Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Bonnet Scope (for cold air intake)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Bonnet Scope (for cold air intake) Sat, 25 January 2003 11:16 Go to next message
I have a 1988 SX Celica and i have K&N pod filter bolted striaght off the AFM bettween the battary and left strut tower. This is not blocked off fromt he rest of the engine bay (yes very bad thing me know, high intake temps and incresed chance of detonation). I will close it off with some sheet metal/aliminamum. But i wont to put a cosworth sierra extractors(bonnets vent) to get cool air right in the sealed (soon to be) area that the K&N pod filter is in. or a NACA scoop. My question is that if i use these scoops will the rain water when driving along in the rain, will the water fuck the filter and go into the engine and fuck that too. I'm guessing it it would but i want some opinions.

Thanks

Nezza Cool
  Send a private message to this user    
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Bonnet Scope (for cold air intake) Sat, 25 January 2003 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from memory, i could be wromg, but isnt there a hold coming up from the inner gaurde just where the batterey and filter sit, or is that just in the corollas, if so then you can just run a pipe straped underneath straight up into the bottom of the filter.
JUZZO
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: Bonnet Scope (for cold air intake) Sat, 25 January 2003 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
umm htere is a shity pipe that comes from behind the head light (don't look like it get much cold air (forced)). And i can sort of get a pipe fromt eh front bumper to it, but is goes right near all stuff hot and is not very direct and also could only get maybe a 2in pipe through there. and i can't cut through the area the box bolted to, to get a more directed air pipe going because their is some heavy metal and couldn't be fucked.

I know that if ya have a custom cold air pipe from the air (i don't got it now because of the pod filter) and the pipe goes to the bumper, u have to watch for the big puddles so it don't fill the box with water. But i don't think the water from the rain going through the planed bonnet scoops will be engough to harm the filter and engine. Thats my question, the posible water from rain getting through the bonnet scopes (while driving) getting on the K&N filter and harming it and it performance and also the water getting through the filter fucking the engine and other componets (eg AFM)?????

Thanks

Nezza Cool
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: Bonnet Scope (for cold air intake) Sat, 25 January 2003 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well it depends on what type of scoop you put in.

A cosworth vent is actually an Exctration vent ie used to draw air out of the engine bay. It can be used to create a passage for air to be drawn through your pod filter though, but you still need an intake under your air filter or from the front of it.

As this is the case it should let very little air in, especially when moving.

When you have the popup headlights up on a 162 celica it creates a direct passage to your air filter. So if you are going for a bit of a run, try putting your lights up.
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: Bonnet Scope (for cold air intake) Sat, 25 January 2003 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i forgot to say that i would rotat the cosworth extractor backward so they draw air in. and plus even if i had my head light up the grill looks like it still is open and flowing but that only in hte middel not infront of the head lights. But i'm know what i want to do, and how to psoible get it done (might have to get a body shop it install it), but just want to know..... When it raining and if i'm driving along in the RAIN and i have one of thoes bonnet scoops (any bonnet scoop) the rain (water) that enter the scoop because of me driving in it, will that water that has entered the scoop and on to the K&N pod filter will the water harm the filter and then go on to harm the engine but getting it internals wet, etc. And well that much water enter the scoop???????

Thanks, hopefully 3rd time me asking the same question , lucky.

Nezza Cool
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Bonnet Scope (for cold air intake) Sun, 26 January 2003 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ummmm dude are you sure you live in on the Gold Coast hinterland?????

I would not be worried about rain getting into the filter at this point in time man..... it hasn't rained here for like 6-8 months!!!! Very Happy
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: Bonnet Scope (for cold air intake) Sun, 26 January 2003 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cosworth vents are very poor 'intake' vents. Reversing them doesn't work very well.

They weren't designed for this.

If you want an intake scoop or vent I'd look for one specifically designed for this purpose.
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: Bonnet Scope (for cold air intake) Sun, 26 January 2003 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SPEEDCORE wrote on Sun, 26 January 2003 12:31

Ummmm dude are you sure you live in on the Gold Coast hinterland?????

I would not be worried about rain getting into the filter at this point in time man..... it hasn't rained here for like 6-8 months!!!! Very Happy

Funny one mate, in the LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG term.

And, Remedy yeah ok, thanks for the info, my other option was a NACA scoop
http://www.supercars.net/Pic?s=1&id=2213&i =0&p=1993_dodge_viper_gts_concept-1.jpg&y= 1993&m=Dodge&o=Viper%20GTS%20Concept
it like the one on the front of the viper in the link.
or this pic
http://www.audituning.com/galleri/golf/pic5.jpg

Both of the scoops are or very much like the NACA type and thats the one i want, but still is rain bad with bonnet scoops stright to the filter.

Nezza Cool
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Bonnet Scope (for cold air intake) Sun, 26 January 2003 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak i have seen a few cars with air intake vent/scoops like the pic there..
and they seem to go into a sealed looking box for the filter (but i would say at closer inspection there would be some small drain holes in the bottom of them). so they dont seem to worry about the affects of rain into the oil filter..

i used to have mine directly under the i/c, water could get to it easily. but beacause it is a oil coated simota pod, the water just seemed to run straight off.

as for your main question/s about if it could damage your engine, well water injection has been around a long time. so i doubt it will worry it unless it is getting bucket loads..
and the afm is prity well sealed, have you looked in yours? (mines got the flapper door, and it doesnt look to me that water could harm it at all)...
and there is normally always a certain amount of moisture in the air anyway.

hope that helps... Smile
sikmr2
Regular

January 2003
Re: Bonnet Scope (for cold air intake) Mon, 27 January 2003 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have a decent filter i dont think the water will get in at all. On my aw11 when i had the n/a 4age in, the filter was mounted right under the engine vent and it pissed down with rain heaps of times here last winter, the water seemed to run straight off it. My car was always sitting in the rain at work so if water affected the filter it would have been soaked,but nope, always started and ran perfect.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Bonnet Scope (for cold air intake) Mon, 27 January 2003 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As feral4mr2 said, water getting into the intake isnt a problem at all.
Infact it might do the engine some good... it helps clean out the combustion chambers.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Bonnet Scope (for cold air intake) Tue, 28 January 2003 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some vents/scoops have a rain catch that you can stick on when it rains...

Also, to shield the air filter from the rest of the engine bay, don't worry about aluminium and shit like that. Go down to Clark Rubber and buy some fire/oil/petrol resistant heat shielding...

It cost me about $15 and worked a shitload better than the aluminium thing that I was working on.... And no scratched paint either!

wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Bonnet Scope (for cold air intake) Tue, 28 January 2003 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Been watching this thread with interest, as I want to do the same thing, except mount the pod filter directly onto the mouth of turbo at the back of the engine bay.
Is the general consensus that water will run off an oiled filter?
A bit of water in a petrol engine might be ok, but it'd kill my diesel, plus I'm looking at a much bigger scoop, like off a diesel Jackaroo, or is this overkill?
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: Bonnet Scope (for cold air intake) Tue, 28 January 2003 10:42 Go to previous message
Thanks guys for the help, and Nark i'll do that. Metal is a pain in the arse to work with unless u got the good machines, so i'll do what u did, and looks alot more factory than aliminamum.,a nd the rubber would be able to sock the heat better than aliminamum.

Nezza Cool
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AG oil drain
Next Topic:1jz-gte Octane requirements.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 18:33:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045828819274902 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.