Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
y42005
Occasional Poster

August 2005
icon5.gif  18rg rebuild Tue, 02 August 2005 04:37 Go to next message
just wondering if anyone has info on the possible cost of 18rg rebuild. and also contact details of any recomended places for rebuild in vic.

thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
ra40coupe
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: 18rg rebuild Tue, 02 August 2005 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im doing mine right now.

so far.

new rings, honed the block, reco head, all new timing gears and chains, water pump, gasket set, seals.

so far im at about $700-$1000.

note i havent done bearings or chain guides as i dont ahve the money atm.

all my timing stuff cost $220 this conist of

5 x gears ( 2 cam, 1 crank, 2 on the axe shaft

1 x upper chain
1 x lower chain

ive rebuilt all mine myself at work. id say give yourself $2000-4000 for a rebuild by someone else

[Updated on: Tue, 02 August 2005 09:10]

brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 18rg rebuild Tue, 02 August 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
autobarn sell full VRS kits - not sure on the prices though
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 18rg rebuild Tue, 02 August 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am also doign mine at work

bore/hone/deck block
rings/bearings/full gasket set/timing chains/

head at porters getting full port job/guides done {difficult since they are SBC S/S} and seats cut

so far i'm at $650 Very Happy {and that including the upcoming cost of the port job} Cool
ra40coupe
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: 18rg rebuild Tue, 02 August 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

im not sure if theres much difference between an 18RG or 18RGEU VRS kit. does anyone know, as i got an 18rgeu i thought they didnt make 18RG ones???

[Updated on: Tue, 02 August 2005 10:12]

ra40coupe
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: 18rg rebuild Tue, 02 August 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr DOHC wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 19:57

i am also doign mine at work

bore/hone/deck block
rings/bearings/full gasket set/timing chains/

head at porters getting full port job/guides done {difficult since they are SBC S/S} and seats cut

so far i'm at $650 Very Happy {and that including the upcoming cost of the port job} Cool

how much are all bearings?? also what piston are u using?

[Updated on: Tue, 02 August 2005 10:01]

Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 18rg rebuild Tue, 02 August 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i paid $70 for my VRS last time, but then again, i get %40 off retail Very Happy

retail for $180 upward
customSA63
Regular

February 2005
    NA
Re: 18rg rebuild Tue, 02 August 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok well i have paid about $1500 to $2000 to finish it off but im obsessive compolsive and must have everything perfect lol.
and that was a $200 motor from ebay 18RGU converted to 18RG full rebuild.

cheers
matt
Smile
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 18rg rebuild Tue, 02 August 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, if you can do the work yourself and get the parts at a massive discount it's not too expensive.

Bearings from a general autoparts store will cost about $60-80 for mains and slightly less for bigends.
You'd probably want to rebush the small ends of your conrods too. I've played with two rods lately where they have just fallen out in my hands.

MrDOHC, the small end bushing of one of those rods you sold me did that, then the bushing fell into two pieces.
I was stoked, it saved me the trouble of having to press it out!

I made up a list of how much it cost my brother about 18 months-2 years ago. We did oversize pistons, bearings, timing guides and chains(not the tensioner slipper), all gaskets, valve seals, valve grind, welsch plugs. Basically all the normal stuff for a full rebuild. Didn't do any cogs though.
It cost about $2500 including the initial purchase of the engine and all the accessories and missing parts.
The rebuild cost about ten times the initial purchase price of the engine, that's a little scary really.
We did all the work ourselves except for the boring and the fitting of the auxiliary shaft bushings.

Mine is costing a whole lot more, but then the price also depends what parts you rebuild it with Cool
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18rg rebuild Tue, 02 August 2005 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You don't even want to know what my rebuild is going to cost. Pistons and rods alone will be close to $2.5k. Sad
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 18rg rebuild Wed, 03 August 2005 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I take it that some more planning has happened since I was last updated.
As you might remember, I was originally planning to go in the same direction that you were.
I've since rebudgeted to something more realistic for my income and something that will be more reliable.

Have you seen the thread about 550hp from an 18RG, it wasn't too long ago.

Celica RA45 mentioned that be had issues with block twisting, broken cranks and other such problems with 360hp from his 18RG turbo.

I reckon I'll limit mine to about 180kw at the flywheel for the moment.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18rg rebuild Wed, 03 August 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, my plans have become a lot more serious (or perhaps silly) of late, thanks largely to YelloRolla's involvement - he's actually building the engine. Given the results he's extracted from his 3T-GTE I have no doubt he'll build me a very robust 18R-G capable of putting some big numbers down. Neither of us know exactly how far an 18R-G can be pushed, but I figure there's only one way to find out for sure - open up your wallet and have a go!
Lachie
Regular

January 2004
Re: 18rg rebuild Wed, 03 August 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 03 August 2005 12:14

Yes, my plans have become a lot more serious (or perhaps silly) of late, thanks largely to YelloRolla's involvement - he's actually building the engine. Given the results he's extracted from his 3T-GTE I have no doubt he'll build me a very robust 18R-G capable of putting some big numbers down. Neither of us know exactly how far an 18R-G can be pushed, but I figure there's only one way to find out for sure - open up your wallet and have a go!

Thats what I'd like to hear, and with a deep enough wallet you could make some very big numbers indeed.

I'm a bit rusty on my 18R-G knowledge but didn't the 151E (16 valve race version if I have the model number correct) make about 1000hp when they raced it at pikes peak?

I know the 151E's they rallied made about 300hp NA...
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 18rg rebuild Wed, 03 August 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 03 August 2005 09:33

You don't even want to know what my rebuild is going to cost. Pistons and rods alone will be close to $2.5k. Sad

can u elaborate on the parts used, i.e. brands ect ect
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18rg rebuild Wed, 03 August 2005 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rods will be made by Crower, approx $250 each (custom spec). Haven't chosen a supplier for pistons yet but they will be custom spec as well and probably around $300 each.
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 18rg rebuild Thu, 04 August 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That 1000hp pikes peak engine would have been a 503 I think.
Highest I've heared from a 152 was 550hp. I'm sure that more has been made though.

There is a MA61 drag car in Finland (I think) that is running 900hp from an 18RG 8 valve.

It has run a 7.61sec. quarter mile.

http://www.saunalahti.fi/~elomika/Kuvat2001/Kuva2. JPG

I'd like to know if they have any issues with warping the block under power.
customSA63
Regular

February 2005
    NA
Re: 18rg rebuild Thu, 04 August 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i remember the good old 18RG 1000HP custom 16v Head i didnt know they were used at pikes peak. rod mullen didnt have it in his car did he??? i know that the Euro champ cars used to have them in the celicas and coronas the 16V was VERY VERY popular 15 20 years ago in Europe.
it would be great to get ahold of one over here lol but im sure they wouldnt come cheap.
i think some guys still use them in privater racers in europe as they are a good reliable motor.

cheers
matt
Smile
Lachie
Regular

January 2004
Re: 18rg rebuild Fri, 05 August 2005 06:59 Go to previous message
Yeah I think it was the 503 that was making 1000hp, if you guys want more info on the 16v 18R-G read the article's on www.toysport.com theres some interesting stuff there
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Hilux 7M conversion
Next Topic:AE92 coil-overs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 19:31:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062229633331299 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.