Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
AuthorTopic
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 10:54 Go to next message
g'day guys
just keen to find out wat are the difference between the 2JZGE and 2JZGTE..(obviously no turbos) but wat work would be needed to make a 2JZGE > GTE??
Cheers nick!
  Send a private message to this user  
The Count
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
put the 2JZ-GTE Crank & pistons add the turbs
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Swap a 2JZGTE into it along with the ECU.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should bolt right into where a 2JZGE came from, and probably work out even cheaper for you in the long run once you flog off the 2JZGE.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was thinking that! how much could u get for a 2JZGE
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most import places ask over a grand for them because they don't get a heap of them in.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm interesting.. how much does a 2JZ-GTE cost ?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD_Supra wrote on Mon, 01 August 2005 21:31

hmmm interesting.. how much does a 2JZ-GTE cost ?

upwards of $4500 for a half cut.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depending on where you get them from and what its out of. Aristo ones are usually cheaper, some people have even paid like $3500 for a front cut from memory.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 01 August 2005 19:32

Depending on where you get them from

This bit is important, as V8_MA61 pointed out, they are often more. That said, I know of someone who got a vvti 2JZGTE from a Supra with a V161 for $6k, and this was a couple of years ago.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would it be cheaper to buy a half cut for just the engine package...
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know of someone who paid $2900 for an aristo 2jz, and someone who about 6 months later paid $4400 for the same.

So it also depends on condition, km etc etc. Fuck all 2jzs are bought out here in cuts due to their being such a big demand for them in import complete supras which they make good $ for. also all the yanks get the 2jz cuts id think.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like an aristo half cut would be the way to go then! 2JZGTE powered MA61 !!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If said car also had a 2JZGE bellhousing with late model W58 that would be most preferable.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
na the reason i am talking about this is, BLACKSUPRA's MA61 has a 2JZGE in it and i am thinking about buying it and getting a 2JZGTE for it!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
which has the 2jz-ge bellhousing and W58!
perfect, you'd just need engine, computer and complete loom.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that is y i am keen... Very Happy then FMIC and piping
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this car seems ideal for the treatment!!!
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would it be a beter option to turbo the existing GE or replace it with a GTE ?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replace with new engine.

unless you plan to mod the shithousen our of it, then all you need is the block anyhow.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm i was thinking that aswell.. thanks for your help draven!! if i was to replace the engine... would i just need the engine.. ecu and loom ?
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And a way to get the dong's car over that little creek that separates you from him.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
more like me from the rest of u... na spirit of tas!
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had it suggested to me that the GE and GTE actually use the same crank and rods, and it's only the pistons that differ? (I don't automatically believe everything I read, but has anyone confirmed this?)

Plus, I guess I shouldn't mention what I actually paid for a 2JZGTE a couple of years ago Laughing
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think it would be better in the long run to put in a 2JZGTE rather than turbo the GE
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Probably would. The heads etc. are different anyway. I'm just interested in what the differences in the bottom end are, that's all.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm well i spose as long as i can pick up a 2JZGTE for relatively cheap it would be the best option in the long run!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2jz-gte vvti... *gets giddy*
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
please explain ?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I want one in my car, stat!
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh !! i see
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Mon, 01 August 2005 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Mon, 01 August 2005 23:44

I've had it suggested to me that the GE and GTE actually use the same crank and rods, and it's only the pistons that differ?

This is correct. The NA gets higher compression pistons and misses out on oil squirters, but apart from that the bottom end is the same.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Tue, 02 August 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 08:27

mrshin wrote on Mon, 01 August 2005 23:44

I've had it suggested to me that the GE and GTE actually use the same crank and rods, and it's only the pistons that differ?

This is correct. The NA gets higher compression pistons and misses out on oil squirters, but apart from that the bottom end is the same.

then that said you could probably run a low boost application on an NA 2JZ without too many issues?

the sprintor fags are doing it fine with turbos on stock 20 valves, why wouldnt it be possible on a 2JZ Smile

obviously you would need aftermarket management, but that combined with a good tune is definitely doable
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Tue, 02 August 2005 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 10:34

then that said you could probably run a low boost application on an NA 2JZ without too many issues?

the sprintor fags are doing it fine with turbos on stock 20 valves, why wouldnt it be possible on a 2JZ Smile

obviously you would need aftermarket management, but that combined with a good tune is definitely doable

It has been done numerous times in the USA with what appears to be good results Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Tue, 02 August 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Of course a 1JZGTE would also make good sense, and is one of the engines that car has had previously Razz
Beej
Regular

April 2004

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Tue, 02 August 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 11:03

Of course a 1JZGTE would also make good sense, and is one of the engines that car has had previously Razz

cheaper too
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Tue, 02 August 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
y did he go from 1JZGTE to 2JZGE ??? this is black supra we are talking about ?
dayzii
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Tue, 02 August 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was thinking you may want to get a R154 or stronger box when you get your 2jz.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Tue, 02 August 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bought the car off JAZE, who had sold the 1jz-gte separately. (if my memory serves me)
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Tue, 02 August 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh i c.. maybe a 1JZGTE is the best way to go then
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Tue, 02 August 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't you already have an MA61 with a 3 litre turbo engine in it? Stop dreaming and drive your damn car. Razz
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Tue, 02 August 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i want to own them all Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Tue, 02 August 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 10:47

bought the car off JAZE, who had sold the 1jz-gte separately. (if my memory serves me)

And that puppy is sitting rigged up at 82MKII's house...awaiting a home Sad
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Tue, 02 August 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 13:31

Don't you already have an MA61 with a 3 litre turbo engine in it? Stop dreaming and drive your damn car. Razz

ditto. fix the 7M with a MHG, get a good turbo and boost the shit out of it (thats whats planned for my 7mge-t into ms85 crown), they are just as strong if not stronger than a 1jzgte, and they have shitloads more torque!!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Tue, 02 August 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 16:03

they are just as strong if not stronger than a 1jzgte,

WTF? Not even Allan the crazy 7M zealot believes that!
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Tue, 02 August 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 15:33

they are just as strong if not stronger than a 1jzgte

what ever you are smoking I would like some please Smile
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Tue, 02 August 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stock bottom end strength thered bw SFA in it imo. The fellow who did my 7m and v8 bottom ends said he thought 7m was tougher bottom end than a 2jz...which i found hard to believe. Apparently the 7ms use bigger rod (specifically) and main bearings than the jz's. 2jzs imo no doubt would be stronger, but the 1jz made in the same generation as 7ms..god knows. I dont think anyone has tested how far they go before breaking? Having said that ive never heard of someone breaking a 7m bottom end unless you include big ends gone, of which ive also heard of MANY 1jzgtes doing this also.

[Updated on: Tue, 02 August 2005 06:36]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Tue, 02 August 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So your opinion is based on what some fellow said he thought about 7M's.

Meanwhile, years of experience by countless Supra owners has shown the JZ series engines are substantially stronger than the 7M in unmodified form. The first thing holding the 7M back (apart from the obvious headgasket issue) is pistons.

Of course if you start comparing modified engines it all gets a bit pointless.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Tue, 02 August 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my bad, the pistons on a 7m break at 500hp.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Tue, 02 August 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 16:59

Meanwhile, years of experience by countless Supra owners has shown the JZ series engines are substantially stronger than the 7M in unmodified form. The first thing holding the 7M back (apart from the obvious headgasket issue) is pistons.

still 2jz-gte front cut = $3500? im shure for that money you could have a 7m-gte that eats most 2jz-gte's for morning tea if you spent wisely
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Tue, 02 August 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 18:03

still 2jz-gte front cut = $3500? im shure for that money you could have a 7m-gte that eats most 2jz-gte's for morning tea if you spent wisely

but it would still be a 7M....
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Tue, 02 August 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 18:45

Allan wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 18:03

but it would still be a 7M....

here..

http://www.bigfoto.com/sites/galery/photos5/timber.jpg

build a bridge... get over it

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Tue, 02 August 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
awe diddums...

you want a kleenex?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turboing NA 2JZ Tue, 02 August 2005 09:23 Go to previous message
enough jz vs. 7m dick tugging bullshit

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic:4AGZE conversion - where to get it done??? help plz
Next Topic:Piston strength - I run an SC14 at 18psi on 4AGZE pistons