regulators Sat, 30 July 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine is 1:1 so that rises 1psi fuel pressure for every psi of boost. I think this is the same as the stock one. I agree with you though about the age of the stock one. I figure that it is better to be safe than sorry.

I got mine from horsepowerinabox.com for $220 delivered.
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Fuel Pressure Regulators Sat, 30 July 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome, thanks mate Smile
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Fuel Pressure Regulators Tue, 02 August 2005 00:24 Go to previous message
FPR necessary?

is it necessary to drink my own urine, no, but its sterile and i like the taste.

back 4 or 5 years ago when about 5 of us were running 1j's with twin pipes putting out around 200 to 230 rwkw, some of us had trouble with the stock FPR, we all preferred to be safe than sorry, a FPR for $160 at the time was cheaper than grenading a motor and forking out $1000 for an engine and the fuck around of changing it.

btw i dont drink my own urine.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:soarer website
Next Topic:Cressida Drivers
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 13:44:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068840980529785 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.