Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » BIG END BEARING (with pics now)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
BIG END BEARING (with pics now) Sat, 30 July 2005 07:14 Go to next message
hi i just recently found out my big end bearing in my 3S-GE is fudged.

just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if they could give me some advice on what to do. and how much (roughly) it will cost to get this fixed.

[Updated on: Sun, 31 July 2005 07:38]

Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: BIG END BEARING Sat, 30 July 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the motor making that dreaded knocking sound?
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: BIG END BEARING Sat, 30 July 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wouldnt call it a common problem in the 3sge engine depends how its been treated, fix it before it completely goes and youll be up for a full rebuild maybe a whole new engine you could be up for a whole rebuild anyway. 3sgte time Razz
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: BIG END BEARING Sat, 30 July 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah is making the dreaded knocking sound... but hopefully i'll get away with doing a WHOLE rebuild, maybe just bottom, depends how bad the damage is really.

will find out tomorrowwhen i pull the sump off really,

shit happens but.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: BIG END BEARING Sat, 30 July 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pulling the sump off won't tell you much of the story regarding how much you need to rebuild. If your big end bearing has gone then chances are you have either had an oil surge problem (ie running low on oil) or your oil pump has stuffed itself. Regardless of the case you are going to have to be pretty thorough if you want to be sure that you haven't stuffed up other parts of the engine.

Also - if you are 100% certain that it's big end bearings (the sound is quite distinct) then don't bother pulling off the sump, just take the whole engine out - because you'll have to dick around with taking the head off etc anyway (rods/pistons don't come out the bottom i'm afraid!)

Seriously - in 1st gen 3S-GE's (and GTEs) this is an extremely common problem! I'm currently rebuilding a 1st gen 3S-GTE that has suffered this fate, and am pondering what to do with another 1st gen 3S-GE that has also suffered this fate!
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: BIG END BEARING Sat, 30 July 2005 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your fixing the problem now can you roughly tell me how easy and how much money it is costing you to do all this.

been reading the 3S-ge rebuild or not thread aswell as i'm pretty much in same boat and i'm kinda looking for cheapest way outa this situation

i wouldnt be doing alot of the work myself as i know jack all bout the cars (thank god for the haynes manual) but i've got someone lined up who's a great mechanic and is really really cheap (works from home)

but i suppose i cant get a real price till i know exactly whats wrong. but a freind showed me this trick where he took spark plug out, put a piece of metal on piston and pushed down and the piston dropped down with a distinct clunk (noise the engine makes when it revs)

but yes all this came about because of lack of oil in the car due to my inacurate dipstick saying the engine has to much oil when it has about 3/4 of a litre

really like to hear from you RWDboy especially if your going through same thing
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: BIG END BEARING Sat, 30 July 2005 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well sounds like you've got a pretty extreme case....my GT4 went bang with 2.5 litres of oil (I was going around a hard right corner I think when it went kaput)

First thing you need to figure out is *how* your car lost so much oil - is it leaking (rear main seals), burning (head gasket/valve stems), blow-by (rings), other (???) ?

Once you have that one figured out - you will have to repair what has been damaged by the big end failure, as well as fix what is causing the oil consumption.

It's pretty likely you'll have to resize the conrods, machine the crank journals (or replace), replace the big-end bearings for sure, check the main crankshaft bearings (replace and machine the crankshaft mains as necessary), while you are down there replace the rod bolts (it's considered a big no-no in my books to re-use them as this is very well what may have caused my 3S-GE to die!).

Here's prices for Clevite 77 bearings (ACL is another good option but I am going to try the Clevite's for my 3S-GTE - same price for 3S-GEs I'm fairly certain)

Conrod +.010 $77.00/std $50.60
Main Bearing +.020 $54.89/std $53.80
Thrust Washers std $9.90

The machining costs? No idea yet, will be taking the stuff around in the next week or so - anywhere between $200 and $400 wouldn't surprise me.

ARP rod bolts go for about $120 I think? Bit of an 'upper limit' price there.

So really you are looking at somewhere around $600ish to repair the crankshaft, plus a few seals and whatever else needs doing (re-ringing, honing, oil pump seals, valve stem seals etc could all come into play). Doing any or all of those could easily see the cost blow out to $1000 or more. This is ignoring the labour cost of dropping the engine out and dismantling it, and the re-assembly (which you may or may not have to shell out for).

The ST165 3S-GTE is really painful to work on - just getting it out of the car has proved to be a norse epic of a tale! The ST162 is much easier to deal with but still not the easiest car to work on ever.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: BIG END BEARING Sun, 31 July 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok pulled sump off and all that shit today

and found out that this old mate crank (circled in red) is quite stuffed

http://img346.imageshack.us/img346/9479/engine15vu.jpg

and the bearing and case is also stuffed aswell there ment to be really smooth but now there rough as $1 toilet paper

http://img346.imageshack.us/img346/7421/engine23if.jpg
http://img346.imageshack.us/img346/7078/engine35qs.jpg

so the crank is gonna need machineing most likely and gonna have to put new bearings in.

the worst part is i need to pull engine out and i dont have an engine hoist and i'm trying to track one down...if anyone in newcastle central coast way wants to help me out or know where i can borrow/hire one would be good

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: BIG END BEARING (with pics now) Sun, 31 July 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hire one! or block and tackle.if i can see the score marks in that pic etc like i can its going to need a grind and new bearings. take the engine out and do it properly. there is a honda civic{b16}turbo motor i had to fix,the company and i wont say there name,but lets say, there known for there online performance selling,did a rebuild and charged $7k and the block stayed in the car the whole time,even put cast pistons in.
mick
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: BIG END BEARING (with pics now) Sun, 31 July 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah definatly gonna pull engine out, can replace few other things while its out, timing belt etc...

does anyone know how hard it is to get that crank out once i have motor out of the car, i have the haynes manual might have to do some studying on it.

this might sound wierd but does anyone have a pic of the dipstick outa 3S-GE as i dont think mines right .... whole reason i'm in this dam situation

berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: BIG END BEARING (with pics now) Sun, 31 July 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer block and tackle is the money like 100 bucks from supercheap 2500kg one no way youll break that one i dont and i use it quiet often lol
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: BIG END BEARING (with pics now) Sun, 31 July 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like the shell has spun in the rod , If so the rod will need resizing also .

Trevor
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: BIG END BEARING (with pics now) Sun, 31 July 2005 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
apperantly repco and places hire out hoist's at pretty good rates.

what do you mean the rod has spun, witch part is the rod. probably wont know all the damage till engine comes out.

thanks for all the help though...keep it coming
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: BIG END BEARING (with pics now) Sun, 31 July 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The conrod is what connects the piston to the crankshaft. The rods will probably have to be resized as it looks like the bearing has 'turned' in it's place in the bearing-cap/rod. They are supposed to stay in one spot.

Typical 3S-GE - it's the #1 big-end bearing every time! (well almost every time)
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: BIG END BEARING (with pics now) Tue, 02 August 2005 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i've got some prices on engines and all that

central caost auto dismantlers
$770 180,000k's 6 month warranty
-------------------------------------------------- ----
central coast engineering
crank 150 con rods 30 each bearing 150
gasket 200 rings 100
thats assuming thats all thats wrong with it

total rebuild 2200
all jap spares
$880 98,000k's like new motor 6 month warranty
this is the one i'm considering
-------------------------------------------------- ---
maddan engines
2200 for a reconditioned motor
1150 for import with less then 50,00k's 6 month warranty

ust wondering if witch would be best option to go with as i'm quite poor (as most teenagers are) and i cant afford a total rebuild.

my main concearn with just replacing crank bearings etc is that these things mighten be only things wrong with me engine

any advice??
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: BIG END BEARING (with pics now) Tue, 02 August 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havabeer wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 15:07

ok i've got some prices on engines and all that

central caost auto dismantlers
$770 180,000k's 6 month warranty
central coast engineering
crank 150 con rods 30 each bearing 150
gasket 200 rings 100
thats assuming thats all thats wrong with it

total rebuild 2200
all jap spares
$880 98,000k's like new motor 6 month warranty
this is the one i'm considering
-------------------------------------------------- ---
maddan engines
2200 for a reconditioned motor
1150 for import with less then 50,00k's 6 month warranty

ust wondering if witch would be best option to go with as i'm quite poor (as most teenagers are) and i cant afford a total rebuild.

my main concearn with just replacing crank bearings etc is that these things mighten be only things wrong with me engine

any advice??

Sounds a bit expensive some of those figures...
$2200 For a reconditioned motor? Hmmmm U could get ur engine rebuilt for less than that i reckon... The import JDM engines have a bit more ZAZZ with 117kw, worth it even if it costs a bit more for the power increase. Only issue is you would HAVE to run optimax due to the advanced timing and fuel map which the jdm ecu runs!!!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: BIG END BEARING (with pics now) Tue, 02 August 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havabeer wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 15:07

any advice??

start saving pennies and learn to rebuild motors yourself (of course you still farm out the machine work). maybe time for another night job? $2K doesn't take that long to earn...
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: BIG END BEARING (with pics now) Tue, 02 August 2005 13:06 Go to previous message
Yeah what he said
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE92 - 3SGTE or 4AGZE
Next Topic:1jz wiring
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 14:19:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078661441802979 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.